xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Newbie: Do I Just Need A New X3?  (Read 50 times)

XmodsUK

• Archived User
Newbie: Do I Just Need A New X3?
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »

Sounds like a cold solder joint. Get the pin-header resoldered, and all should be fine.

replayed

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(replayed @ Jan 24 2008, 03:09 PM) View Post

Is the soldered area on the downward facing side of the motherboard (from where a couple of wires seem to be coming)?

Okay, after RTFMing, I understand what was done to get the pin-header soldered on.

I'm apprehensive (and currently not equipped) to redo the soldering myself.

I'd still be curious to know if I could do the softmod and be able to retain the current contents of the hard drive.

replayed

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(XmodsUK @ Jan 24 2008, 02:59 PM) View Post

Sounds like a cold solder joint. Get the pin-header resoldered, and all should be fine.

I didn't do a complete unsolder and resolder. I just resoldered a couple of the pins that looked under-soldered.

Now, when I do a quick power-on, I only a see a brief attempt at a reboot (a single green ring), and then nothing. No multiple reboots, no FRAG. The full 1-second power-on still boots me into the standard Xbox dashboard. If I press the power-on and eject button at the same time, I usually (but not always) boot into what I'm guessing is the backup BIOS (although the panel LED is blue, not purple). This BIOS shows the following on a blue screen (and I don't know if the backup BIOS was ever flashed; this is my first time booting into it):

FLASHBIOS 3.0.1
For help visit Team Xecuter (http://teamxecuter.com/flashbios/)

(HDD and DVD drive info)

Enable Network Flashing
Load BIOS from HDD (C:\Bios)
Load BIOS from Disc
Unlock HDD
Lock HDD

So I'm wondering: Did I make things worse? Do I need to do a complete resolder of every pin? Or is the problem something other than a bad solder joint?

Thanks again for any advice.

XmodsUK

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 05:18:00 AM »

I'd still guess that it's the soldering.

What are your switches set to?

If it's booting to back-up (FlashBios 3.01) but not the main bios, it would suggest that pins 13 and or 14 maybe at fault.

Can you get a photo of the soldering for us to look at?

If you aren't happy soldering, then find someone who is and ask them to look at the pinheader install for you.

XmodsUK

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »

Glad you got it sorted.

Enjoy.