xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: V1.0: Wire Install Or Desolder Lpc Holes?  (Read 59 times)

ctgene

• Archived User
V1.0: Wire Install Or Desolder Lpc Holes?
« on: January 25, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »

for the 1.0 MB I would just do the wire install if you have limited soldering skill, it is really a piece of cake as all you need do is stick the tip ofyor iron in the lpc hole heat up the solder and stick the wire in....here's a tut http://home.comcast....allationFAQ.htm  .....

slimgrip

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »

Do the wire install, clearing the LPC holes properly & safely can be a daunting task for many of the most adept solderers!

I find the best way is to heat the solder in the LPC holes then push in the tips of the wires while solder is molten.

IPB Image

I also find it easier to add a spot of solder to pin hole 2(brown wire #1) on the LPC before trying to add the wire.

HTH
Slim

slimgrip

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »

i always find that the hoole for the brown wire isnt as full of solder as the rest so is harder to melt unless you have a very fine solder tip, so rather than change tip i add a little to the hole so it melts in with the rest, then when i apply heat it then melts easy to push the wire in.

Just hold the solder iron tip to that hole compared to another & you will see what i mean.

Slim

TonyF11

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »

This link is IMHO is the one u need Wire Install. As for the flux pen just do as Slim says dip each wire into flux then tin. Heat the solder up in the lpc hole and insert the coresponding wire.

elborak

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(slimgrip @ Jan 25 2006, 11:31 AM) View Post
clearing the LPC holes properly & safely can be a daunting task for many of the most adept solderers!
I'll not try to disuade you from a wire install, it's a perfectly reasonable option, but this is just silly.  Pick up a cheap solder-sucker from Radio Shack and removing the LPC hole solder takes about 5 minutes and is absolutely trivial.

TonyF11

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »

An in experienced soldrer may and probably will end up takin the dougnut rings from the board using a solder sucker and thus render the MB usless. Keep ith the wire install.

elborak

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(TonyF11 @ Jan 25 2006, 03:27 PM) View Post
An in experienced soldrer may and probably will end up takin the dougnut rings from the board using a solder sucker and thus render the MB usless.
I'd say that's almost impossible to do.  A sucker doesn't produce anywhere near enough suction to remove a via!  I would not recommend a novice try it with wick (as they could let the solder harden and then pull off a via), but with a sucker it's practically foolproof.

And the post was was replying to said it was difficult for "adept" solderers, not inexperienced ones...

TonyF11

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »

An in-experienced solderer if not careful may leave the iron in contact with the lpc point (hole with solder) for to long thus resulting in dis-lodging the doughnut ring in the lpc hole and when the solder sucker is applied at the same time will result in the doughnut ring lifting from the MB. It is no way as you sate "almost impossible".  Im am only tring to help this guy from doing damage to his board and IMHO if he takes ur advice will do so. As I say stick with the wire install inserting each wire from the loom into the correspondimg lpc hole (colour coded). As he is an inexperienced solderer  I suggest staying  away from removing the solder from the holes.
HTH

elborak

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(TonyF11 @ Jan 25 2006, 05:18 PM) View Post
An in-experienced solderer if not careful may leave the iron in contact with the lpc point (hole with solder) for to long thus resulting in dis-lodging the doughnut ring in the lpc hole and when the solder sucker is applied at the same time will result in the doughnut ring lifting from the MB. It is no way as you sate "almost impossible".
And there is less risk of this than the soldering involved in the wire install you are recommending...

In all of the posts I've read here of lifted traces & vias, I've yet to see even one resulting from improper use of a solder sucker.
Im am only tring to help this guy from doing damage to his board and IMHO if he takes ur advice will do so.
And what advice is that?  I already said that it's sound advice to stick to the wire install.  Please point to where I've said otherwise...

I'm just correcting bad information for future readers of this thread.

TonyF11

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »

What bad information? From me? I think from urself i.e  quote "I'd say that's almost impossible to do. A sucker doesn't produce anywhere near enough suction to remove a via". If it was impossible then you would not say this and surley an in experienced solder would not want to take this chance which you are adament to enforce. Make ur mind up. I have done many installations and rectified numerous bad installs and im saying that it is possible to dis-lodge a doughnut ring "via" as you say. Give this guy the best info we can so he can sucessfully install his mod.

elborak

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(TonyF11 @ Jan 25 2006, 05:43 PM) View Post
I have done many installations and rectified numerous bad installs and im saying that it is possible to dis-lodge a doughnut ring "via" as you say.
So you've seen a via (that's the correct term) dislodged by use of a sucker?

The soldering involved with desoldering via a sucker is less risky than the soldering involved with a wire install.  That's simply the truth.  That being said, a wire install is a very sound and reasonable choice.  But don't try to create some FUD cloud around desoldering.  That's just silly.

Allow me to put it another way: if your soldering skills are so poor that you are incapable of desoldering the LPC holes with a sucker, there's absolutely no way you should even consider doing a solder install of any sort.  Go solderless or have a professional do it.

But wire installs are fine and are a good choice if you don't have a sucker and don't want to spend the $10.

TonyF11

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »

Im glad u agree with the original opinion  "wire install".  NUFF SAID

elborak

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(TonyF11 @ Jan 25 2006, 05:55 PM) View Post
Im glad u agree with the original opinion  "wire install".
Indeed, I've never said otherwise.  The only thing I ever disagreed with was slimgrip's comment: "clearing the LPC holes properly & safely can be a daunting task for many of the most adept solderers!"

slimgrip

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »

To put a finer point on it solder suckers are shite unless you have grown a 3rd arm, they dont completely remove the solder from the LPC rings/holes & people are tempted to insert the iron tip into the hole therefore risking removing the LPC rings. Trying to insert a pin header with the holes improperly cleared risks damaging the rings also.

My original point was to deter him from removing the solder as absolutely ZILCH is gained by removing it when wires are easier to insert than the removal of solder.

Also on a different note why on earth teamXecuter put the extended 5v wire on the loom baffles me because any modder with a modicum of common sense wouldnt use the wire loom on a 1.6   huh.gif

Slim

HardcorePooka

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »

Because some people do like wire installs... why? I have no freakin clue. If I can do a pin header... I do a pin header... but some people love the wires... weirdos.
Pages: [1] 2