xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xenium Os Update?  (Read 173 times)

oblox

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« on: February 13, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

It's looking like the SmartXX will be here before the OS upgrade is that will cost them a lot of sales!

lookformeb

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

Most of the "bugs" I've experienced with the few installs I've dont ahve been very minor.  Mostly simply relating to having amemory card or xblive adapter plugged in.  Most seemed to be very minor, but yes, a pain.

ColSandoz

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 03:19:00 AM »

besides the memcard/3rd party controller/communicator problems, what other bugs are in the OS... I have noticed nothing...

lookformeb

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 10:52:00 AM »

All I've noticed were some minor menu display issues... some menus faded into each other, etc.  Other than that, I'm not sure.  I've only worked with a few.

BuffaloTrace

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »

Don't get me wrong....I love the chip. However the controller flaws are quite annoying and I have also notice it doesn't like booting with a disk in the drive.

HeeD

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

What is the XeniumOS made from anyways? I keep hearing it is a modified Cromwell.

Xeero

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (HeeD @ Feb 16 2004, 06:48 PM)
What is the XeniumOS made from anyways? I keep hearing it is a modified Cromwell.

That's what I had assumed, but according to OzXodus it was coded from scratch.

oblox

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »

According to SmartXX it was taken from them

Hey look you can already download the smartXX OS...

http://www.smartxx.com/download_1.php

HeeD

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 09:34:00 PM »

Isn't cromwell licensed under the GPL?

Anyways why doesn't SmartXX just take legal action against Xenium then if it was stolen?  biggrin.gif

Xbox-Gear

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 03:45:00 AM »

Come on guys be patient! I'm sure an OS update will come soon. " XOS update coming soon!  Please be patient! " << #OzXodus Efnet.

As the saying goes good things come to those who wait  wink.gif

I for one prefer to see OzXodus take their time and release a quality update FREE of bugs and with new features , rather then a long strong of short buggy updates fixing one or two things!

Just hold on and let patience prevail biggrin.gif

evoxreloaded

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »

does anyone have an xbox 1.3 and still have problems with the xenium?? Ive had none with mine controller mem card nor communicator....

and what was modified in the cromwell bios they are using?? from my point of view all they did was steal the code and add some new names for themselves...

Morglum

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 09:26:00 AM »

rolleyes.gif  Of OzXodus stole from SmartXX, then SmartXX also stole from OzXodus.

Nothing was stolen  iamwithstupid.gif

Xeero

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 09:27:00 AM »

I'm in no position to say definitively one way or another whether XeniumOS is based on Cromwell or not - I'm just going off of what I was told by a rep from Team OzXodus.

I was also told that the guys at OzXchip were working on OzXchip II.  For whatever reason they went their separate ways.  Part of the team joined up with Xodus, formed OzXodus, and released the Xenium, which uses a codebase originally written by those team members but finished and improved upon by OzXodus at a whole.  The other OzXchip team members went and joined the PCBioXX/NitroXX team and released the SmartXX, which uses the same codebase taken to OzXodus, but of course this codebase was finished and improved upon in a separate manner by Team SmartXX.

So, in short, my understanding is that they both originate from the same codebase, but the XeniumOS and SmartXX OS diverged when they were brought to two separate teams.  As far as the mud-slinging, accusations of "stealing" and such go...I would take that with as much gravity as I would a divorced couple arguing over custody of their children.

heinrich

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 09:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Feb 16 2004, 06:49 PM)
QUOTE (HeeD @ Feb 16 2004, 06:48 PM)

That's what I had assumed, but according to OzXodus it was coded from scratch.

I was told that it was based on cromwell, and that the source to the XOS will be released with the next update.

Which means, people will definelty muck with it, even if only to change the graphics.  This chip is great in that even if you have a bad bios flash, you can recover with the XOS, but what happens when the XOS is screwed up?  Any way to recover?

oblox

• Archived User
Xenium Os Update?
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 10:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (Morglum @ Feb 17 2004, 07:26 PM)
How the hell can you steal what is already yours? My god some of you people are thick as pig shit!

It was already their own code and data. Some of you really need to go and get a clue  rolleyes.gif  Of OzXodus stole from SmartXX, then SmartXX also stole from OzXodus.

Nothing was stolen  iamwithstupid.gif

Not wanting to start a flamewar or anything...
Does the honourable idiot at the back understand the meaning of contract???
And how these can pertain to interlectual rights

Doesn't matter you'll never understand it lol
Xeero's answer sounds like the most logical reasoning as to why there hasn't been any disputes between SmartXX and OzXodus. Looks like we're just seeing the orignal code the guys at OzXchip wrote in the OS of the Xenium that's all (maybe there just taking a little bit longer to catch up with the smartXX group).
Pages: [1] 2