xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question About Soldering  (Read 42 times)

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
Question About Soldering
« on: March 17, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

Underside???? you mean the alternate D0 point right?

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
Question About Soldering
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »

ph34r.gif

do you have previous experience soldering electronics?

i installed my xenium with NO prior knowledge of soldering... i know... i'm scared too  laugh.gif

sam1148

• Archived User
Question About Soldering
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (MagusIII @ Mar 17 2004, 07:52 PM)
I've just opened my Xbox to install a Xenium and I've come to the point where I'm supposed to solder the pin-header to the underside of the motherboard. My question is: How accurate do you have to be when you're soldering? I mean, the soldering points are so friggin' small that it's impossible not to cross more than one of those electronic patterns when you solder. Does it matter if the soldering iron floats out a little, or do you have to be a soldering god to make it?

How accurate do you have to be when you're soldering? I mean, the soldering points are so friggin' small that it's impossible not to cross more than one of those electronic patterns when you solder.

I'm no expert, so if this advice is off base let me know. Someone suggested using the sticky header of a 'sticky note'. Punch/cut  a hole in it and mask the board. Seems reasonable to me if someone is worried about splashed solder.  Sticky notes aren't *that* sticky and should mask off the board to give ya some safety room.

Edit: Just thinking that idea through. Maybe if you cut off bits of stickynote headers and placed them around the target D0 point instead of cutting a hole in the sticky.

MagusIII

• Archived User
Question About Soldering
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »

smile.gif

Orgasmic Chilli

• Archived User
Question About Soldering
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 11:49:00 PM »

I used a solder iron instead of a solder pencil (didn't the all the tuturials accurately). I managed but now my xenium doesn't not boot up at all any more not even the LED

MagusIII

• Archived User
Question About Soldering
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 05:55:00 AM »

Is there any other wire than Kynar I can use? Can I use another single strand wire? Can I use whatever kind of wire?

Flagg3

• Archived User
Question About Soldering
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 03:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (MagusIII @ Mar 19 2004, 10:55 AM)
Is there any other wire than Kynar I can use? Can I use another single strand wire? Can I use whatever kind of wire?

You can use any wire, but the smaller the better.  If you use a larger gauge wire and have trouble soldering d0, go with the alternate point on the bottom of the board.

Flagg

erexx

• Archived User
Question About Soldering
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »

I use old 40 wire conductor IDE cable for wire.
Strip each wire off as you need it. No mess.
Very flexible and easy to work with.

Good for low voltage signal wire.
40-conductor IDE cable is 28 AWG, stranded core.