xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 5035 / 2.6ce / 1.5 Box / Samsung = Won't Read Dvd  (Read 60 times)

boob1966

• Archived User
5035 / 2.6ce / 1.5 Box / Samsung = Won't Read Dvd
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

are you backing up game to pc
then changing it to a iso file using something like c-xboxtool
then burning it to dvd-r at a slow speed 2x max

some xbox dvd drive are picky when it comes to dvd-r dvd=r cd-rw you will have to find one the your xbox likes

1superflytnt

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(boob1966 @ Dec 8 2006, 03:39 PM) View Post

are you backing up game to pc
then changing it to a iso file using something like c-xboxtool
then burning it to dvd-r at a slow speed 2x max

some xbox dvd drive are picky when it comes to dvd-r dvd=r cd-rw you will have to find one the your xbox likes

These are games I'd previousl backed up and work fine on a lot of other XBOXes.  I just gave my last one to my cousin for Christmas, so I bought a new one and a new chip, and this is the only one I've had problems with.  The DVD drive (Samsung) I swapped to another modded box and it plays the discs.  On this XBOX it just won't read backups on any of the media.  This is the fifth box I've modded, but this one is giving me fits!  I've never had this problem before...all my other backups play fine, and I've got fifty of them or so I'd burned off my originals...I have a 5 year old that 'coasterizes' every CD or DVD on earth, that's why I started looking into ways to protecting my investment.

1superflytnt

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »

Sorry for the double post - more info:

This is getting uglier by the moment...I've electrically tested all of the solder points and they are all connected (I solder for a living, so there wasn't much hope there...), and I used a spare xbox Philips DVD drive today and my other HDD, swapped them, and the new XBOX still won't read backups at all.  I took the new chip off and put it in the old xbox, and the old one works fine with the new chip.  

So, the chip is fine, the flash is fine, and xbox boots to the "XECUTER ROX MY BOX" and goes straight to the Evo-X dash, but the drive WILL NOT read any backups on any media, DVDROM/+R/-R/+RW/-RW or CDs of any kind. It still plays originals, but the one I want to play is all ate up, so I'm still hosed.

The only thing I did notice was that the usual supercap (backup battery) burnt up, so the darned thing has to be replaced. And the clock doesn't save the date.  Luckily I know a guy at Newark Electronics and can get one for free.

Any idea why this new box will not read the backups?  I'd really love to play Ghost Recon 2 but the kid damaged the original it and it locks up mid-mission pretty much every time...??

Help!

swishaha

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »

yea i have had all the diff drives and the samsung seems to be the best.  but few months back i recieved a brand new sansung dvd drive.  i swear this thing wouldnt read anything either.  ofcourse no cdr's and didnt like dvd-r much either.  i swapped the drive out to someone else as soon as i could connsidering most people dont play backups.

but did play my dvd-r movies just fine.  and as far as media goes i have had sucess with only SONY 650MB CD-RW only!  and toyo yuden dvd-r media.  they run about .22-.30 per dvd, per 100 pak and are top notch.

and i assume you made your backups as xiso's.  or even the new nero 7 (and maybe nero6) has an option for burning xbox games.  nifty, ha.  all this is illegal, but glad software we buy supports us backing up our xbox games!

hope that might help, last resort find a friend and ask em to swap your dvd drive for theres as long as their xbox isnt modded.  especially if its a new drive, most people will jump on the offer as long as it works.

1superflytnt

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(swishaha @ Dec 12 2006, 04:35 PM) View Post

yea i have had all the diff drives and the samsung seems to be the best.  but few months back i recieved a brand new sansung dvd drive.  i swear this thing wouldnt read anything either.  ofcourse no cdr's and didnt like dvd-r much either.  i swapped the drive out to someone else as soon as i could connsidering most people dont play backups.

but did play my dvd-r movies just fine.  and as far as media goes i have had sucess with only SONY 650MB CD-RW only!  and toyo yuden dvd-r media.  they run about .22-.30 per dvd, per 100 pak and are top notch.

and i assume you made your backups as xiso's.  or even the new nero 7 (and maybe nero6) has an option for burning xbox games.  nifty, ha.  all this is illegal, but glad software we buy supports us backing up our xbox games!

hope that might help, last resort find a friend and ask em to swap your dvd drive for theres as long as their xbox isnt modded.  especially if its a new drive, most people will jump on the offer as long as it works.

I appreciate the advice, and thanks for the reply.  I did use my other 1.0 Xbox's Philips DVD(which I previously purchased and installed to rid myself of the dreaded Thompson), X2.6CE chip, and HDD, all which function flawlessly with my backup disks on the 1.0 box.  When I put them in this new 1.5 box, they worked fine, came up with "Rox my Box",  booted to the alternate Dash (that is on the 1.0's HDD), but STILL wouldn't read backups.  To test the drive, I softmodded it using the Splinter Cell exploit and loaded dvd2xbox.  Surprisingly, it would read the data off of the DVD and I could transfer the files to the HDD.  It simply will not play backups.   The biggest problem of it all is that my kids' games don't play - the whole reason I got into this scene was due to the disks she's made into coasters; I was sick of having to buy the same game more than once.  

So, as of tonight, I still have the latest x2 bios loaded, which appears to work except I can't read DVDs other than original xbox media.  uhh.gif

1superflytnt

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »

New info: Went out and got DVD-R drive and some media.  Still no dice, but they do load faster on my other box!

Still screwed....

boob1966

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 06:39:00 PM »

whats your jumper setting on harddrive

1superflytnt

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(boob1966 @ Dec 14 2006, 08:46 PM) View Post

whats your jumper setting on harddrive

HDD = Master W/ Slave Present

DVD = N/A (Slave)

The problem is not that it won't read any discs, it WILL play xbox retail games, but not DVDs and not backups.  After all this hassle I softmodded it and used the dvd2xbox software to verify that it would read my media, and it read my media just fine.  It simply will not load unsigned code off DVD.

Thanks!

boob1966

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »

were did you get bios (xbins)

1superflytnt

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 12:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(boob1966 @ Dec 15 2006, 05:12 PM) View Post

were did you get bios (xbins)

I got the bios from the usual trusted source.  I've got all of them archived as well and I've tested them on other boxes before with the same model of chip.  Just to be sure, I then uploaded the bios from my known good 1.0 box (with the same chip) and tested it on the new one.  "Rox my Box" and everything.  DVD drive doesn't appear to be the problem, as my Thompson will not read media other than the original retail xbox discs in that xbox either.  The samsung, conversely, will read and play backups on my other box.  

Very strange, no?  And to top it all off, this is a Christmas present...

QUOTE(1superflytnt @ Dec 16 2006, 02:20 AM) View Post

I got the bios from the usual trusted source.  I've got all of them archived as well and I've tested them on other boxes before with the same model of chip.  Just to be sure, I then uploaded the bios from my known good 1.0 box (with the same chip) and tested it on the new one.  "Rox my Box" and everything.  DVD drive doesn't appear to be the problem, as my Thompson will not read media other than the original retail xbox discs in that xbox either.  The samsung, conversely, will read and play backups on my other box.  

Very strange, no?  And to top it all off, this is a Christmas present to myself to replace the one I just gave to my cousin...now I can only play originals, and most of mine look like coasters.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »

X2.6 basics. . . FLASH 5035 TO BANK 2 ONLY
If you're using 5035 on Bank 1, you'll eventually run into problems (like you're having).
Keep FlashBIOS on bank 1 and 5035 on bank 2.

Second, you don't have a 1.5 xbox. They don't exist.

3rd, did you bother to clear your cache?
E:\CACHE
X:\
Y:\
Z:\

Delete the contents in all those places and reboot your xbox.

Quote from the Pinned topic in this forum (by ubernewb):
While Flashbios can be used from either bank, the hacked bios MUST BE PLACED ON BANK 2 TO WORK. Sorry for yelling, but this can not be stressed enough. If you flash your hacked bios to bank 1 you will have problems.. i can almost guarentee it.

1superflytnt

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Dec 16 2006, 02:47 AM) View Post

X2.6 basics. . . FLASH 5035 TO BANK 2 ONLY
If you're using 5035 on Bank 1, you'll eventually run into problems (like you're having).
Keep FlashBIOS on bank 1 and 5035 on bank 2.

Second, you don't have a 1.5 xbox. They don't exist.

3rd, did you bother to clear your cache?
E:\CACHE
X:\
Y:\
Z:\

Delete the contents in all those places and reboot your xbox.

Quote from the Pinned topic in this forum (by ubernewb):

Well, let's start over.  I do have a 1.5 box, assuming that the ground voltage is as listed on about 1000 tutorials that everyone seems to have on identifying the box.  Unfortunately, xylene took the serial number from me, so I had to visually determine type, and with the Focus graphics encoder and the samsung memory, AND the voltage test it appears for all intents and purposes that it is indeed a 1.5.  Either way, it doesn't matter.  Second, I did clear my cache and did put this bios (and every other one I've tried) into bank 2.  I can take this chip and put it in my other box, and it runs fine.  It's not the flash or the chip, and it's not the soldering - I checked continuity downstream from  vias/testpoints and all the connections are at 0 ohm (or thereabout).  This simply defies logic and reason! ;(

Thanks for the reply, though and those are great things for people to keep in mind!  I think I've about had it with Xecuter products, although the programmer is top-notch, and I may try a Xenium next time.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »

Many mod chip makers doubt even the existence of the 1.5, believing it to be a refurbished version of 1.4 motherboards with changes made to the LPC to prevent modding. This revision is exceedingly rare, if it exists at all.

So rare, yet everyone and their grandmother claim to have one.  blink.gif

Source: Click me
Alt. Source: Click Me too

1superflytnt

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Dec 18 2006, 05:38 PM) View Post

So rare, yet everyone and their grandmother claim to have one.  blink.gif

Source: Click me
Alt. Source: Click Me too

Well I don't know about my grandmother, as she never owned a TV and has been dead for some years now, but according to the Llama and other sites, using their visual references and voltage tests (3.3v against the ground annular ring) I do indeed have a 1.5, and I am just as surprised as the next guy.  

Realistically, though, what bearing does this have on my immediate problem?  Here's MORE for the mix...the chip, drive, bios, and HDD work fine in my 1.0 box, just not on this 1.5 (or as you so eloquently put it...mistaken 1.4 box  biggrin.gif  )  What info can I give you to help step through this?