xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X3 Ce V1.6 Frags Or Shuts Down- Bad Chip?  (Read 20 times)

crisnbre

• Archived User
X3 Ce V1.6 Frags Or Shuts Down- Bad Chip?
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

after installing xecuter 3 ce on xbox v1.6, the system 3x pwr up an frags or shuts off after a sec. All lights show its working i.e 2 blue lights on chip & green light. I resoldered all my connections and took voltage readings on the pins. They are as follows
 1) 1.6v
 2)0v
 3)0v
 4)XX
 5)3.2v
 6)XX
 7)3.1v
 8)3.3v
 9)3.3v
 10)3.3v
 11)3.3v
 12)0
 13)3.3v
 14)3.3v
 15)3.3v
 16)XX
 green wire 3.3v, red wire 0v, grey wire 3.3v.
Chips pwr red wire 4.9v
I found traces on the motherboard where the rebulit lpc points follow and tested there continuity, all seems to travel the traces with exception of pin 3 and 10 where i cannot find a test point (but voltages show they work(10). The system frags while it works flawlessly in normal mode. I have not been able to reach the bios screen since the install. I disconnected the switch from the chip and result was system shut down after a sec. connected it again and it seems to continue to shut down. during the sec its on the fan and lights on the chip work. Let it sit and turn it on it frags.
Tried to change the switch positions a thousand ways but most common off,on,off,off and get the same result- frags or shut down. What suggestions do you have?

Thank you
Cris

Larrimus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »

I had the exact same problem. I used the X3 LPC rebuild board and it would FRAG sometimes and the chip would just sometimes not boot at all. I fiddled with the D0 for I don't know how long and couldn't fix it. Finally, I removed the rebuild board, did the wire install and it works like a champ. My problem throughout the whole issue was the D0. I know you said that you're getting 3.3v to it like you should, but just recheck it to make sure. Curious, did you take the D0 reading from the solder pad on the MOBO or from the wire that you connected? If just from the pad, I guarantee that's your problem.

crisnbre

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »

took the reading from the wire itself, contemplated on doing the wire install but everything seems to looks like its getting juice, is the green wire in that tri supposed to have any voltage?

QUOTE(crisnbre @ Sep 21 2006, 05:27 PM) *

took the reading from the wire itself, contemplated on doing the wire install but everything seems to looks like its getting juice, is the green wire in that tri supposed to have any voltage?

OOPS I meant to say the RED* wire in that trio

Larrimus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »

The green and red wires are LAN and HDD activity respectively. If you had a network cable plugged into your xbox at the time of the reading, then you will have a voltage on the green wire. Same goes for the red (HDD) wire. This is a puzzler. I know some swear by the rebuild board, but it just didn't work for me. I didn't check the voltages or anything, but I could physically see solder making contact with the D0. If all else fails, try the wire install. The rebuild board is a pain to remove but may be worth it. Also, did you make sure you hit all the points on the rebuild board? Some are really easy to miss.

EDIT: fat fingers

This post has been edited by Larrimus: Sep 21 2006, 06:03 PM

crisnbre

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:08:00 AM »

i was certain to hit all points on the boards and had 2 sets of eyes looking for cold solders, i counted 18 points soldered total. I think i may take the advice and try the wire install. I have a tech support ticket in, but sure it will take a year for a response.

do you know where i can find a wire install tutorial or guide?

This post has been edited by crisnbre: Sep 21 2006, 06:13 PM

Larrimus

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

HERE ya go. Scroll down about half way and you'll see a diagram. Hope it works! Remember, I take no responsibility if it still doesn't work...lol.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

EDIT: Just wanted to add, once you do the wire install and everything works properly, I strongly encourage you to put a light coat of hot glue on your soldered joints and tape down any wires that could possibly snag during the reassembly process. Not only does the hot glue keep your wires from being pulled loose, but it also provides some insulation. May not look pretty, but who cares as long as it works.

This post has been edited by Larrimus: Sep 21 2006, 06:22 PM

crisnbre

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »

thanks, ill post when i fingure it out whether its a chip or wire prob

This post has been edited by crisnbre: Sep 21 2006, 06:21 PM

Larrimus

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(crisnbre @ Sep 21 2006, 12:51 PM) *

thanks, ill post when i fingure it out whether its a chip or wire prob

Not a problem. Shoot me a PM whenever you figure someting out. I might not remember to check this and I'd really like to know how it turns out.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

crisnbre

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »

OKay, Heres the result of hours of effort, handfuls of lost hair and realizations that is looks easier than it really was to install the wires. I removed the purple board from the xbox and went to work on the new wire install. 4 wires took hours after I lifted a pad off the motherboard and had the hardest time fixing its trace. Reason being the one trace ended under a chip and the other had no pad on the surface, just a little tiny circle without a contact pad. I ended up literally placing a small hair wire across the trace and a dab of solder finally held it in place to get continuity.

I taped the hell outta the contact wires and put the board in place and booted... instanly I saw the dip switch light was blue where as before was always red. I had a solid yellow eject light. I restarted the system after changing the switch to on off off off and WAM I got the bios screen! Now I need to read on how to flash, I have saw several forums on the discussion but never read as I hadnt made it that far. THANK YOU

If anyone has a suggestionn on a specific dashboard or bios version let me know (evolution x?). Plus anything else that may be important lol. I couldnt be happier as of this moment!!!! Well maybe! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Larrimus

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 07:08:00 AM »

I sent you a PM with some helpful links and such. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)