xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hd Upgrade Wizard Problem  (Read 174 times)

CJLee89

• Archived User
Hd Upgrade Wizard Problem
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »

my cousin and i decided that it will faster if i format by using my PC...can just use xboxhdm??

JonBOY

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2006, 06:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ May 9 2006, 12:35 AM) View Post

2.) put the original in my xbox and lock it
3.) swap w/ upgraded, make sure everything works, then lock it

NO!

you can only swap HDDs around whilst they are unlocked. That is, if after running the wizard on your cousins box, you re-attach your original drive and lock it, your motherboard will locked to that HDD and vice versa. If you then remove the original drive and attach the upgrade drive your motherboard will not be able to access the drive (its locked to the old one).

Step-by-step

1) whichever drive is currently attach to your xbox, boot XOS and confrm that its unlocked. Power off and remove the unlocked drive
2) take both the original and upgrade drive (which by default comes unlocked from from the manufacturer and still should be) to your cousins place (you should just take your whole xbox and make sure everything works before going home...save you another 45 min trip if something went wrong).
3) Power up your cousins xbox into the XOS menu. Go to disc tools and check that his HDD is unlocked, if its locked, unlock it. Power down and remove his HDD.
4) Set your original drive to 'master' and attach it to the END of the IDE cable. Set your upgrade drive to 'slave' and attach to where DVD-ROM should go. Ensure you have power to both the drives (ie use a HDD power supply Y-splitter)
5) Boot XOS and run the upgrade wizard, you don't need to lock any drives at any point.
6) once the upgrade wizard is done, power down your cousins box and remove both the drives. Set your upgrade drive back to 'cable select', and re-install it back in YOUR xbox (not your cousins) as per nornal. Re-attach your DVD-ROM and power on your xbox.

you should be able to boot in the same fashion as per whatever the setup was on your original drive (I think you're running XBMC aren't you). Launch XBMC, go to system info and inspect the partitions and sizes on the upgrade drive. Hopefully everything is as it should be with an additional F drive of about 230 gig (for a 250 gig HDD).

That's it, your done. You don't need to re-lock the drive to run your hacked bios. If you want to check that MS bios is still booting fine on the new setup, boot XOS and lock your HDD then launch the MS bios. But once you've ascertained that it works, reboot into XOS and re-unlock the drive (for precaution sake....if your EEPROM should spontaneously spas out your drive wont be a lost cause).

OK then there's still the matter of restoring your cousins box. Since his HDD jumper was not altered, it should still be set to cable select, so just re-attach his HDD and DVD-ROM and his box is good to go. If he wants to play Xbox live, he'll need to lock his HDD before attempting to boot his MS bios. If he dosn't play xbox live, then he too should leave his HDD unlocked.

Take home message:

NEVER SWAP OUT A HDD FROM AN XBOX IF THE DRIVE IS LOCKED!....THAT GOES FOR ORIGINAL OR UPGRADED DRIVE.

you can certainly remove a locked HDD from an xbox (for example if you needed to access/remove your chip to restore an xobx back to a non-modded state), but it needs to go back into the machine it came out of.

Got it? if not ask away wink.gif

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ May 9 2006, 12:49 AM) View Post

my cousin and i decided that it will faster if i format by using my PC...can just use xboxhdm??

yeah xboxhdm on your PC is another way to go but I've never done this so I cant really help you much there. I guess this would side step any issues XOS has with your HDD. From what I gather, xboxhdm will enable you to create your necessary partitons. i don't know if you can also transfer your C and E drive backups to the newly created partitions whilst the drive is attached to the PC, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to given that the backups are also on your PC (would actually be a very fast way of doing it I guess).

If you cant transfer the backups to these partitions whilst attached to the PC, then obviously you can just do it later by FTP once the drive is back in your xbox and you're booted into XOS.

CJLee89

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »

sorry my step-by-step was vague..i was in a hurry..lol.  so i never take a locked HD out of a system that i dont plan to return immediately..got it!!! i will prolly use xboxhdm since my cousin isnt going to have time for a while. hopefully everything works out ok since it runs in DOS mode. thanks for everything and i will let u know how it goes!!!

CJLee89

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

i got it working with xboxhdm....all the space shows up and works awesome.  btw thanks for all the help!!!!  peace    biggrin.gif

JonBOY

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 01:05:00 AM »

sweet as! good to hear man. I'll keep xboxhdm in mind for any HDD trouble threads I come across in the future.

CJLee89

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »

yep...thanks a lot man!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]