xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xenium - Ugly Mod.  (Read 101 times)

geniusalz

• Archived User
Xenium - Ugly Mod.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2004, 12:37:00 AM »

smile.gif

dzv

• Archived User
Xenium - Ugly Mod.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2004, 05:40:00 AM »

QUOTE (HSDEMONZ @ Feb 16 2004, 02:18 AM)
My understadning of the MODCHIP/BIOS situation.. is that after boot.. it's not accessed again.  This seems at least partially true.. cause I can safely remove x2 chips and hotswap and flash.  I've also removed the chips while powered. navigated evox.. launch plenty of tools without an issue.

I imagine that is the chip was constantly accessed.. if there were cross-talk issues.. then might arise then.

Do you have any details on what a modchip does after it has booted it's bios? any further communication?

I don't have a detailed understanding of what communications occur to/from/through the LPC bus after bootup, but I basically believed the same as you: that once the BIOS is loaded into memory, the chip is no longer accessed.  However, in some past experimenting, I had some results which led me to believe otherwise.  I remeber many months ago I tried booting an Xbox (into EvoX) with a chip plugged in, then removing the chip and attempting to run a game or app.  I found that on most occasions, the Xbox would hang while trying to load the game or app.  This led me to believe that it must be trying to access the chip, for one reason or another.

I never actually spent too much more time with those experiments, and I don't really remember all the details.  But I remember that I came to the conclusion that the Xbox was trying to access the chip when launching a game/app.
Pages: 1 [2]