xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Tsop Switch - Made Easy  (Read 96 times)

midiemulation

• Archived User
Xbox Tsop Switch - Made Easy
« on: February 20, 2004, 06:19:00 AM »

This guide will teach you easily how to split your already flashed tsop or to flash a tsop that needs to have a switch placed on it. If you have any questions feel free to private message me. -Midiemulation

When I am doing a tsop split. I don't use any solder at all except to heat up and secure the a19 point. I melt the solder for the vcc and gnd which are BOTH on the LPC traces from the TOP of the motherboard and let the wire slide in from the bottom. This is an extremely secure way to attach these two.

The center switch point (picture 1 bottom point) I slide into the a19 hole (use awg22 gauge wire - found at radio shack) It is ok if it shows thru the top as there is nothing for it to touch and damage. Plus having more wire that fits perfectly in that area insures a better connection. Then i add a small amount of solder to the bottom of the board at a19 and attach your wires to the switch (picture 2).

The secret I use is to first flash your 1meg bios first as follows:
(256k xecuter)+(256k xeceuter)+(256k xecuter )+(256k xecuter )

First off use the same xecuter bios for this one. We are just cutting it into parts (if you have a 1meg) or making mirror images of it (if you have 256k)When i specify the I am speaking about using xbtool and x2m programs that you can find from the usual places to change the xbox boot color to blue that way to know whether or not your switch is working before flashing with 2 different bios's that you can't recover from. {refering to the old way of grounding for the tsop split.}

For example:
1. You have a 256 or 1 meg xecuter bios.
2. Open xbtool and save it as a 256k.
3. Then change the X logo color to blue.
4. Save as another 256k (blue)
5. Use x2m to build your bios making the first 2 regular 256k xecuter bios's and the last two 245k xecuter bios's.
6. Flash your 1meg tsop with the 1meg bios that has the split colors on it.

(IMG:http://www32.brinkster.com/modcase/split.jpg)
(IMG:http://www32.brinkster.com/modcase/flip.jpg)

Your done. Then attach your switch. When connecting the switch connect a19 (the small point in the first pic) to the center of your switch (picture 2). Then attach the other two wires (from the top - LPC) to either side.  When you boot it one side should show up blue and one side should show up green. If it works like that, your safe to flash your blue bios with your original xbox bios (in 512k format) or any other bios of your choice to the blue side. - The beauty of this is that if you ever mess up one side of your tsop. You are able to fix it by booting with the working side, flipping the switch, and reflashing the bad 512k flash.

Another little bit of information i've come across - If you accidentally flash a 1.0 or 1.1 mobo with a 256k bios, just connect all 3 wires that are shown in either picture together and the xbox will boot using only its first 256 bios. Fixing your bad flash! I figure that knowing this could save a select few some money so i am quoting it again :)  heh

Cheers,
Midiemulation

(BTW - Sorry about the quality of the pics - All work was done in MS Paint.

This post has been edited by midiemulation: Feb 21 2004, 04:32 AM

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 07:34:00 AM »

Wow, this has made it so simple for me, definatly worth considering tsoping mine now.

midiemulation

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 09:43:00 AM »

.bump

pewpster

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (midiemulation @ Feb 20 2004, 04:12 PM)

Another little bit of information i've come across - If you accidentally flash a 1.0 or 1.1 mobo with a 256k bios, just connect all 3 wires that are shown in either picture together and the xbox will boot using only its first 256 bios. Fixing your bad flash! I figure that knowing this could save a select few some money so i am quoting it again smile.gif  heh

I would be very carful with connecting VCC, A19 and GND all at the same time.  I did a box and hooked up ground in the middle of the switch by mistake, and one side worked, but when I flipped the switch it melted all the insulation off the wires.  I almost soiled myself when I saw smoke pouring out of the back of the xbox.  Nothing was damaged, i just replaced the wire, but it is something I would be really careful of.

I think you are suppose to use 2 switches to split up the TSOP 4 ways.

Another option besides flashing the entire TSOP is to put in the swtich first and then flash one half with an exploit.  Then there is no way to screw up the other half.  If you bungle up the flash, boot the good side, flip the switch, and try again.

A@ron

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »

There is a top A19 point that can be used so you actually can run all the wires on the top, which I find more preferable. This point is in a post in this forum by myself and is near the MCPX chip

A@ron

A@ron

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 05:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (midiemulation @ Feb 20 2004, 10:12 AM)
Another little bit of information i've come across - If you accidentally flash a 1.0 or 1.1 mobo with a 256k bios, just connect all 3 wires that are shown in either picture together and the xbox will boot using only its first 256 bios. Fixing your bad flash! I figure that knowing this could save a select few some money so i am quoting it again smile.gif  heh

I dont see how putting A19 to ground and Vcc (3.3V I believe) would cause the tsop to boot the top 256kb bank. In order to do this you would need to use A19 and A18 (which A18 is not one of your 3 points in your diagram). Someone correct me if I am wrong of course but I dont think this information is correct.

A@ron

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 05:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (A@ron @ Feb 24 2004, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (midiemulation @ Feb 20 2004, 10:12 AM)

I dont see how putting A19 to ground and Vcc (5V I believe) would cause the tsop to boot the top 256kb bank. In order to do this you would need to use A19 and A18 (which A18 is not one of your 3 points in your diagram). Someone correct me if I am wrong of course but I dont think this information is correct.

A@ron

yeah, you need to put a18 and a19 to 5v to boot formt eh top, both to ground to boot from the bottom

actually, putting all three wires fromt eh picture (5v, ground and a19) will cause 5v to be shorted to ground, which will generate alot of heat and probably melt the wires and who knows what itll do when connected to a19

pewpster

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »

QUOTE (lordvader129 @ Feb 25 2004, 03:42 AM)
actually, putting all three wires fromt eh picture (5v, ground and a19) will cause 5v to be shorted to ground, which will generate alot of heat and probably melt the wires and who knows what itll do when connected to a19

It does check my post further up.

I would be very carful with connecting VCC, A19 and GND all at the same time. I did a box and hooked up ground in the middle of the switch by mistake, and one side worked, but when I flipped the switch it melted all the insulation off the wires. I almost soiled myself when I saw smoke pouring out of the back of the xbox. Nothing was damaged, i just replaced the wire, but it is something I would be really careful of.

And this was using VCC 3.3, VCC 5 would have been worse.