xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: V1.1 - Flash The Whole 1mb Before Switch Install ?  (Read 262 times)

Xandros

• Archived User
V1.1 - Flash The Whole 1mb Before Switch Install ?
« on: February 02, 2005, 07:46:00 PM »

I'm in the process of installing a switch into my V1.1 XBox...  
I've heard from many sources that this results in fragging more often than not.  I've been talking with someone from work who said that the 1MB chip just isn't made to be written to twice and that it would be much better to write to it once before installing the switch, then install the switch after.  I read in another post that this would result in the system not booting at all, however that is the only post that I've seen in regards to this approach not working.
Anyway, I put together a BIOS using the Xecuter 4981 and the original 4817 like this: 4981+4981+4817+4817 (correct order?)
I'd like to know what everyone's opinion is of doing it this way... am I doomed for failure, or is it better to install the switch first and flash only one half ?

joedog127

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »

here is what i did and it seemed to work well for me.
I flashed the whole chip with a x4981.06
then i installed the switch (SPDT)
then reflashed with a 256k bios through evox
the first half of the flash bar was slow and the second half went very fast indicating a correct flash.
              joe

Xandros

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 05:56:00 AM »

Thanks for the reply Joedog...
I'll give that a try, but I just wanted to clarify one thing first.
You flashed the whole thing with the 4981.06, then installed the switch and flashed the last two banks with the original MS Bios ?  You mentioned that the last flash (last two banks?) was with a 256k Bios.  I was under the impression that with only one switch that the flashes had to be 512K in size.

JohnnyHunng

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »

Yes ur right Xandros, after u've flashed the entire tsop with ur hacked bios, do nopt go back and only flash half with 256k, size ur stock bios to 512k and flash half of ur tsop with that...That's how i do my splits...Flash entire tsop with hacked, fit switch, come back and flash half with 512k stock bios...Be sure whatever bios ur gonna use the most is on ground side of swtich and whatever is gonna be used the least is on 3.3V side...They say that's safer for the MCPX, although u can always get a heatsink for the MCPX, especially if u wind up doing a 4-way split.

joedog127

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

evox will fill the entire bank from a smaller bios file. hence i used 256k but to be safe use 512k

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »

Bah, too many unnecessary steps!

Install the switch first.  This will give you 2x512 MS BIOS banks.  Then just flash one bank with the BIOS of your choice.  Done!

Flashing the whole 1MB TSOP *before* splitting it kind of defeats the purpose, since if you have a bad flash, use wrong BIOS, etc., then you've already trashed the whole TSOP.

Xandros

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 07:24:00 PM »

Yeah, it is a few more steps... but like I said in my original post I'm kind of paranoid about flashing a chip that was designed for one consecutive flash, plus I've heard way too many stories of fragging by flashing the TSOP with two separate flashes and the switch already installed.  I've already flashed with 4981.06 so as soon as I get a chance to install the switch I'll go ahead with the stock Bios flash.  I'll post back with the results...

FallsInc

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »

yes, perplexer has it the right way...

install the switch, and flash both.. you can make it easy on your self and just use 1mb files, if you dont know how to cut the sizes, and the xbox will turn off at the 50% mark.

Slrpgeit

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 05:31:00 PM »

tsop's aren't designed for 1 flash, they're designed for millions of flashes.

Xandros

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »

I meant 1 consecutive flash... not flashing over and over

Xandros

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »

Ok...  I've flashed the entire TSOP with the x4981.06... and the switch has been installed.  I went into Evox, but I don't see my stock Bios (4817).  I'd like to reflash with the original Bios and I only have the 256Kb 4817 Bios.  The XBTool that I have won't open the stock Bios, but I have the 256kb to 1mb conversion tools, but not a 256kb to 512kb tool.  Does one exist, or will the 256kb to 1Mb tool work to make a 512Kb Bios ?  Are there any auto installers that are configured with the 4817 original Bios ?

JohnnyHunng

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »

U don't open a stock bios in xbtool, u size it...launch xbtool, put the checkmark in the 512k bubble, click the size button, choose ur stock bios, save it/name it, done, 512k stock bios.

Xandros

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 12:23:00 AM »

Ah, but of course !  So simple... thanks !

Xandros

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

Xandros

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 08:29:00 PM »

Argh !  The system was working fine for about a week !  Now I'm getting what looks to be fragging...  It worked fine this morning, but when I got home from work and powered it on, it sounded like it was about to turn on then it went dead... then it tried to power on again... then it went dead again... then it tried again for a third time and it powered on fully, but nothing came on the screen and the led was flashing green/red.  I re-soldered the switch and tried a new IDE cable (directly to the HDD - took the removeable drive bay out of the equation)... I even replaced the power supply, but no luck.  It's just the fact that it sounded like it tried to power up 3 times before the flashing light started - is this indicative of a typical fragging ?  Any suggestions as to what the best course of action might be from this point ?
Pages: [1] 2