xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Act --> Anti Clone Technology For Xenium  (Read 705 times)

Headly

• Archived User
Act --> Anti Clone Technology For Xenium
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2004, 05:40:00 PM »

To Whiskey~Flame

ACT would not necessarily fry your chip rendering it unusable.  Fried chips are more often due to bad hardware design or poor installation.  It could be configured to display a certain screen or color code from the lcd if installed on a clone.  Since your destributor sold you a clone whithout telling you they legally have to give you a real xenium or refund right?  I understand this could be a pain but it is for their protection and ours.

ColSandoz

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »

shmokes, dont think that everyone who is a modder is a pirate, just take one look at my games Collection database

it includes 34 xbox games (plus games for many other systems)... total estimated value is near $3000... I use my modded xbox for the extra features, quick loading, and not having to put in disks every time I want to switch games...

just because you are a theif does not make everyone here a theif.

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2004, 06:36:00 PM »

Enough with the pirate kiddie crap

Enough with the "real reasons" people buy chips.

OzXodus added features to their OS that screws overs the clones. That is the issue. Stop the rest of this bickering non-sense.

OzXodus OS is for Authentic OzXodus Chips. God help anyone not using an authentic chip.

Should they have done this.. hard to say.  Clearly people are maliciously attacking OzXodus and their chip / biz model.  

What's done is done. People who bought a clone and did not know it when they bought it.. should still try to get a refund from their supplier.. and if that fails.. contact the authorities where possible. Contact Visa as well if it was used.

OzXodus with this OS features can't stop cloners.. but you the consumers.. can!

Soup

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2004, 07:56:00 PM »

Great post oz_paulb.

It's a bit ironic that this may lead to two layers of hacked BIOSes (hacked XOS + hacked MS)...

stealth

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »

The biggest problem with any 'self destruct' mechanism is, obviously, what if it happens on a 'real' device?  You can be the best coder in the world, and still have a bug in your 'is it really my product' detect code.

Almost any software systems can have accidental problems that ruin a product.  Your example is akin to a bug/crash in a game accidentally wiping out the root dir entry of the xbox system partition.  Sure it can happen, but the odds are incredibly slim.  Also, if the killed chip is a legit one, I would imagine the official retailers will provide a replacement.

Also, as others have pointed out, it'll be simple for any reasonably skilled hacker to reverse-engineer any OS release and remove any self-destruct code.  So, a serious 'clone' company can continue to get the new OS features.

This becomes a rather annoying and difficult customer support issue for the cloners, if they have to crack every new version, and prevent naive users from downloading the authentic update, which they are more likely to hear about from reputable news sites such as this.  If OzXodus decides to start releasing new features on a regular basis, and changes the protections every time, it sure seems like that would be a headache for the cloners.

sega27

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »

If you bought a clone and didnt know at the time... you can still buy the real thing. If you choose not to, then team OzXodus gets no money from you, and they dont give a shizznit about you.

As far as potential customers for Xenium 2... they are never going to make a Xenium 2 if 1/2 of their customers buy Xenium clones.

tiger

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »

I believe the team has every right to protect there work.

Desides correct me if I am wrong but did the team not repeatedly worn the public not to buy clones?

who in this world gives things away for free?

ColSandoz

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2004, 12:05:00 AM »

who in this world gives things away for free?

just look at your xbox harddrive... 99% open-source  tongue.gif

abhorrent

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2004, 04:50:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

marksu

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2004, 05:09:00 AM »

hippo rules are rules, and have nothing to do with free speech. That thread was even dublicated and there is a rule that no clone talk here. And it was more like clone promotion.

This thread has been allowed propably cause it is directed to the ACT feature and not genereal clone discussion crap. All respect to the admins for that!

This theread is only ment for ACT discussion nothing else.

If general clone crap discussion on this thread continues even this thread is getting closed. THAT IS THE FACT.

There fore keep discussion directed on "ACT" ONLY.
EDIT: If not then I see that the thread has allready served its purpose and can be closed.

thecheekymonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2004, 06:18:00 AM »

mad.gif  mad.gif ), so no live support, basically make it act just like a 3rd gen chip, allow it to boot backups only, and no other features

if you release this update, your more foolish than i thought, and obviously havent thought this through enough!

just my 2 pennoth!

feel free to flame kiddies!  wink.gif

Sacrilego

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2004, 06:27:00 AM »

heh, I think only booting the original bios would be a better punishment , you'll lose a lot more features with that alone.

marksu

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2004, 06:28:00 AM »

heh, I think only booting the original bios would be a better punishment , you'll lose a lot more features with that alone.

Not a bad idea. Still it would need to be bulet proof that it cant be cracked.
Disabling the mode totally would be bullet proof, sure is a bit ruff action but bullet proof.

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2004, 07:09:00 AM »

You know I sit here and read this whole thread, and it got me to thinking.  This sort of tactic is very underhanded.  There are many mod chip users who didnt install their chip in their XBox and they dont want to open it again, for various reasons.  Those people may have told the person that installed the chip, I want an Orignal Xenium, and instead were given a clone.  Now if/when this ACT kicks in, what will happen to them?  Are they not as innocent, if not more so, than OzXodus in this?  What is OzXodus's view on what should be done in those situations, sorry kid your out of luck, shouldnt have bought a clone?  But then, they reply, sir I wanted an OEN chip, asked for it, payed the outrageous price you asked for it, and altho Im the one thats been dicked over by a 3rd party, you now want to dick me over again?  Two wrongs are making a right now?

This also reminds me of DRM.  I havent installed this on my WinXP machine, as Im not sure about it yet.  What if MS had made it a hidden update, and it also destroyed my mobo because I had some music on my computer that wasnt registered to work with DRM, so MS decided to take care of it.  There would be outcry from the farthest land, no MS, youve done wrong, infringed on my benefits as a consumer.  I bought this computer, and should be the one who chooses how it should be used.  Isnt this the same argument we has modchip users use against MS when it comes to the XBox? EULA be damned, we dont rent, or partially own our XBoxes, and we want to decide how we use it, as a Linux computer, as a OEM Xbox, or as a modded one.  I think the actions of OX introducing this malware (thats what it is, its malicious in intent and actions) into thier OS.  Its setting a DANGEROUS standard.  Whats to say they dont introduce another hidden piece od software in the next updates that will only allow you to use your Xbox when your using a certain size HDD for example, or anythig else in that vein.  Sure I want to be able to  modify my BIOS, change the name etc, but once again, I should be able to choose how that software is used on my hardware.  yes, they should get paid for thier hardwork, but I should also have the last say on what happens to hardware that I bought, clones or no.  Is there any sort of EULA from OX?  Have they made their consumers aware, thru normal channels, not teh website or x-s.com, that such a piece of software is on thier chip? When you OEM Xenium owners received your chips, was there any sort of paper explaining what your rights as a owner are?  Did they make you aware at the time of purchase about the malware on yoru chip?  This is a MAJOR factor in the decision process.  You say its a one in a million chance that this ACT would fuck up and erase an OEM chip?  Well, what if it does happen to that millionth customer, is OX going to make amends and work with that customer?  Have they provided any out if it does happen?  Apparently, no they havent, as there is no info about it.  

I can honestly say, I will never buy another one of OX chips for any customer of mine, and if anyone I know wants to buy one, I will make sure they dont, as they the consumer do not have the last say about what happens to that hardware.  Why would you want a chip, clone or OEM, that has the possibility of being erased, rendering it useless.  If you wated to secure your chips OX, there are alot of other ways.  Hell, why dont you guys become the ONLY reseller, that way the ONLY place someone can buy YOUR chip is FROM you.  If its bought ANYWHERE else, it has to be a clone.  Your safe, your HW is safe, and you dont have to worry about this shit.  Make it known to the novice and experienced buyer that the only option they have to buy an OEM chip is to contact OX and get it from them.  Once thats known, no more of the 'I didnt know it was a clone' or the cloners taking respectful buyers for a ride.  

Remember a few months back when MS updated everyone to Live 2.0 and the fonts exploit was removed?  Remember the OUTRAGE that someone outside of the owner made the decision to interfere with the hardware?  What is the difference here?  None.

phunzoid

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2004, 07:20:00 AM »

tongue.gif

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9