xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When Xbox Is Unpluged For Period Of Time Xenuim  (Read 251 times)

appleguru

• Archived User
When Xbox Is Unpluged For Period Of Time Xenuim
« on: May 11, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »

This has personally *never* happened to me.. A few things though, make sure you have the latest version of XOS installed, and try using instantboot if you're not... A thought though, if you ever press power and then really quickly hit eject or it will likely go into recovery mode.. that *could* be the issue you're seeing, but I honestly don't know as I've never experienced it before.

Rabid1

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »

Out of several hundred installs I have never had this happen to me. I even have a 1.6 and a 1.6b i did solder installs on to try to recreate this problem and have not been able to, but I do know people have been having this problem.

When I do my install I update the chip to 2.3.0 before I do anything. I don't know if you have upgraded the chips to 2.3.0 or not but it might be worth a try. I have not tried leaving the chip at 2.0 but I have a couple extra's maybe I will try this weekend.

shift2255

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »

I think i may be experiencing this problem as well. I believe I read somewhere that it *may* (dont quote me im just a noob) have to do with setting the clock on the ms dash after the console has been unplugged for a period of time. Hmm.....I would like to know if anyone solves this.....

StewPidasso

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »

I've had it happen once on my 1.6 but never on my older boxes...seemed to be something with the clock but the chip took care of it, rebooted itself, & all was good.

DJLink

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »

First to answer questions about some suggestions.

Yes I've got the latest OS version v2.3 on almost all the xenuim modified Xbox’s.  The only ones  without 2.3 are a few that I've either never been in town  to update and/or that also have not had a problem b/c they are rarely unplugged.
Yes I use instaboot on all the xbox's
No I just press the power button unless I want to enter into xenuims OS.  

Any suggestions are welcome.  So thank you for taking a stab at it. But I've  tried almost every thing lodgical solution and I  give very strict instructions about the Xenuims operation  to anyone that  I have provide a mod for.  They are all set to instaboot. No-one has ever changed a setting on the xenium  without calling me first, and I've only had a few people even have the need to change a setting.

Second,

I'm glad I am not totally alone, thank you Chiablo that is scenerio 3 that i talk about and  that really sucks!  

Why this does not happen to most people:

Most people do not have their xenuim modified Xbox’s unplugged for 1-2 days on very frequent bases.  Most people probably leave their Xbox’s at home and plugged in; if that’s the case you will never see this problem.

The main reason this happens so frequently to me and the Xbox’s in my circle are b/c they are unpluggedl all the time.  I've never had one problem with any xenuim modified Xbox’s that are constantly plugged in.  

I travel at least once every two weeks and bring my Xbox for something to do while in hotel rooms on business.  I have 4 personal Xbox’s at my house.  2 are xenuim mods and 1 is an x3 and the other is a tsop.  I started bringing my tsop with me, b/c I'm tired of this problem happening.  I mainly use my x3 for HD upgrades and I like to have the switch on the outside to I don't like to travel with it, but I do leave it unplugged for months sometimes and have never had a problem.

Yes, I pack the Xbox properly and treat it like a baby and so do all my friends and family that travel with theirs.  

If simply leave 4 xenuim Xbox’s unplugged for 1-2 days, I usually have at least one but usually 2 of the 4 Xbox’s have to auto-recover.

I've been a big fan of xeniums ever since they came out; my main home box has xenuim in it.  I even like it more than the x3, which I typically only use as an upgrade Xbox.

Team xodus please help me!

I'm not trying to flame the xenuim, I really like everything about them, the price, the ease of installation and flashing is far superior to any other chip in my opinion.

But this problem is really annoying and  is a big deal if you travel and a really big deal if its not my Xbox that has the problem but a friend or family member that cannot quickly fix it like me and has to ship it me for me to open the thing up when nothing is wrong with the installation, every single box shipped back to me has had the chip with full power, I just had to recover the OS, and 8 times that has required me opening up the Xbox and flipping your recovery switch b/c the chip would not ato-recover.  I have OS 2.3 on a recovery disc and have also tried that on the ones that would not auto-recover before opening them up fliping the switch and it would not work.  After opening them up and fliping the switch, it has recovered everytime from the recovery.bin I have on the e-drive.

The problem has to OS related. That's only logical reason for this..

Rabid1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

My 1.6's are unplugged weeks at a time, and my 1.4 and 1.0 and again this has never happened to me or any of my customers. Someone has suggested going back to 2.2.1, you could give it a try. It is hard to troubleshoot a problem you can't recreate.

DJLink

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 05:03:00 PM »

@Rabid1 I will test going back to os version 2.21, on the xenium boxes I have atm.  I'll post the results in a few days.  I actually have a total of 5 xenuim modified xboxes here right now, 2 are my personal and 3 I just modified for a friends family, so I'll have a  decent size sample to test from.  

TvLover

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »

This condition happens to me on a regular basis. My Xbox is a 1.6 and it sits unpluged for extended periods of time. Most of the time using the eject button makes it work but there has been 2 times that I had to crack the case to get it to post.

I also think that this is an odd thing to happen because the Xenium chip is supposed to override the Xbox bios on bootup. Not using the clock at all.

Just my 2 cents.

turbinesurgeon

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »

Yes this is exactly what has happened to me. I have modded 6 boxes 3 are version 1.0 , 2 are 1.1 and 1 is 1.4.  The 1.4 and 2 of the 1.0 boxes have this same problem.  I do know that a version 1 xbox never had this problem before before I flashed it to 2.3 bios. I havent tried to take it back to the earlier bios to see if the problem continues.  But most of these boxes have had to be cracked open to set the switch to recovery. Im interested to see what you all come up with.

DJLink

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »

Sorry to everyone with the same problem as me that has been watching this thread wating on the results of my tests, I wanted to post the results on Wednesday, but I had to go out of town for a meeting.  So each box was unplugged for almost 1 week.

I downgraded the Xenium OS from 2.3.0 to 2.2.1 on 5 different Xbox's I had at my house last Sunday.  2 are my personal ones and 3 I'm modifying for family/friends

Anyway,

Here are the details of each of the 5 Xbox’s:

Box #1: v1.3 Xbox, original Xenium chip (not ice),  that I bought when they first came out. Pin header install  

Box #2: V1.4 Xbox, Xenium ice solder-less

Box #3: V1.0 Xbox, Xenium ice solder less

Box #4: v1.4 Xbox, Xenium ice solders-less

Box #5: v1.0 Xbox, Original Xenuim, pin header install.

Unfortunately 3 of the 5 Xbox's fraged and required recovering, to be specific box 1,3,4.   sad.gif

Please note****All three recovered very easily using scenario 2 (you have to hold down the eject button until it goes into recovery)  which I mention above.*****

Just in case anyone asks..... All the chips had power and were definitely installed correctly, I watched the LED's etc and you really know the install is proper b/c they recovered just by holding the eject button

The other two Xenuim boxes instabooted  the bios flashed to the  Xenuim  with no problems.

*One other note for Team Xodus if you can replicate this problem is that box 1 and 2 which are my personal Xbox’s,  both have  had OS 2.3.0 installed for a while, the last time they fraged after being unplugged for a few days, the Xenuims  with 2.3.0  recovered using scenario #1(which is the best case for newbs)  that I mention up above,  where it frags on start up but automatically recovers after cycling the Xbox on and off once, without having to hold the eject button.  Scenario 1 does not always happen with 2.3.0. Scenario 2 and 3 has happened as well, but before 2.3.0 I never had scenario 1 happen.  

Also if someone can please explain the quote from TyLover  
I also think that this is an odd thing to happen because the Xenium chip is supposed to override the Xbox bios on bootup. Not using the clock at all.

I really think TyLover makes  a great point.
I would really like to know how the clock has anything to do with the Xenuim not loading the bios and having to frequently  recover after being uplugged.  It does not make any lodgical sense to me.  The two xbox's that did not need to recover,  loaded the bios just fine and did not have the clock set, but they worked anyway, the bios  loaded up UnleashX and UX sets the clock to a default time to aviod problems with game save etc.   If someone can explain the lodgic in the clock being a problem I would really appreciate it!  Thanks in advance to whomever can expain this for me.

Also, thank you all again for your help, suggestions, and sharing your experiences.  Does anybody have any other suggestions?  I would really like to solve this problem and as you can see  I'm more than willing to test any ideas.

DJLink

aliupdx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 12:18:00 AM »

I'm having similar problems on a V1.0 box with Xenium.  I figured out another way to get things working.

I took the Xbox apart, pulled the Xenium out of the solderless adapter and then booted to MSDash fine.  Then I shut it down and re-plugged in the Xenium and turned it back on and everything works.  

I didn't do any OS recovery tricks, so the OS must be fine on the chip.  

Maybe this will help give someone an idea of what's going on?  

I didn't set the clock on the Xbox, just booting to the MSDash seemed sufficient to get everything into a good state for the Xenium chip.  

Maybe someone else can try this trick and verify that it works for more than just me.

ajb

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »

Same problem here with my 1.4 XBOX and Xenium ICE.  It's random, does not happen everytime.

To recover, I always boot with the eject button and wait for the upgrade to HALT since there is not CD or image on the hard drive.  Then I power down and boot normal.

I had this problem with XOS 2.0.1 so I upgraded to 2.3 -> Same problem.  

I have been reading and researching this since I got the chip and can find no explination.  I am told by some it's the clock not being set which causes the XOS to panic.  I don't know that I believe this since it does boot sometimes without the clock being set (in which case I have Avaluanch auto set the clock or I set it myself in the MS dash).

I have my Xenium setup to always boot to the XOS.  I don't use quick boot.

I don't plan to keep my XBOX unplugged for extended periods of time much longer though.  I am waiting for my replacement power cord to arrive.  Once it does I will no longer unplug it every night.  

However I would still really like some answers as to why this happens. I agree with DJLink; how can the clock cause this problem?  If that was the case it would happen every time (not just 2 or 3 times out of 5).

teargas1

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 05:45:00 PM »

Thank you Appleguru for pointing me to this thread.  After 12 installs, I am starting to get the hang of this, heh.  However, the last three installs have had this problem with the chip needing to go to recovery mode.  All of the boxes with the problem are used by people who travel with them and unplug them on a regular basis.  So are 6 of the other nine, though, so there seems to be no consistancy.

Statistics:
-11 of 12 installs currently run O.S. 2.30.  My first install is still using O.S. 2.20 and has never had a problem (Installed Dec 04).

-Of the three that had problems, two were version 1.0, one was version 1.6.

-The 1.6 had chip unplugged while checking solder connections, but did not recover when chip was plugged back in.  XBOX was booted to retail bios between first frag incident and reinstallation of chip.

-If I remember right, 2 of the 3 had reported changing some of the Xenium settings prior to the frag episode.  I did not think to ask the 3rd person.

-All three were install using pinheader method, and all three had the external LED installed.

-All of the 3 that had problems were purchased in the same batch.  Five chips were purchased at the same time.  The other 2 chips are running under the same conditions and work fine.

-Holding the eject button was never tried to get the chips into recovery mode, as I just read about that in this thread today.

Hope this adds some data to the troubleshooting.  My only problem with the unplugged theory, is that the 'BOX I fixed last night was booted to retail after removing the Xenium, then chip was plugged back in and it still fragged.  Also, most of the installs were done on boxes that operate under the same conditions, and only a third have shown this problem.

MonsterTy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »

I may be WAY off on this, but I think I remember reading somewhere that when ( or if) you have left the "recover.bin" on the xbox hard drive and it has been unplugged for a time, that the Xenium searches for that file and goes into recovery mode ( as from earlier suggestion : the battery draining and the clock needing reset ).  This may not be the case with the newer OS's as I haven't installed a Xenium in a while, but I have always removed the "recovery.bin" after upgrading the OS and have yet to have an XBox returned to me for this problem.  Although as many of you have pointed out it is a random issue.  Hope this helps.

Player_X

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 01:45:00 PM »

First off here’s my setup

1.0 Xbox (maybe a MS refurb model)
Xenuim ice chip with os 2.30
Stock HD
Chip installed on 4/27/05

I’m having a similar problem but only when I leave it plugged in. I notice this when I have my Xbox in my bedroom it happens, 75% of the time it will need to recovered, 50% by it self the other 50% by using the eject button.

When it’s in the front room it will work correctly about 95% the other 5% is when I just unplugged it from my bedroom it will need to recover.

The interesting part is that if I leave it the Xbox unplugged it will boot fine every time.

So what’s the only thing different about my front room where it works great and in my bedroom where it work’s like crap you ask. Is the power cored in my bedroom is the one sent to my by MS from the power cord recall. The cord in the front room is a replacement I purchased 3 years ago when the original got lost after a halo event I went to.

I honestly don’t believe the power cored is the problem, and I’m 100% sure the chip is installed correctly.

So I’m left saying wtf is going on here?
Pages: [1] 2