xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xenium Sp Ice On A 1.6b Have I Got All My Facts ?  (Read 45 times)

czakalwe

• Archived User
Xenium Sp Ice On A 1.6b Have I Got All My Facts ?
« on: January 22, 2006, 07:20:00 AM »

After installing a spiderchip on a 1.6b and sweating, swearing and shouting too much it was obvious that i was one of the lucky ones to get mine working and no more messing around inside my Box was needed, Phew!.
Until a friend asked me to mod his. unsure.gif
I saw that spiderchip was replaced by what i hoped was a better product SpiderGX, Ordered it and while waiting noticed some very scary reports about it, such as not liking certain Bios's or Dashboards. With the advice of HackdaBox its going back and i have decided to use the Xenium SP Ice chip, Looks good - simple easy install and not too many bad posts about it. I am posting because I am hoping that the more experienced of you will spot any mistakes i might be about to make and when i'm finished i will let you know if it was easy.
My friends XBox is definately 1.6b
1 fit new new maxtor 160 gb IDE hard drive
2 Insert the SP Ice chip as per the Xodus Tutorial here
http://www.teamxodus...op=getit&lid=64
3 Flash the Evox M8+16 bios 256k using a USB memory drive ( has any one seen a tutorial for this? is it a simple as it sounds?) Flashing the bios on the spiderchip was a nightmare and it had to be hot swapped so i am v. nervous about this bit.
4 Install from CD+RW SlaYer Auto Installer Evox 2.6
Hopefully that will be it.

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »

That's fine although there's two things you might want to worry about...

1) Not sure if you can buy the S.P.ICE anywhere atm as its out of stock everywhere (in waiting for the "24k" edition)

2) Since you have a 1.6b, recovery mode on the ICE wont work (This is used to upgrade the chip's onboard OS) ...not sure if the new 24k will fix this or not, time will tell I suppose.

czakalwe

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »

Thanks appleguru.
Divineo here in the UK are showing it stock so i am gonna cross my fingers.
The reviews i've read all give thumbs up to the ICE OS and once its fitted and working I don't expect my friend will need to upgrade it. However is it worth waiting?

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »

Eh, if you want a xenium and can get the ice, I say go for it, the changes are hardly worth waiting for wink.gif

...Those Divineo stock quotes might be wrong though.. chances are your order will be delayed a bit and you'll end up with a 24k anyways.. heh.. Might want to email them first smile.gif

chronotrigger681

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »

I had a similar experence as you....i got a spider gx installed it on my 1.6 and messed around with it trying to get it to load all the programs finding the right bios and blah blah blah, eventually i sent it back and ordered a spice.But ive been waiting around 2 months and done my research on the spice wile in wait for the gold since its replacing it.If youve been reading up on this chip youll find a decent amount of bugs.But the majority of these are fixed with the new operating system they released here recently wich is the os that comes with the gold but you could just update your spice with it and there prolly wouldnt be much difference.If youve messed with the spider and got it to work YOU WILL NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS CHIP FO SURE!! stupid spider junk
good luck

czakalwe

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 03:41:00 AM »

OK Here's the update on my modding experience.
 Installed the solderless very easily using the plastic template, its legs fit nice and tight, the screw keeps it all to the board well and doesn't feel delicate not like the spider, boot xbox ( all 5 red lights=OK ). fitted the ICE on top and booted up again ( now its 4 red lights, green light on the ICE and green light on the xbox=OK ).put the new HDD (200gb) in and closed up the xbox.
1ST PROBLEM - AND ITS IMPORTANT TO CHECK THIS BEFORE BLAMING A BAD CHIP/ INSTALLATION. Everything boots fine but only a blank screen, this was because i had a HD AV cable and not the original AV cable. I swapped the cables and fixed the problem.
Using the teamexodus tutorials and the very simple ICE OS V2.0 I locked the new HD, flashed with the retail TSOP first then flashed with the EvoX M8_plus16 using the USB connector in a gamepad slot and a USB Data storage, It really is that simple and bypasses the  non readable DVD issues.
2ND PROBLEM - the DVD drive wont read the burned CD-RW with SlaYers Auto Installer V2.6 even though my 1.6b Xbox with the same toshiba samsung drive reads it ok. So i coppied old  ini files usiing flashFXP from my PC to C\ folder and the APPs to F\ folder. So far the box is working fine now but i would really like to upgrade it to the latest EvoX and APPs first. I will try burning to other DVD media and I know this question is probably in the wrong place now but if anyone can point me to a thread or knows if its possible to run SlaYers using the USB that would be perfect.

czakalwe

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »

FIXED**
I tried burning SlaYers onto 3 different brand discs and 1 DVD-R but it couldn't read any of them, i tested them i n another modded 1.6b   ( my own) and no probs so in the end i swapped the DVD drives and now SlaYers is installed and all is working perfect.
Hope this was some help to someone.