xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Data Suddenly Gone?  (Read 133 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
Data Suddenly Gone?
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:09:00 AM »

It sounds as though the partition is larger than 256GB, and you didn't format it with XBPartitioner 1.1, so you now have data corruption. You need to check the cluster size, and if the partition is > 256GB and the cluster size is only 16kB then you need to reformat the F partition (you will lose all of your data, so try to back up what you can before you start) then check the cluster size again to make sure that it is now 32kB. See the link in my signature - Format hard drive / check cluster size.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Data Suddenly Gone?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »

You don't need to boot Evox, you put a clean copy in E:\Apps\Evox\ and run it as an application from the XBMC file manager.

If you had it chipped recently (in the last two years) and the modder fitted the large hard drive for you, you might want to ask him/her how they formatted the drive, and if they checked the cluster size.

The data may not all be gone forever, but you would have to recover the files manually using Photorec, and work out which files were corrupt and which could be kept. It's easier to restore them from your backup.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Data Suddenly Gone?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »

If the Xbox was modded 5 years ago then the modder should have split the disk between F and G partitions, so that both were below the magic 256GB limit.

If you want to use Photorec you use X3 config live (press the white button while booting) to unlock the disk before connecting it to your computer.

If you haven't done so recently you might want to think about updating XBMC to the latest version - just Google xbmc4xbox.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Data Suddenly Gone?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »

Almost.

You missed out the bit where you have to check the retrieved files to see what they are, to rename them accordingly, and to see which ones are corrupt. For videos, that probably means watching them all the way through.... smile.gif

(Just so you don't get your hopes up, you should expect a reasonable amount of corruption, and you're unlikely to recover all of the files.)

You also missed out the bit where you create a backup of the files you transfer to the rebuilt Xbox, so that if the drive fails at sometime in the future you can build a new one...... wink.gif

Tazzie76

• Archived User
Data Suddenly Gone?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »

Guess I will be watching some movies the next couple of days ;-)

As to the backup and the amount of files I could retrieve, I have already started newsleecher to regain at least the most important videos. Anything that I can save would be a plus. (especially some really old discs like Tik Tak for the young ones).

I will make sure to have a second drive of 300 GB for the backup, in case something gets messed up again.

Thanks for the answers. I need to get to work ;-)