xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Flash 1.1 Help  (Read 145 times)

4everlearning

• Archived User
Flash 1.1 Help
« on: January 13, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »

Ok guys here is my problem. I am flashing a 1.1 box with a split 2way tsop and 512k x2 bios I have used this bios in this form on other box's  without changing it. so i know the bios should work. But the problem is that raincoat erases the bios chip and then stops at 49% reflash. What could I be doing wrong? and no its not a sharp TSOP.

FallsInc

• Archived User
Flash 1.1 Help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:06:00 AM »

so it is a winbond then? did you make a 1mb bios with x2bm?

4everlearning

• Archived User
Flash 1.1 Help
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »

No I resized x2_5035 to 512k. Having the tsop split with a chip (link in lordvader129's sig) the bios I want to flash should be 512k? Correct? I have only done a few TSOP flashes, all have been this way but they where done quite some time ago and I dont remember specs. I re-read tuts to refresh memory. But obviosly I am missing something. Any help is greatly appriciated.

I almost fergot. I used xbtool to resize bios.

FallsInc

• Archived User
Flash 1.1 Help
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »

well, raincoat .5 will not flash the entire thing. you must make a 1mb bios. use x2bm (x2 bios manager) to make the bios 1mb (x2 5035 is a 512k bios). you MUST make it a 1mb image for it to flash the winbond with raincoat .5

now, if you want to retain the original bios, you just put the 5035 file in the raincoat dir. no editing needed. flip the switch to the side you want the bios on (preferably the a19 to gnd as it stresses the mcpx less), and flash. the bar will flash to 50 percent slowly, and then flash the last 50% very fast.

4everlearning

• Archived User
Flash 1.1 Help
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »

Ok well I believe that is what I have done. with the exception to using raincoat .7 instead of .5. Now that you mention it I remember that when I recieved 5035 it was 512k. I just assumed that I would have resized it with xbtool. I will try with raincoat .5 and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help.

in8

• Archived User
Flash 1.1 Help
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(4everlearning @ Jan 26 2007, 01:07 PM) View Post

Ok well I believe that is what I have done. with the exception to using raincoat .7 instead of .5. Now that you mention it I remember that when I recieved 5035 it was 512k. I just assumed that I would have resized it with xbtool. I will try with raincoat .5 and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help.

Raincoat will automatically resize the bios to the proper size it detects from the chip. In this case, that means it will try to write your 5035 bios twice. I am guessing that you are trying to flash just 1 side of the chip, so you have only the switch on the tsop turned on; this will cause raincoat to only be able to write to half the bios (it will report 49% percent). I did this accidentally with a v1.0 box and it managed to survive with the new bios on the proper side of the tsop and the other side unaffected (I am pretty sure it didn't erase the whole tsop, but I could be wrong). But this is probably a bad thing and should be avoided. A better way to flash a split tsop is to allow access to the whole tsop and flash it with a customized 1 MB bios each time. I use (under a dos window) copy /b bios1.bin+bios2.bin new_1mb_bios.bin to make the new bios. This also makes sure that I can recover from a bad flash, assuming that at least 1 of the 2 bioses will boot. Just my $0.02. Look at http://www.xbox-scen...tibios-tsop.php for more info.

Thanks,
~in8

4everlearning

• Archived User
Flash 1.1 Help
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »

Ok I got it. Thanks everyone for your help. I had the switch hooked to A18 instead of A19. That was causing too much load and could not reflash.