xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Softmod Tsop Trouble...  (Read 123 times)

Truceb

• Archived User
Softmod Tsop Trouble...
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »

Hello, I would like to start by saying that I am new to the forum, and that I have referred to this forum for a lot of help, until now, where I need some that I can't just find.

I've seen similar threads to my problem, but mine exceeds the regular "TSOP" situation. I'd like to point out that I am operating on a virgin X-box, previously untouched. I've installed the Splinter Cell exploit, and got my EvolutionX to boot up fine(Used SID4, Backed up the eeprom...etc). I configured the FTP, did everything, and all worked well. Yesterday I realized that I wanted to install a bigger HDD, so I followed pretty much every guide that lists how-to do it. I followed the xboxhdm instructions, put it in my PC, and set it up. All I kept getting was 06 (Locked) and 05 (When Unlocked) I literally tried every option that could have done any help. I then tried to copy over the password from the stock hard drive to the new one via ConfigMagic using the "on-the-fly" option and after trying many times to change it with atapwd and other tools on the CD, this also failed. Luckily I'm knowledgeable enough to get both of these hard drives back into working order.... But I can't seem to get them to boot with the X-Box (One is a Western Digital 160gb, the other a 120gb Maxtor, both ATA, both lockable and compatible.)

It looked like all hope was running out, so then I started to look into using a bios flash to allow the use of swapping hard drives. I found out after a few failed attempts that I needed to solder some points in my motherboard. I found that my motherboard was either V1.2 or V1.5 (Conexant chip, the other chip that ISN'T Hyundai but starts with an H, but in EvolutionX comes up as Winbond W49f020t (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) I then soldered the 2 points that the guide told me to do. Then I found out EvolutionX doesn't flash Winbond, so I looked into flashing it via Eurasia. I copied it into the apps folder, ran Eurasia, burnt a copy of X-ecutioner bios(256kb), put it in the drive when it asked me, and then... I got one of these :

UNKNOWN DEVICE read only??? manf=0x09, dev0=00

Now I am just stumped. I soldered the 2 points, and I even tried modifying the raincoat.cfg to support that Winbond chip, which also brought me back to that error again (I have backups.). I have no idea where to go from here and any help is GREATLY appreciated. I have heard something about soldering a third spot, but I don't know where to locate this, if that is an option, but I thought that I'd rather leave it to someone better here to help me out instead of being the wise guy. Thanks in advance! And I apologize for the lengthy post.
-Truce.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Softmod Tsop Trouble...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »

A Conexant video chip makes it a 1.0-1.3 Xbox. This walkthrough will help you identify it properly.

You don't necessarily have a Winbond. "UNKNOWN DEVICE read only??? manf=0x09, dev0=00" means the chip isn't writeable, and there's a stupid entry in Evox.ini that erroneously reports that as a Winbond instead of unwriteable!

Bottom line, you haven't soldered the points properly - possibly because you haven't identified the Xbox version properly.

Truceb

• Archived User
Softmod Tsop Trouble...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

It is definitely either a V1.2 or V1.3

Will posting pictures of the soldered part help, because I'm sure I did it right  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Also, are you ABSOLUTELY sure that there is no other spots to solder, because I know I did this numerous times with wire/solder/pencil...etc.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Softmod Tsop Trouble...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »

Ah - the 1.5 in your earlier post was a typo!

Yes, only two solder points on the top of the motherboard - pictures 5 and 6 in this link show where they are.

Did you clean and lightly scrape the points before soldering, to remove any coating and oxidation and provide a good contact?

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Feb 5 2009, 05:17 AM

Truceb

• Archived User
Softmod Tsop Trouble...
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »

Nope... But I guess I can re-solder it, since you have me those pictures I know have a direct reference as to what it looks like (And it is Hynix that is my chip, after seeing that one!). I'll try to clean it up this time and give it another spin. I'll post any problems after I try this out again. Thanks.

EDIT : That was KIND OF a typo, I used your guide to identify the actual board.

This post has been edited by Truceb: Feb 5 2009, 05:28 AM

Truceb

• Archived User
Softmod Tsop Trouble...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:54:00 AM »

Alright, we re-soldered it, and it worked! I tried to run the 120gb Maxtor, but it gave me 06, so I unlocked it (Along with the WD) and it works now, one problem though, the dash is M$, and when I try to Softmod again, with Splinter cell, all it does it show a white screen for about 5 seconds, and then reboot the game, the LED is also orange at this time. What does this mean? (I flashed the bios again in Eurasia to try and fix it, but it did the same thing afterwards).

steveo1978

• Recovered User
Softmod Tsop Trouble...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »

if you flashed tsop on your xbox you dont need to softmod just install a dash on C:\

Heimdall

• Archived User
Softmod Tsop Trouble...
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:07:00 AM »

Reflash your chip with iND-BIOS.5003. Boot with Frosty's / Slayers / AID, ftp a clean stock C (from CASH / Slayers) to your C partition. Copy your preferred dash to C or E. Edit ind-bios.cfg to point to your new dash location, and put it in the root of C. Reboot, and you'll have your new dash.

Truceb

• Archived User
Softmod Tsop Trouble...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:00 AM »

Thanks a lot guys! Everything is up and running fine. I do have one more strange off topic question however... If any of you have played Rottx... How can I enable autorun, or yet, change the control to set autorun in a file? (Game doesn't allow to modify controls)