xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 29 Wire Question  (Read 360 times)

Zedek

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »

You need to flash it with a bios that supports homebrew software.  If you can do that, then burn an evox boot CD with config magic on it.  With that, you can modify/restore the eeprom.

Good luck

Arakon

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2004, 03:47:00 PM »

the chip is too slow. you need 70-90 ns MAX for this.. 90 can already be too slow.

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2004, 06:04:00 PM »

I disagree on the speeds

I got far better results on my homebrew with these chips

homebrew DIP32's

2 x W49F002U-12B  -  ripped from 2 x pc mobo's

&

SST39SF020 90-4C-PH - also ripped from a pc mobo

in all 3 mobo's are the AMD's

AM29F040B 90 PC - half flashed these 512kb dip32's with the back up of the pc bios via uniflash on an old pentium pc

grief yup but would never buy another AMD dip32, maybe my wires are a bit long but why did the other 2 makes work straight away and can be reflashed via evox and still work is a mystery to me

jeez I had some fun thinking my soldering was crap when it wasn't in the end

BaDvs3viL

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

ph34r.gif

Ok.....Here's what I got.....I had a 29 wire before that I ordered online and I ended up selling it and didnt want to order a new one.....So I decided to try to make my own....I went through all my old MoBo's and found these FlashRoms

Winbond - W29C020 - 90
Winbond - W49F002U - 12B
MX - 28F1000PPC - 12C4
Atmel - AT29C010A - 12PC
Flash - P28F001 - BXT150

I got my old computer ready to start tring to flash any of these....I just want to know which of these would be the best to use.....

One other thing I need to know is....The ver of XBOX Im going to try this on first is a 1.4 with a focus....So what do/should I know to do this...Ive been reading all the tut's, But I just want to make sure.....

Any help is greatly app....

Thanks in advance.....

EDIT.....

And BTW...Can I use The 4981.06 as a Bios to flash to one of these chips?

dfect

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »

the Winbond - W29C020 - 90 should work nice i think.

the other Winbond - W49F002U - 12B is not the same chip, and u cant install it as a homerew 29w chip, but u can install it as a cheapmod i think, but its VERY hard afaik to install a cheapmod on the new machines with focus-chip

the Atmel - AT29C010A - 12PC is too small though, it only has 128k and u must at least have a 256k..

the others i dont know bout.., could be eeprom and not flash-roms, that u must erase via uv-flash or something like that bfore u can reprog it.

the 4981.06 should do fine.

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2004, 08:21:00 PM »

Winbond - W49F002U - 12B

This chip is a good homebrew !!!

however I could not flash it with uniflash properly.....

but I did in the end solder in using an eject dip32 socket - fitted to a tsop 1.0 mobo, booted on tsop, plugged the homebrew on switched on the 5v and flashed it through evox.....

this then was fitted into my other hosed 1.0 and booted perfectly, cut wires and flashed the 1mb ST tsop with my proper xecuter 2 bios rather than the bfm one that screwed it up

dunno why it didn't wanna flash under uniflash

before anyone says i did this n that wrong - ergh the poxy amd 512kb's were reflashed under uniflash with the pc bios that was read off the Winbond - W49F002U - 12B's - and both pc's are running fine with the hlaf flashed amd bios in them.

here's a few things i noticed:

4979 didn't seem to work on these but 4976.02 and M7 did ?????

dunno - bloomin weird this homebrew stuff

Dreamcazman

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »

I've got a 29wire homebrew chip that I got off a friend with an AMD AM29F040B - 90 and it works perfectly, but it has Evox 2.2 on it. Can this chip be flashed with an updated bios using Evox?

The pins 31/32 and 22/24 go to a double pole switch, which then goes to the corresponding point on the Xbox mobo (next to points 25 and 26) This is to enable/disable the modchip.

If this chip can't be flashed using Evox, what brand/type can be used when hooked up to an Xbox usig this wiring configuration?

Dreamcazman

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2004, 09:51:00 PM »

No matter, I found a tutorial.

Thanks anyways

BaDvs3viL

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2004, 12:41:00 PM »

but I did in the end solder in using an eject dip32 socket - fitted to a tsop 1.0 mobo, booted on tsop, plugged the homebrew on switched on the 5v and flashed it through evox.....

This Question is for Pizza Pizz....Or anybody else that can answer it......

So lets see if I got this right?......You could not flash the Winbond - W49F002U - 12B with Uniflash.......which I cant either......So if I read your post right.....You did flash the Winbond - W49F002U - 12B using the XBOX.....And it looks like you solderd all 29 ponits and had a switch to turn off the homebrew.....Then you booted the XBOX using the TSOP and then after booting flip the switch so that the Winbond - W49F002U - 12B would be on and then flashed it?

How big of a Bios did you use? and I seen you used 4976.02 and M7, Hopefully I can flash it with the 4981.06 or something with focus support, since the xbox that I have to fix is a 1.4......

Hopefully that is what you said about using the xbox to flash it...man that would be perfect....I could use my 1.0 to flash it....

Even tho I found out today why my old computer would not flash any of these chips....It was because there was a hidden wink.gif Jumper to disable bios flashing....So I am going to try again when I get off work.....But just as a second option....If I can flash it using a working xbox?

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2004, 01:32:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

if all went well - then the xbox should boot on its own tsop without the homebrew installed

if not then plug homebrew back on and see what you are doing wrong - would be a bitch if ya forgot to include ya own tsop in the evox.ini or raincoat.cfg and you just cut all the wires to the homebrew - lol

hence the eject socket is a must buy for tsop revivers

phew - that is a lot of crap but hopefully it should help some peeps out a bit

I got a old moody ver 1.0 mobo that is still setup with the homebrew flash socket so I can flash n test different dip32 homebrew's

dunno why the AMD didn't wanna know - it flashed ok and kinda worked but was a timing issue on the switch being enabled - if I switch AMD on a split second after the xbox was trying to 3 reboot/frag it would sometimes boot up on the AMD but was hit n miss
might be something to do with that capacitor peeps mentioned but the winbond hombrew works very well on M7 everytime

still dunno why it was being an ass about later X2 bios - yes they worked ok coz used same X2 bios on lpc mods and focus/1.4 tsop's

best of luck to all tsop peeps

jeez i got cramp / RSI now - but took me about hour to type this up but in real life this was about a fornight of stress
a week to research and order what I needed - then about a week of cursing when my amd didn't wanna know - even though uniflash on my pc said all flashed fine but xbox said frag
In pure desperation I ripped a pc apart, nicked the winbond, backed up the pc bios - flashed to moody amd chip - pc still worked with new amd bios - cool
BUT then realised I couldn't flash the winbond on my pc's uniflash so went down the evox method on another working ver 1.0 mobo

THIS MEANT MY 29 WIRE WAS OVER 60 WIRES IN THE END AFTER FITTING IT UP ON A WORKING MOBO THEN MY HOSED TSOP MOBO

JEEZ REAL GRIEF BUT IT WORKED - good fun

can say that now but my arse fell out when things weren't going right and my tsop was still hosed with a poxy 4978 BFM bios

BFM = BLOODY FUCKED MOBO

Geremia

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2004, 02:33:00 AM »

http://www.xbox-scen...ashhomebrew.php

W49F002 need Pin1 (#RESET) connected to 5v

Pizza Pizz

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2004, 03:43:00 AM »

Great tutorial - pity ya didn't post it before I typed my essay - lol

but just checked and on both homebrew eject sockets I wired in I didn't use a pin 1 or A18 connection when I flashed my homebrews:

2 x Winbond - W49F002U
&
1 x SST 39SF020

The SST is my favorite homebrew as it flashed to 4979 on the first attempt

dunno why the Winbond didn't like some later X2 bios's though ?

MrOnline

• Archived User
29 Wire Question
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »

ohmy.gif
Pages: 1 [2]