xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Burnt Box When Doing A Tsop Split?  (Read 109 times)

A.Z.BEST

• Archived User
Burnt Box When Doing A Tsop Split?
« on: March 03, 2004, 04:54:00 AM »

So, I was wondering is TSOP split really safe. I modded 3 boxes using that method, and one of them was down :P. The MCPX burnt. So I wonder; was it my fault, or does forcing the A18 (or A19) can blow the MCPX chip. Anyone of you did many TSOP split mods? I just wanna make sure, cause I would like to have it in my new/old :) box and do it for friends, etc. Thx for replies.

This post has been edited by A.Z.BEST®: Mar 3 2004, 12:55 PM

terrorvis

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 05:08:00 AM »

Many people say to put a heat sink on the MCPX.  Some people say to do it even if you havent done a switch.  I guess that it is worth making sure the grouded side of the switch is also the bios(s) you use most!  Make sure you try 3.3 volts before trying 5.  

Zil_Daggo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 05:36:00 AM »

I am w/ terrorvis here, I personaly have done ~20 TSOP only a handfull w/ switches though, I have never used a heatsink in the MPX but have ALWAYS used a 3.3v source (LPC)

Happy modding,
-Daggo

venturahighway

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 09:53:00 AM »

just cut the traces back to the MCPX.  really, why would one leave them connected? for a center-off setup the the only situation I can think of.  

powercntrl

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »

I've done it quite a few times using GND <- A19 -> 3.3v VCC and had no problems.  I don't think there's any reason to worry about it burning out the MCPX.  One of these days I am gonna use my multitester to test the amperage draw is to put an end to this "you'll fry your MCPX" worry once and for all.  The MCPX normally runs pretty damn hot, so while you're in there it might not be a bad idea to add a heatsink regardless.

ps2wiz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 01:17:00 AM »

To what MCPX are you guys refering too?

A.Z.BEST

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 04:47:00 AM »

QUOTE (Zil_Daggo @ Mar 3 2004, 03:29 PM)
I am w/ terrorvis here, I personaly have done ~20 TSOP only a handfull w/ switches though, I have never used a heatsink in the MPX but have ALWAYS used a 3.3v source (LPC)

Happy modding,
-Daggo

I didn't mean the overheat of the MCPX. After I put that mobo to the case it started to flash red/green, so I touched the MCPX... guess what? The chip got brown after 5 seconds and I burnt my finger :D. That's the blowing I meant. Anyway; putting a sink on the MCPX is a damnly good idea... So you are sure guys, that it is safe :)?

ps2wiz: MCPX is an Xbox's northbridge - thats the naked chip with nVidia logo and without any heatsink on it.

This post has been edited by A.Z.BEST®: Mar 4 2004, 12:50 PM