xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Keep Getting M$ Logo!  (Read 61 times)

The Trooper

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« on: June 17, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

I have a 2.3b Lite chip which I installed today using the pin header install mtheod. I soldered all those in ok and then soldered the d0 on the back of the motherboard. Plugged everything up and turned it on. The blue LED's come on okay and then green LED comes on okay, but I keep getting the MS logo. Which of these, if not another, problem is happening?

1. Bad d0 soldering?

2.The very first time I turned it on there was some smoke coming from the motherboard. I quickly turned everything off and cleaned up what appeared to be the problem (solder splash). Could something have been fried?

3. Something with the pin header?

I've tried fixing the d0 point several times but still nothing. Can anyone help?

twisted.penguin

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 02:46:00 PM »

Did you enable the modchip via its external switches to turn on, and not be disabled?

The Trooper

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »

Yeah, I have it set to enabled, unprotected, and bank 2. I've tried all the patterns of switching between enabled/disabbled, and the banks and still got nothing. When I have it disabled it's the exact same as when it's enabled.

twisted.penguin

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 03:26:00 PM »

Then its deffinatly something wrong with the d0. Or, did the chip come flashed?

The Trooper

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 03:29:00 PM »

I'm not sure. I ordered it form system-mods.com

twisted.penguin

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 03:30:00 PM »

MODCHIP INSTALLATION TROUBLESHOOTING - SYMPTOMS AND SOLUTIONS:
This tutorial is to help you troubleshoot install issues and give you a fairly comprehensive understanding of what is going on when you install a modchip. This covers about 95% of the problems that people have. If you need further assistance or your symptoms don't seem to match what's here, please post in the forums. Do not post in this thread and DO NOT PM ME with install issues.

HOW A MODCHIP WORKS:
Turning the chip 'on' only serves to ground D0. When D0 is grounded the Xbox looks for a bios on the LPC points instead of the usual TSOP location on the motherboard. If the Xbox can't find a bios on the LPC it frags (turns itself on/off and flashes lights). With the chip off it never looks to the LPC so there is no problem. It's literally that simple. All a modchip really does is hold a bios for you.

SIMPLE TROUBLESHOOTING RULES:

1) If the Xbox frags with the chip enabled and boots normally with the chip disabled - your D0 is fine and the problem is the LPC:
- In most cases the chip isn't installed correctly (reinstall, resolder)
- It will also frag if the chip itself doesn't have a bios on it. Certain chipmakers preflash their chips with a bios a la Xecuter who uses a version of Cromwell - other chip makers send their chips blank a la the Xbit chip. Hint - know your chip and whether or not it should have a preflashed bios on it so you know whether or not this point matters and what it means to you because no bios or bad bios = frag.
- In some rare cases this can indicate motherboard damage localized on the LPC. The Xbox is still fully functional with the chip disabled but there may be a burnt/bridged trace or some other issue that prevents the LPC from functioning properly.
- It can also be something as small as heat related effects on the contact but this brings us back to a poor installation or solder job.
- If you are confident all of the above is fine then test the modchip itself in another box or send it back for testing (99% of the people reaching this stage after trying everything else are certain it's the chip and only find out it was one of the other issues all along - of course bad chips do occasionally happen).

2) If your Xbox boots the standard MS bios regardless of the chip being on or off:
- Your D0 is not properly connected (resolder/reseat to get D0 connection). Also - carefully read the next point below.
- Does the hacked bios you are using look VISIBLY different from the stock bios? This is important. As of writing this the Xecuter bioses all say Xecuter when they boot but the EvoX bios looks identical to the stock bios. So either use an Xecuter bios or download XBTool and color/modify your bios before flashing it to the chip. This alone causes a thousand hours of wasted boot disc and media testing along with a few people replacing their DVD drives with Samsungs only to later figure out that their D0 wasn't properly connected. USE A VISIBLY DIFFERENT BIOS - there are too many variables in creating a boot disc to complicate it with an unconfirmed install.
- In the rarest of instances there is a chance that the chip is malfunctioning and is not grounding D0 properly by the enable/disable. To test this you can manually ground the D0 by soldering/connecting a wire to D0 and the groundpoint screw. This is really so rare I've seen it only once and if you are reading this guide your chances of reverse engineering a chip to repair it are slim to none.

3) If your Xbox frags when enabled and disabled:
-You likely have a problem on your motherboard unless the grounding mechanism on the chip is having issues.
-Remove the chip and all connection from D0. If it still frags, it is definitely damage to your motherboard if there isn't excess solder somewhere.

4) If your Xbox sometimes boots the hacked bios when the chip is enabled but sometimes frags:
-You have inconsistent LPC contact. Reinstall chip on the LPC.

There you have it - you should be able to diagnose 95% of the symptoms that cause problems as well as anyone on this board.

If you run into further problems DO NOT PM ME. Post a message in the forum - not on this thread. You will get help much faster and may also get someone who has specific experience with your issue.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

The Trooper

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »

I guess I'm going to need and try fixing my d0 point. I've been doing it on the alternate point the whole time so I'll try the top one. My alternate d0 is starting to become a little messy so that might be a problem as well.

thewitness

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »

yeah all xecuters come preflashed with cromwell BIOS and when i flashed mine i HAD to keep it on bank 2 to flash it

XboxPro

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »

use a desoldering braid and re-solder the wire to the Do point. also befor you solder clean the point with some alcohol and a q-tip.

XboxPro

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 04:50:00 PM »

dry.gif Edit: damn server

XboxPro

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »

also you could use a fibre glass pen to enlarge the D0 pint size like in the team xecuter install.

good luck dude

The Trooper

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 04:56:00 PM »

Thanks a lot for the tips! Looks like I'm heading to Radioshack tomorrow.

XboxPro

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »

good luck dude biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif  post back with your luck

The Trooper

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 09:00:00 AM »

*sigh*

Went and got a desoldering braid and flux and I just can'r do this damn d0 point. I'm sending it to someone else to do before I fuck it up.

XboxPro

• Archived User
Keep Getting M$ Logo!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 09:19:00 AM »

sorry to hear that dude dry.gif

i just installed another pinheader and it worked

Good luck beerchug.gif
Pages: [1] 2