xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Media Center Extender  (Read 46 times)

scobey740

• Archived User
Media Center Extender
« on: August 11, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »

************UPDATE*************

After trying out some changes I've found this.

It seems that each time I reboot my Xbox it picks up a new IP address because it is showing a new MAC address.  Just the last pair of HEX digits change.  Yes I've tried entering a static address, that whas my first  configuration.  Before when I had it set to a static IP address and each time I went through the MCX setup and then checked the MCE PC on the Media Center Extender Manager, it also showed a different MAC address for each time I set up the Extender.  I've got the Xodus OS 2.3.0 and I'm booting to XBMC for my dashboard.

DirtyMetis

• Archived User
Media Center Extender
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »

smile.gif

On another note, came across this in one day and thought it might prove handy for ya - supposed to allow you to switch in and out of MCE extender to XBMC with a press of the 'XBOX Live' button on the remote (scroll down to about the 10th post):

http://www.thegreenb...essageID=116454

scobey740

• Archived User
Media Center Extender
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that it is something to do with my Xenium Chip, or something.  I've tried the Xenium OS 1.1, 2.3, 3 different evox bioses, 2 different dashboards, tried static IP addresses, and tried locking the hard drive, and booting to the Retail Kernel.  Still every time I load the MCX software (either from the HDD or the disk) it takes me through setup.

For those of you familiar with Media Center Extenders, you may understand what this is.  When I use the MCX manager on the MCE 2005 PC and select upgrade Extender (just to see which ones are listed) I see this...

(you'll have to type in the address, forsome reason it is being blocked, just take out the spaces)

http://img185.image     shack.us/img185/8982/mediacenterextendermacaddresse.jpg

As you can see it just changes the last 2 digits of the MAC address.  Which confusingly enough isn't the MAC address listed from the Retail Kernel, or from the system information vrom EvoX.

This is driving me NUTS!!!!!

If someone will tell me that it is my mod chip then I will just rip that #*$( out and buy a new one!

acemilo

• Archived User
Media Center Extender
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »

The chip should not affect it, especially if you are booting off the retail kernel.  Try taking the chip ocmpletely off the pins and see if it still does it.  I'd call xbox support and ask them, it has NOTHING to do with the chip and you shouldn't tell them its modded.  As long as you are booting to the tsop, its the same as there not being a chip at all.  You should also check for solder splashes or anything else that may be screwing it up physically.  It COULD also be the router but I doubt it.

Bullwinkle

• Archived User
Media Center Extender
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »

If the mac address keeps changing..then the problem isnt the xenium or the router...the problem is with the eeprom.  Ive seen a few posts similar to this where the mac changes..the people resolved the issue by restoring a backup of the eeprom.  hopefully you have a backup on the Xenium and can restore (or at least have a backup on your hdd in a .bin file.  Either way..i'm pretty sure your problem lies with the eeprom being corrupt.

scobey740

• Archived User
Media Center Extender
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »

*************PROBLEM SOLVED*******************

I received my update disks from MS for Media Center Extender 1.01.  After following the instructions to remove the current connection, reinstallin the Extender software on the MCE PC, and running the disk in my xbox, IT WORKED!!!  I am able to run it from the hard drive as well.

I want to thank everybody that posted comments and suggestions.  And if any of you are attempting something similar and I can help in any way, please let me know.

thebroken

• Archived User
Media Center Extender
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 07:01:00 PM »

blink.gif

ps07606

• Archived User
Media Center Extender
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 02:44:00 AM »

To scobey740:

I am experiencing the same issue that you had experienced.  My MAC address (the last 2 HEX digits) is changing everytime I launch MCX from my XBOX.  

Did you have to restore your EEPROM file?  Or did you request the MCE update CD and followed instructions and all was good?  I am curious in what steps you had to take because I would like to run MCX from the HDD.

I am glad you have it up and running.  I hope to follow, too.