xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Whoohoo! I Flashed My First Tsop  (Read 143 times)

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
Whoohoo! I Flashed My First Tsop
« on: February 06, 2004, 08:34:00 AM »

Sorry for the wasted bandwith, but I just wanted to thank all the great tutorials here on xbox-scene. I flashed my friends v1.0 xbox last night without the use of solder! I didn't use a pencil or a screw driver to try to short the 2 sides. But the CircuitWriter conductive pen worked like a charm. All in all, it took my friend and I an hour to open up the xbox, find the points, and flash. Just for the curious, here's what I did.

I downloaded both the 007AUF raincoat and with EvoX version from XBINS. But decedided to go with the EvoX version since I had a little bit more expereince with EvoX than with raincoat.

I also downloaded the X2 4981 bios from xbins, opened it up in the latest xbtool to reorder the dash boot sequence and save as a 1meg bios.

I upload everything to a mem card and saved it on my buddys xbox.

Loaded up EvoX through 007 on his yet unopened xbox to see if everything worked. And then backed up everything.

Then we proceeded to open up the xbox. It was a bit scary taking out the MB for the first time.

Then we proceeded to look for the 2 points on the top of the xbox. And I was daym surprised at how small they were. This made me feel a lot better at not going the soldering iron way. (please note I did solder before, but given the ease of a conductive pen method, I chose to use the conductive pen instead.)

I masked off the immediate area around the 2 points with electrical tape so just the 2 points and the small gap between them were showing.

I then shook the pen like crazy for a minute to make sure it was nice and mixed before filling in the gap between the points with the conductive ink. It was a little messy and the ink did go on top of the electrical tape.

But as soon as I was satisfied that I covered the 2 points and the gap, I lifted the electrical tape template and was surprised to see how clean the job looked leaving an almost perfect rectangle over the 2 points. I let the top side dry for about 15mins just to be sure before I flipped the MB over to do the other side.

We then put everything back together. Fired up 007, and flashed the BIOS through evox! It rebooted and the xecuter2 logo showed up and we were in business!  :beer:  

xboxhacker2004

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »

Awesome! Where did you buy this electrical conductive pen? What's the make and part number?

I've been usnig a rear window defroster repair kit and it works wonders too! Once you flashed it, you can use a little alcohol and rub it off or scrape it off to prevent accidental flashing, etc... Ten times better and easier than trying to solder the biatch.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 08:44:00 AM »

I think I would still solder the points. I mean the ink may go funny over time. Solder wouldn't :). And After I solderd mine I would still like to install a switch to multiboot :). Glad the pen worked for you.

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 08:46:00 AM »

I'm lucky enough to be near a Fry's electronics. So I bought the "CircuitWriter Conductive Pen" as some other users here had recommended for $13. I would have gone the defogger route, but I wasn't too sure about the whole toothpick method everyone else was saying. I kept envisioning myself dropping a clump of the defogger stuff on my MB somewhere as I tried to cover up the 2 points. I wish I had taken pictures while going through the steps now that I see Yuyu's request pinned up on top. I'll be doing this again next week with my brother in laws xbox so theres still a chance I can take more pics.

<--- Still overly stoked about the whole ordeal. LOL  :P  

who_carres

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 08:52:00 AM »

What is a conductive pen?

Can some one try to explain for me...??  

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 08:52:00 AM »

To be honest, I would love to have soldered the points instead of used a pen. It's just that:

1. I haven't soldered anything that small before my entire life and was a bit intimidated.

2. I trully have shakey hands. My hand was all over the place when I was trying to cover up the gap with the ink.

3. I wanted to see if it really did work with the conductive ink pen. Just goes to show there are ALTERNATIVES out there.

If I practiced a bit more for maybe even 15mins with a soldering iron and an old board, I bet I could have done the job just as easily with a soldering iron. But like I said, I wanted to see if the alternative way would work and it does flawlessly... At least in my expereince anyway.  :lol:  

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 08:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (who_carres @ Feb 6 2004, 06:16 PM)
What is a conductive pen?

Can some one try to explain for me...??

According to the website:

Precision Conductive Ink
Applies instant traces on most surfaces (epoxy, glass, plastic, metal).

Draw traces on circuit boards, repair defective traces, make jumpers and shield electronics, design prototype circuits and repair rear-window heater traces.

CircuitWriter Pen, 100%, silver-based, 7 ml Part No. CW100P

who_carres

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 09:48:00 AM »

If i have a pen like that..

Can o draw lines istead of use wires and stuff like that?  

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »

If you don't have any traces in between the 2 points on your circuit board that you want to connect, then yes you can use this same pen to "draw traces" instead of a wire. But if you're talking about connecting 2 distant points on the xbox, I would say NO DON'T DO IT.

This thing appears to do its best work when you "jumper" 2 close points together as what is needed when write enabling the TSOP.

romeoso

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 11:43:00 PM »

I've used the same kind of conductive pen, the CircuitWriter.  It does work great... The only problem I have with it is that it clogs up at the tip sometime.. but at least its gettin' the job done.  heh.

Dreamcazman

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 02:54:00 AM »

QUOTE (-FourDoor- @ Feb 6 2004, 04:58 PM)
All in all, it took my friend and I an hour to open up the xbox, find the points, and flash.

Good stuff in flashing the TSOP with the pen, but you'll need to work on your speed!

I did a friends Xbox this arvo. Flashed the TSOP (soldered points) and installed an 80Gb HDD all up and running in less than an hour.

But then again, I've done over a dozen Xboxen now  B)

I remember the first time I did my TSOP flash. I was so careful, took me ages before I got the courage to flash and then ended up stuffing it by flashing a damn txt file (using Xflash). Guess I wasn't careful enough.

I had to recover using a 29 wire homebrew, but hey you learn by your mistakes.

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 07:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (Dreamcazman @ Feb 7 2004, 04:18 AM)
QUOTE (-FourDoor- @ Feb 6 2004, 04:58 PM)
All in all, it took my friend and I an hour to open up the xbox, find the points, and flash.

Good stuff in flashing the TSOP with the pen, but you'll need to work on your speed!

I did a friends Xbox this arvo. Flashed the TSOP (soldered points) and installed an 80Gb HDD all up and running in less than an hour.

But then again, I've done over a dozen Xboxen now  B)

I remember the first time I did my TSOP flash. I was so careful, took me ages before I got the courage to flash and then ended up stuffing it by flashing a damn txt file (using Xflash). Guess I wasn't careful enough.

I had to recover using a 29 wire homebrew, but hey you learn by your mistakes.

Keep in mind that 30 mins of that hour was used to watch the conductive ink dry.  :P But you're right. I was sooooo daym careful putting the daym MB back in the case it was hillarious.

romeoso: You're right about the clogging part. I had a paper towel handy after each dab of the pen to clean off the excess just in case.

Dreamcazman

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »

QUOTE (-FourDoor- @ Feb 7 2004, 03:55 PM)
Keep in mind that 30 mins of that hour was used to watch the conductive ink dry.

oh yeah, forgot about that  :P

I've never needed to use conductive ink you see.

Yuyu

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 07:02:00 PM »

Just go done with an Xbox about 15 minutes ago took half an hour to undo it, hit the points, and flash... Why ? How ? I used Solder Weld from Radio Shack $3.99!
No need to even tape off the points, just dabbed a bit on the points, used a candle lighter (the ones with the long shaft) to heat till it bubbled a bit, remove heat and used one of those handheld fans to dry, dried in 5 minutes... flipped MOBo rinsed and repeated...

I have to say this stuff is quite simply awsome...

To you RadioShack  :beer:  

xannax

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »

You said you live my a Fry's Electronics. I also do in phoenix Arizona. That is the most awsome store EVER!! I walk in and I tear up every time I enter. Its like Geekers Disneyland.

Xannax Overdose