xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The D0 Wire Keeps Melting Off...  (Read 49 times)

ShMaCk2004

• Archived User
The D0 Wire Keeps Melting Off...
« on: January 30, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »

"it melts the d0 wire off" wtf...

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 07:43:00 PM »

LMAO solder melts at like 500+ degrees and the cpu runs at under 200 degrees.  At 500 degrees all the circuitry would melt and your xbox would die.  The solder cant be melting, most likely you just didnt solder it well and its coming off.

bemad31102

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »

You may be using to much solder.  I have had this problem with a few aladdin chips.  Was using the D0 point under the motherboard and the solder would melt and head to the left to the next point.  This would cause the MS dash not to load.  Chip worked fine and Avalaunch would load but no MS dash.  After some trial and error I removed the extra solder and reattached the wire and finally after removing enough to were it would no longer melt and spill over.  As for the reason it melted I have no idea.  I was not ven using that much solder and it still would melt and spill over.  
     Removing some solder may solve your problem because it solved mine.  Again it may not look like you are using a lot but you might be.  Also try using a brand new tip on the soldering iron.  After every three or up to five soldering jobs I do I replace the tip.  If your soldering tip is yellow and not silver or what ever the original color was it may be time to switch.  I buy a cheap $7 soldering iron at radio shack and the points are .99 each.  Hope this helps.

modchipnub

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(bemad31102 @ Jan 31 2005, 04:03 AM)
You may be using to much solder.  I have had this problem with a few aladdin chips.  Was using the D0 point under the motherboard and the solder would melt and head to the left to the next point.  This would cause the MS dash not to load.  Chip worked fine and Avalaunch would load but no MS dash.  After some trial and error I removed the extra solder and reattached the wire and finally after removing enough to were it would no longer melt and spill over.  As for the reason it melted I have no idea.  I was not ven using that much solder and it still would melt and spill over. 

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 10:00:00 PM »

Just use the alt d0, its 1000000x easier to solder to.

manu_xl

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 05:58:00 AM »

put some solder on your d0 wire first. it will be much easier to solder it.

it only takes a second to attach it then

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »

Your D0 point should not get hot at all.  Any increase in heat on that wire indicates a serious problem.  You should send the mobo off to a pro or a local installer to troubleshoot further.

It's more likely a dry solder joint that just happens to come loose with the slightest movement.  As suggested, try the bottom D0 point.

modchipnub

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »

I just found out that I messed up the d0 point(broken trace or whatever) so I'm thinking about trying this tutorial on fixing a broken trace, but I don't know if I should because I might mess it up even more.  The d0 point looks like the one in the tutorial on fixing a broken trace without solder LOL.  Oh yeah and where is the alt d0 point anyway, because I have a 1.4 or 1.5.