xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Attempt To Repair Error 16 Box  (Read 109 times)

brad1150

• Archived User
Attempt To Repair Error 16 Box
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »

My friend gave me this xbox that he managed to format the C:/ partition on, and now boots with error 16. I installed an Xecuter 2.6CE using my cheap method of a wire install. I've had this chip without using it for years, so I lost the original pin header, wire harness, and LPC rebuild board. So I pulled off the header on the 2.6CE and directly soldered wires to their appropriate point on the lpc. i've checked all my connections, and everything looks fine. But when I turn the box on, bank 1, flash unprotected, chip enabled, the blue light on the 2.6CE lights up, as well as a green light under the chip enabled, but the xbox boots with error 16. I'm including pictures of my solder job, in case I've missed something. Keep in mind that this is not my first rodeo, and the wires are not specifically color coded.

If the pictures don't help, let me know and I'll try to take a better pic. My Droid didn't want to take any clear pics, and I'm doing the best I can with an iPhone.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Joes2Silly

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »

I'm not quite sure what you we're trying to do, but it sounds like the modchip is working so that's a good start. If you formatted the C:/ partition, you should download Slayers or AID and reinstall the dashboard and softmod (if that's what he was using before). From there you can probably remove the modchip too..

brad1150

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »

So the AID disc will work, even thought there's no dash? I tried putting my AID disc in before I resorted to chipping it, but it kept showing error 16. I also wanted to go ahead and chip it, since I havn't done a hardmod in years and I had this 2.6CElaying around, gradually losing parts.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »

Sounds to me like you need to update the bios on your modchip (if it is indeed booting from the chip) to a bios that will ignore an error 16 state. From there you can boot Slayers/AID and repair.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »

AID won't work before chipping on an Error 16 Xbox (even if it is softmodded), but should work quite happily after chipping. If not (and assuming it's an AID disc that you know works, and you've tried a different DVD drive from another Xbox), then as xboxmods2977 says you'll need to put a newer BIOS on the chip.

brad1150

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »

So will the FlashBIOS on the chip not load if the box has error 16?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »

Flashbios should work. Are you suggesting that it isn't working?

brad1150

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »

I guess I need to clarify. I got the chip installed, obviously. When I turn the box on with Bank 1, Flash protect Off, and Chip ON, it starts up as there's no chip at all (E16 error screen), even though all the appropriate switch lights are on and the blue light on the chip is on. Any other combination of switch results in turning on/off 3x then fragging with no video.

brad1150

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

Its a v1.6a. I said the light combo. Not sure what you mean though. The eject light frags with error 16 when the chip is on with bank 1 and flash unprotected, any other combo (bank 2, flash protected, turns on and off 3x then fraags with no video. Frags with error 16 when the chip is off.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(brad1150 @ Dec 23 2010, 10:48 PM) View Post

Its a v1.6a.

I got that from your pictures.

Check all of your modchip connections with a multimeter/continuity checker to make 100% sure they are all good. If they are, see my above post.

Further reading (spoon feeding): I did some RESEARCH, to refresh my memory, and found that there was/is only one xbox bios (excluding cromwell), that is both 1.6 compatible, AND has the error 16 fix. It is the X2 5035 bios. Go get it and flash it to your chip. It will allow you to boot past the error 16 (A.K.A. clock check) and fix your xbox.

regards

brad1150

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »

Well, I'm unable to get a programmer for it, so i will just have to wait until I get my other box back.