xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dashes Load, Apps Won't!  (Read 81 times)

CJLee89

• Archived User
Dashes Load, Apps Won't!
« on: April 30, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »

try FTPing over new files of both evox and XBMC..the may have become corrupted.

cataphoresis

• Archived User
Dashes Load, Apps Won't!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »

Tried, no luck. FTP'd default.xbe (renamed to evoxdash.xbe) and XboxMediaCenter.xml with the <HOME> value set to F:\Apps\XBMC, but when the xbox reloaded it just hung. Besides, that wouldn't explain why retail games wouldn't work. There's nothing wrong with the XBMC files (I've tried 4 different T3CH compiles), there's something else messed up and for the life of me I can't figure out what.

Anybody with a 1.6, an SPIce, and a big (138+ GB HD) out there? What bios do you use? What MS dash version? And if I change versions of the MS dash, should it be flashed to TSOP or to FLASH in Xenium OS? My current X2.5035 is set as FLASH, with the MS dash as TSOP. Does xboxdash.xbe need to be on a drive other than C? Does anything need to be on F?

Further explanation of my setup:
Dash is on C:, games/apps on F and G. Been able to launch Avalaunch and XSNES9X off the F drive and roms off the G drive, so those aren't the problem - but just about nothing else will run, booting me right back to the EvoX screen after about 15 seconds of the "Loading" screen. Same problem for HD based games as DVD based games.

Ugh! This is infuriating! Thanks for all the help though! I appreciate it!

CJLee89

• Archived User
Dashes Load, Apps Won't!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

when u flash the retail kernal...u go to add item>>TSOP>>select LED color of light u want when the retail bios is launched.

when u add a hacked bios u need to add item>>flash>>select the bios bin file>> select LED color u want when the hacked bios is launched.

to find out if ur dash files needs upgraded pop in halo 2 or other live enabled game and select the live option within the game w/o having an ethernet cord connected....it should update ur dash files if needed.  MS dash needs to be on C:\.

it also wouldnt hurt to get the iceguide from teamxodus.com in the download section!!

cataphoresis

• Archived User
Dashes Load, Apps Won't!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »

I hate to reply to myself, but an update: just tried all the same but with the EvoX M8 v16 patched for LBA and got the same result.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Dashes Load, Apps Won't!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »

u posted right after i did..look above hope that helps!!  spice guide   link to spice guide that might help also.

JonBOY

• Archived User
Dashes Load, Apps Won't!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »

In relation to games that don't work, boot your dash and navigate to E:\cache. Delete any files in here (these files are automatically regerated so they're fine to delete, if you're worried though just back them up to your PC first). See if the games now work.

As to your apps that wont load, try them again and see if clearing the cache has helped. If not, launch your MS dashboard by whatever bios you want (retail kernel or through EvoX, doesn't matter). Go to your memory section then delete the game save off the HDD for the apps that wont work. See if that helps. Try it for one app first, if it works do the rest.

cataphoresis

• Archived User
Dashes Load, Apps Won't!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »

Went to the cache directories and cleared them - no luck (E/F/X/Y/Z). Went under MS dash and deleted all the saves (after backing them up with XBSM), still no luck. Someone on the IRC channel suggested the Parental controls might be the fault, but when I load the MS Dash and go under System, I've got no place to set the Parental Controls (only Audio/Video/etc). I opened Avalaunch, which also has access to the Parental Controls, and I had some mixed results. When set to "Allow to Adults" I was able to get some of my retail games like Fuzion Frenzy and emus like FCEUltra and z26 to run. When set to "No Limit", nothing would run - either from EvoX, Ava, or the MS Dash.

I've tried using the MS Dash backup on the Slayer's EvoX 2.6 disk, which is 5960, but I'm still getting all of nowhere. I tried running dashupdate.xbe that came with Halo 2, and it said the dash was already updated. Still no Parental Controls option.

I've tried lots of odd things, changing the bios to an FC bios (and obviously moving files to F), locking and unlocking the drive, tried both EvoX M8 and 2 different X2 bioses - all with the same result. I swear there's something wrong with my xboxdash.xbe - but I can go into the MS dash, rip CDs, view savegames, change settings, etc.

This one is baffling me.

JonBOY

• Archived User
Dashes Load, Apps Won't!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »

thats weird then. I've never heard of parental controls being an issue like this before.

This is something that you'd probably only be looking to do as a last resort but if you still have yor original HDD you could do a completely new install. I'd use the HDD upgrade wizard to reformat the upgrade HDD and start fresh. Re-install XBMC as your dash and check that it works. If it does, go about re-installing all your other apps, checking each one works ok before installing the next. If you install something that causes the system to hang again at least you'll know what it was.

Actually, just another thought, you could go in and reformat your drives separately and use FTP to re-transfer all the files back onto each, would save you from having to reformat your F and G drives and losing a lot of data (assumming you have plenty of games etc back up there). Although if the problem is something to do with these drives you run the risk of it all being a waste of time.

If you don't have  lot of data to lose (or if you're able to back up your data to your PC), I'd go with a completely fresh install using the upgrade wizard. You also might want to download the latest builds then of whatever apps/dashobards you wish to install so you're completely up to date (might also side step a re-occurance of this issue that way too if one of your copies of an app is corrupt or something)