xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X3 Issues: How Can I Get The X3 To Launch My Soft Mod, And How Do I T  (Read 55 times)

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User

I put the x3ce in the system today, along with the X3CP and teh X3IR.  so far, the only issue i'm having with the chip directly is getting the x3 to load up my softmod by default.  using Krayzie's NDure 1.1

I'm also having trouble figuring out what's up with the X3IR.  the lack of documents on this is astonishing....none of the install guides showed me a trouble shooting guide so i don't know where to even start looking.  the fact that this was not plug and play was particularly harsh. i went no solder for a reason.

anyway, does anyone have the IR working in pix that i can see?

Does anyone know how i could get the chip to boot up with my soft mod at default?

thanx all

elborak

• Archived User
X3 Issues: How Can I Get The X3 To Launch My Soft Mod, And How Do I T
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

Your question doesn't really make sense.  Installing a modchip to "launch a softmod".  Huh?

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »

I have a soft mod already installed on my system.

i ONLY got the chip to run the LCD and the IR.  I don't have any other need/want for it.

So....i need to know how/what to flash to the chip so that when i turn on the chip in a particular bank, it runs "stock"

think of it running with the mod chip disabled, only it's not.

i believe all i need to do is flash one of the banks with an official bios, but i'm not sure which one or how.  my x3ce didn't come with any instruction manual.

also, i still need to get the X3IR working, and make sure it can replace the dvd dongle.

thanx

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »

It is pretty pointless to have a softmod on your xbox, but...

The first way you could do it is to boot with the chip off, duh.

If you wish to boot Ndure v1.1 with your chip on, then the only way is to Quicklaunch it. Go in the X3 Config Live and find the quicklaunch section. Set the quicklaunch to "E:\dashboard\default.xbe", then when you boot up, hold the trigger to load your dash up.

BTW, Xecutor blows as far as their docs on the stuff other than their chips. You probably had fun installing the CP too. I also ordered 2 IR's today, can't wait to install them...

This post has been edited by cerealkillajme: Apr 1 2006, 03:32 AM

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »

I guess what i need is the Soft mod installed for ShadowC and my current setup to remain intact and functional, only with the benefits of the chip, which for me are only superficial....color changing, the LCD screen enabled, the USB enabled, and the IR port.

i figure that i'd have several boot options.....

1 for retail 1.4 (which i hope will lead to krayzie's NDure Installer being able to work correctly, with the LCD on)
1 for retail 1.6 (which i hope will lead to krayzie's NDure Installer being able to work correctly, with the LCD on)
1 bank with the best bios available for the chip in 1.0 - 1.5
1 bank with the best bios available for the chip in 1.6
1 for the flashbios
Possibly 1 for linux?

If i can set the chip up this way, i'd be REALLY happy.  the chip's primary purpose was to add the CP, IR, and LCD screen to my 128mb 1.4.  The Chip's secondary purpose was to use to repair other systems.

And yeah, the IR from what i can tell still isn't working right....i'm guessing that it's a power issue, and that i will really have to solder those points on.....which does not make me happy at all.
thanx

This post has been edited by A Murder of Crows: Apr 1 2006, 07:55 PM

danielmid

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

Not sure what your problem is with the x3ir. I installed mine in about 10 minutes with no problems. Im not sure on the rules about links to other sites but here goes... I used a guide at xboxchopshop. I dont remember the exact address so just google it.

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »

grr.gif  grr.gif  grr.gif  grr.gif  grr.gif  grr.gif

okay, so here is what i have figured out:

1.  The bank system is confusing as hell initially
2.  NKPatcher will only work on the Retail Bios
3.  If I *EVER* want to use this chip on a 1.6b system, i HAVE to have FlashBios 3.0.3 on it.
4.  If I *EVER* want to use this chip on a 1.6a system, i HAVE to have FlashBios 3.0.1 on it.
5.  If I *EVER* want to use this chip in combination with NKPatcher's ShadowC Function, I have to flash retail Bios
6.  In order to use the LCD screen, i have to have a Bios that can configure it (x3 v3924) (Need confirmation that this is true)
7.  If I want the chip to boot from a dashboard in the E:\Dashboard folder, i have to set it to Quicklaunch.

So essentially the whole reason i bought the chip, to enable the LCD for use with the softmod, is not possible.

What I need in the next X3 Bios:

1. Enable a ShadowC enviroment if C:\ShadowC.img exists, or find a way to emulate a Retail BIOS for NKPatcher (or perhaps get NKPatcher to work with an X3 bios???)
2. Enable boot from a Folder instead of root.
3. Stablize the 1.6 issues so that someone could just have 1 Bios flash for everything.  Right now it seems that i need at least 4.

if ANYONE can give me a hand in solving these problems, or confirm that i can use the retail bios with the LCD, i'd appreciate it.

elborak

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(A Murder of Crows @ Apr 3 2006, 05:31 PM) View Post
3.  If I *EVER* want to use this chip on a 1.6b system, i HAVE to have FlashBios 3.0.3 on it.
4.  If I *EVER* want to use this chip on a 1.6a system, i HAVE to have FlashBios 3.0.1 on it.
No and no.  Man, you are making this whole thing way more complicated than it is.

You only need a FlashBIOS when you first fire up the chip to bootstrap an X3 BIOS.  And it comes with both 3.0.1 and 3.0.3 preinstalled so you can bootstrap any version Xbox.
1 bank with the best bios available for the chip in 1.0 - 1.5
1 bank with the best bios available for the chip in 1.6
Why in the world would you need both 1.6 and non-1.6 BIOSes on the same chip?  Your box is either one or the other.  Unless you plan to regularly swap it between multiple boxes, which also makes no sense.  You've said your box is a 1.4, so why are you doing all of this fussing worrying about various 1.6-only issues?

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(elborak @ Apr 3 2006, 08:10 PM) View Post

No and no.  Man, you are making this whole thing way more complicated than it is.

You only need a FlashBIOS when you first fire up the chip to bootstrap an X3 BIOS.  And it comes with both 3.0.1 and 3.0.3 preinstalled so you can bootstrap any version Xbox.
Why in the world would you need both 1.6 and non-1.6 BIOSes on the same chip?  Your box is either one or the other.  Unless you plan to regularly swap it between multiple boxes, which also makes no sense.  You've said your box is a 1.4, so why are you doing all of this fussing worrying about various 1.6-only issues?

I plan on pulling the chip out a lot.  Though it's home would be the 1.4, it's for repair purposes also.  I do not believe my chip came with both 3.0.1 AND 3.0.3.  If it did, i do not know how to switch between them.

Assume for the moment that my x3 only came with 3.0.1 and x3 2934 on banks 1-4.  I need to be able to pull the eeprom off of any xbox version AND run retail bios from the chip for any xbox version while still maintaining the LCD screen.

is this possible?  What bioses do i need (besides retail 1.4-1.6), and where should they be flashed?

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »

Okay, so no other responses about this....

IF both 3.0.1 and 3.0.3 were preinstalled, HOW do i switch between them??

the chips Main home is in a 1.4.  for now, though, until i can afford another chip, it's also my repair chip, so it has the potential of going into any damned version box there ever was.

perhaps the 2mb was just not enough......

adammcc81

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »

bank setting on on off off off lead you to 3.01  
off on off off off will take you 3.03.  this is correct assuming you haven't flashed to a bank yet.  if you boot to on on off off off and flash you will kill 3.03
if you boot to off on off off off for a 1.6b you need to swith to on on off off off before flashing the firmware

mutsnuts

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(A Murder of Crows @ Apr 11 2006, 09:42 PM) *

perhaps the 2mb was just not enough......

im sorry but ive got laugh at this whole post
you fitted a x3 but dont want it to run and just want an lcd, so why the hell did you fit an x3? pointless...

you say you want to use the x3 to fix other xboxs but dont have the money to buy more than one x3 or the know how on how to flash them correctly.
would anyone really trust you to repair their xbox!

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 04:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(mutsnuts @ Apr 11 2006, 06:14 PM) View Post

im sorry but ive got laugh at this whole post
you fitted a x3 but dont want it to run and just want an lcd, so why the hell did you fit an x3? pointless...

you say you want to use the x3 to fix other xboxs but dont have the money to buy more than one x3 or the know how on how to flash them correctly.
would anyone really trust you to repair their xbox!

What is there to laugh about?  why is it SO impossible to like the features that are in an NDure soft mod (Virtual Eeprom, ShadowC, clean root directories) and want to ONLY add in the ability to use the LCD?  Can you offer me a solution that will allow the soft mod to work Native as it is and still enable the LCD screen to work in XBMC and other programs?

If not, how about STFU?

I fit the X3 to use the X3CP+LCD screen.  That was all i wanted initially.  Now that i've played with the chip, i see it's problems and want them corrected, and some new features worked on.  Why is this pointless to you?  Have you even looked into what has gone on in the soft mod section since last year?

As for the money issue, if you knew how much i spent on my own xbox, maybe you'd understand why i only want 1 chip to do everything:

Xbox - $100
128MB upgrade - $85
official Halo 2 case and X3CE chip - $171
300GB hard drive - $120
Blue LED controller ports - $15
Blue/Red/Violet Power/Eject board - $13 x 2
Blue/Red/Violet Power/Eject board with dual color LED and Cleared Jewel - $24
Perfect condition Sammy ver B - $60
Blue X3CP - $45
Xapt3r 1.0-1.5 - $20
Xapt3r 1.6 - $20
X3IR - $23
X2VGA adapter - $80

This box has cost me a fortune, and it's time for me to move on to another project, like putting an engine into my mustang.

I paid a LOT for all this, so why shouldn't i have everything on 1 chip?  Why can't i expect the CP to include a place to hard wire the DVD Dongle, or for the IR to actually be able to use/emulate the commands from the official remote?

As for the flashing, the chip came to me without any sort of printed instructions, and searching around in here is like pulling teeth with a spoon.   I'm a TOTAL NOOB when it comes to chips, but not a noob to the scene or to softmodding.  For that matter, i'm not even relatively new to modding in general....I've been involved in hacking or modding game systems since 1993.  I've modded or hacked NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance SP.  I've done light mods to PS1, Dreamcast, and Sega Saturn since before it became the "in thing."  I was on the boards of some of the original game system hack sites, including the legendary XiaNaiX site on hacking/flashing the PS1 GameShark carts.  I was there when the scene became PS2Newz, and then again when it was PS2-Scene.  I've been here since 2003.  I've been on the GameSX tech site for YEARS.  I've been involved in the technical end of japanese to english translation projects.  Reading and expanding on information i found from others, I designed my own Sega Saturn Switchless Region modification.  I may not have contributed much to any of the scenes as far as original hacks or mods, but while i lacked in that department, i made up for it by offering help and new ideas in every scene i've been at.

Don't you DARE come to me questioning my ability to mod or repair, little man.  I don't see you contributing much, with your all of 12 posts.

Tell me, if you had to figure out the different Bank system on this chip on your own without much in the way proper instructions, wouldn't you be just a TAD bit confused as to why ANYONE would number the banks from 1 to 8, but group them into 1, 2s, 4s, and 8s as well?  naming 1mb banks as 1234 or 5678 and yet name the bank select switches bank 1, 2, 3, 4????  Wouldn't it have made sense to name the banks slightly differently?  Why didn't they just make an 8 switch system so you could just pick and choose EXACTLY which banks you are using?  why does switches 1234 being On.On.off.off equal Bank 1234 being selected?  Without any adequte instructions, basing completely on logic, wouldn't you think that Bank 1234 would be activated by using Switches 1234 at On.On.On.On????  Wouldn't it all make more sense to name the switches by letters instead???  1MB Bank 1234 is accessed by turning ABCD to On.On.off.off.  can you not see why it would have been confusing to someone just starting out with a chip????

Forget that the chip was my first.  It came preflashed with x3 3294 and since my system is a 1.4, it came with flashbios 3.0.1 only.  So there was NO WAY for me to know where to find 3.0.3.  I never had it, and there would not be enough space on the damned chip for both a 1.4 and a 1.6 compatible x3 bios at the same time as both versions of the flashbios anyway.

And for the record, i've modded and fixed many xboxes.  I've modded many xboxes.  I even got a guy to give up his Xenium Gold after he had me mod his box.  I have now fixed several systems that i couldn't fix before thanx to the chip, but this does not mean that the chip is the be-all, end-all of mods and that the chips is without limitations.   It CERTAINLY does not mean that someone would just instantly LOVE the chip when he's used to a soft mod, especially one so advanced as Krayzie's NDure installer.

Seems to make sense to me that if some security features of the soft mod aren't able to be used with a chip, there just MIGHT be some reason for someone to keep their mod intact.  Wouldn't you agree, or are you just that obtuse.

I'm utterly amazed at how fractured the scene is.  it's almost as if the chip people and the soft mod people don't discuss anything with each other.  I'm even more upset at the x3 people for having such poor documentation.  I'm ticked at Xbox-Scene for not having the search function working yet after, what has it been, 5 months??  And i'm ticked at the community for being so damned close minded, unimaginitive, and condeming when someone brings forth an idea or wants to make one thing (the soft mod) work with another (the chip) without losing any features from either one.  

I'm especially ticked at the audacity of Mr. Numbnuts, er...MutsNuts....for not even bothering to treat me with some semblence of respect.  The rest of you may not understand why i'm trying to get the result i want, but at least you've mostly been cool about it.

Why shouldn't i have it all?  WHY is it so hard to concive that someone would rather use a soft modded xbox over a mod chip?  All i wanted for my own box was to add the LCD and MAYBE change the colors of the flubber.  All the rest of the features don't matter to me much at all, until it comes time to fix other systems.  I keep my drives locked, and i can get on xbox live with my xbox without the chip if i so wanted.  I've got backups of my eeprom, i've got FTP access.   When i need to repair a box, i'm grateful for the chip, but the ONLY things it does is enable the LCD screen, color change the flubber animations, and BREAK my soft-mod without offering to use some compatible mode.

Since installing this chip, i've had to make a copy of my dashboard to the root of E, making my drive a little less tidy.  My Shadow C drive no longer boots, so when i run avalaunch i'm being told that C is full and i don't have the protection of that shadow C.  I don't get my virtual eeprom now either.

All because i wanted the lousy LCD screen and a bootup flubber/logo to match the case.

If you are not interested in helping to solve a problem, then you may LEAVE THIS THREAD.  You certainly are in no position to question my mod or repair abilities based upon the limited, uneducated and closed view you have.

/End Rant