xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Refuses To Work  (Read 72 times)

tUNER

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« on: June 05, 2004, 05:59:00 PM »

About one week ago, i took my xbox apart, and put it back together.  after screwing the lid back on, i tested it, and all of a sudden a loud flash, but no smoke.  So i turned it off, opened it up, and found that one of the chips screwed onto the heatsink (on the powersupply), had broken in half.  So i decided to replace the powersupply with an ATX powersupply i had lying around.  Using my trusty manual, "Hacking the Xbox", i changed the power connector over to xbox standard.  i plugged everything back in, and now all the fans spin away, the harddrive is also spinning.  whats weird is that there is no video signal, the dvd-drive doesnt work, and neither do the power/reset buttons.  There are no visible problems with the motherboard, such as burn marks.  I followed the troubleshooting list in the book, and used my own detective work, to try and find out whats wrong, but now im completely stumped.   :uhh:   <

cueball13

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »

Hmm, I've never used Bunnie's method, but I do know that when you use it that whenever the switch on the psu is on, the fans, hd, etc will power on. Then, you have to push the powerbutton to get the mobo/video to come on. So your problem might have something to do with the signal for the motherboard to turn on. There's an old thread on here with a better way to do the conversion which does not require switching the psu on/off which you might want to search for....it's in this forum. Also, you can buy those adapters from www.tribemods.com.  <

tUNER

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »

Would the motherboard not turning on cause nothing but black video to show up when it is "turned on".  hopefully the motherboard isnt fried  <

IITangoCrazy

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »

u cant just replace a xbox psu with an atx psu

u need an adapter like is mentioned by cueball

u can get it from www.tribemods.com  <

_Cold_Fusion_

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »

can you ftp to your box?
You would want to hope you cant because then you know your mobo isnt fried.  <

clown88

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »

loud flash
:jester:   <

moron

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 09:24:00 PM »

Why don't you just buy a new Xbox PSU? That way, if there's still a problem, it's not anything with the PSU.  <

tUNER

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »

sry it took me so long to respond.  i was messing around with the xbox, and i found out that something is wrong.  I removed all the components from the case, power button, etc.., and when i plugged it in and held the powerbutton at the same time, the fans would power on/ then power right back off, and it would do this completely until i stopped holding the button.  I really am not sure that a new xbox powersupply would do it, and if it doesnt it would be a waste of money.  But today i was playing around with it and found that when i plug in the atx powersupply, the fans spin.. ok, then after they start to run, i press and hold the power button.  the lights on the button flash yellow for an instant then turn back off.  What is Wrong.    <

bvic01

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »

someone who knows the xbox error codes will be of much more help here...  <

tUNER

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »

thats the thing, even with the television on, nothing is displayed on the screen, just black video.  Could it be a voltage problem, because i am using a version 1.0 xbox, but im using an atx powersupply modded with help from bunnie's book. Or could the motherboard be dead  <

bvic01

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 05:16:00 PM »

no what i mean, is that the front panel LED's give error codes too.  For example, all red is system failue, overheated.  BRB, ill look up the code for you...  <

tUNER

• Archived User
Xbox Refuses To Work
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »

i looked it up here and it said something relating to a broken trace, after carefully examining my motherboard i notice right below the gpu fan connection a trace broken in two places.  You know the 5 things that say K41014V, well a while back i broke one off accidently while trying to mod my case, i soldered it back on fine and it worked.  when my powersupply went dead, i wanted to make sure that it wasnt dead, so i unsoldered it, then resodered it back on.  there are two traces that navigate right above the solder points.  I guess when i was resoldering i accidently mustve hit the traces with the soldering iron. I followed the traces and they lead near a blank memory chip.  Would this thing cause such a big problem.
 <