xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Make Only Half Of Tsop Flashable...  (Read 78 times)

Noilegnave Siseneg Noen

• Archived User
Make Only Half Of Tsop Flashable...
« on: July 29, 2003, 11:42:00 AM »

I really don't have a need to have both halves of the TSOP to be flashable.  Is it possible to, say, just solder one set of the flash-enabling jumpers instead of both to make only half of the TSOP flashable?  Or are both required to allow write access?

Also, my soldering skills are admittedly substandard.  I can attach a switch to gnd, vcc, A19 without too much difficulty.  But for some reason I seem to lack the technique to solder these damn jumpers together with any sort of repeatability.  Did it to my box without too much of a problem...but I've been dicking around with a friend's box all last night, and having a hell of a time with those jumpers not connecting.  I'm afraid I'm going to pork a hole through his damn board before I get his TSOP flashable.  so, it would save me some headache if I could just do one or the other, but not both.  

-nsn

p.s.  also, if anybody has the ability to capture in words an effective technique to bridging those jumpers, it would be appreciated!  I know it would probably be more comprehensive to be shown, but alas this could be difficult on a forum...

psxguy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 12:36:00 PM »

You need to solder both points to enable write access to the TSOP. I know what u mean about soldering the jumpers bein a pain. Your best bet is to use a short length of wire no more than 2-3 inches, then solder each end to each square, then repeat for the other side. with this method, you can then cut the wire when u want to disable write access.

You can also bridge the TSOP this way...

http://liquefaction.org/matrix/

Noilegnave Siseneg Noen

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »

thanx, very helpful info.  Think I'll dig back in and try that 3" wire method, maybe I'll have more success that way.

another question:  what will remove the blackish resin stuff that gets left behind when you try to solder some point for a long time?  Is this stuff called flux?  will isopropanol remove it?  I can't even see the points on the top of the mobo anymore cuz there's so much of that crud.

guess I'll find out later...

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 09:13:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

Noilegnave Siseneg Noen

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 02:01:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif

regulater7

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 05:42:00 PM »

Just clean the TSOP Jumpers with alchohal, VERY WELL, theres a "liquid protection" crap type shit on the board to help protect, once its removed its very easy/