xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xos 2.2.0 Feedback  (Read 105 times)

Gumba

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« on: December 21, 2004, 09:20:00 AM »

smile.gif

1) Skinning
Not my most requested feature, but I'm sure lots of people are happy, and modshops are going to love this smile.gif

When I was playing with it, I noticed that the colour of the text only updated between restarts, not when you selected the skin

I wonder when allofxboxskins.com is going to be hosting XOS skins smile.gif

And remember, the skins go in "E:\XeniumOS\Skins\" not "E:XeniumOSSkins" as was mistakenly put in the PR

2) Save EEPROM to BIN

Yeay smile.gif, the matching feature to Load EEPROM from BIN smile.gif

eeprom contents is saved to e:\eeprom.bin, which makes it crazy simple to copy eeproms to and from xboxes... providing you're using Xeniums

3) Clear Cache Stuffs

Yeay smile.gif))

now we can just say "disk tools -> clear cache stuffs" instead of delete e:\cache with a file manager, etc etc

Does the HD Upgrade Wizard automatically do this?

4) Better BIOS auto-naming

Yeay smile.gif))), i've been requesting this for a while smile.gif

Now the BIOS is named based on the original file name. I would still suggest dropping the final .bin extension from the bios name (if present)

Silentscream__

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »

What would be the advantages to flushing out the caches?
I'm sorry for what may be a stupid question, but I have never done this and wonder if I should.

People seem to have problems with games not running on their nu hdds created using the xenium hd upgrade wizard. Emptying out E:\cache and the xyz drives seems to fix this problem.

As for the update, im still having a few problems with the OS when i have more than 1 controller plugged in. The directional pad doesnt work unless i unplug all of my controllers apart from the one im using and its very annoying to have to do this every time i change something in the menu. The skins are a nice touch though and i hope to see some nice ones on allxboxskins.com.

Gumba

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(orijonl @ Dec 21 2004, 06:33 PM)
huh.gif What would be the advantages to flushing out the caches?

Artifex

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 09:50:00 AM »

4 way-cool features, yay

YAY!!!

1) Skinning
Not my most requested feature, but I'm sure lots of people are happy, and modshops are going to love this

Pretty high up on the list of requests... and something I'd wanted to get in there for a long time anyways.

When I was playing with it, I noticed that the colour of the text only updated between restarts, not when you selected the skin

Yes, I meant to mention that in the post as well, but was too tired and it slipped my mind.

I wonder when allofxboxskins.com is going to be hosting XOS skins

We'll probably contact them once some people make some rad skins *hint hint*.

And remember, the skins go in "E:\XeniumOS\Skins\" not "E:XeniumOSSkins" as was mistakenly put in the PR

Yes, stupid php stripped the backslashes.... grrr.... i hate php.

Fixed now.

2) Save EEPROM to BIN

Yeay , the matching feature to Load EEPROM from BIN

eeprom contents is saved to e:\eeprom.bin, which makes it crazy simple to copy eeproms to and from xboxes... providing you're using Xeniums

Yup.  Only made sense!

3) Clear Cache Stuffs

Yeay ))

now we can just say "disk tools -> clear cache stuffs" instead of delete e:\cache with a file manager, etc etc

Does the HD Upgrade Wizard automatically do this?

No, it was decided to leave it as a seperate step, for mainly philosophical reasons.

Yeay ))), i've been requesting this for a while

Now the BIOS is named based on the original file name. I would still suggest dropping the final .bin extension from the bios name (if present)

Yes, was having a bit of a hard time with the pattern matching involved.... again, was dead tired.  Will probably do that in the next round of changes to it.

Glad you like the new stuff!

--Artifex

-=[GRiM]=-

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 10:49:00 AM »

4 way-cool features, yay smile.gif
WOOHOO!!!

1) Skinning
Not my most requested feature, but I'm sure lots of people are happy, and modshops are going to love this smile.gif
Bah, don't care about this as I only see the screen during maintenance.

2) Save EEPROM to BIN
Yeay smile.gif, the matching feature to Load EEPROM from BIN smile.gif
Don't know why that wasn't in the first release? good for developers and back ups!

3) Clear Cache Stuffs
AAAAHHHH!!! NICE!!! Like this one...

This is okay. I don't generally update the BIOS unless they fix something I need fixed.

Can't wait till they are done the 12 days of xmas! Then and only then will I update my XOS.

mrjkwik

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 11:56:00 AM »

so that explains it.  smile.gif

so basically if i want to load a new eeprom for those wonderful xbox live catastrophes, i no longer need to use config magic?  i can put on the hd and recover eeprom from there using xenium?

Clear Cache Stuffs

very convenient when working on map modding also

Ok, my first post under the new x-s forums look..... which, btw, I'm not too keen on.

i agree.  very modern and cool looking, but doesnt "pop" and isnt great on the eyes either.

EDIT: all this and to think, 8 more "days" to go.

-=[GRiM]=-

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 12:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(FireSokar @ Dec 21 2004, 09:12 PM)
www.firemods.com has af ew skins

appleguru

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »

aqmlswnk

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 03:47:00 PM »

Nice features

mrjkwik

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 07:31:00 PM »

wink.gif .  i'd much rather see these kind of updates.  and look forward to more.

anyway, just got home from workin.  time to play with a few skins then move onto a couple other differnet projects.

Gumba

• Archived User
Xos 2.2.0 Feedback
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 08:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(mrjkwik @ Dec 22 2004, 04:34 AM)
for some reason, i dont think that xenium users wanted switches to begin with.  and lights, well, someone else can focus on that wink.gif .

Hah, you said it smile.gif

Also, I don't quite like the new look either, my least favourite thing is the green-grey and grey-green gradients in the background of actual messages, aside from just the general difficulty in reading anything.

Squeaky wheel gets the greesin' and all that, http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=326374 (post your forum upgrade complaints/praises in that link)

edit: aaaaah, you can select a v2-like skin now, and it just forces a sigh of relief smile.gif