xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How To Tell A Bad Flash?  (Read 209 times)

aigatsol

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« on: January 08, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »

Hunt,

If you get a answer to your problem please PM me the fix.
I have the exact same setup as you except a x2 2.3B + with the same problem. Chip was working fine before the flash. After I flashed the bios with 4979.67 (1024mb) BIOS.BIN and 100mb ABC.DAT Dummy file all I get is 3 reboots and a frag. The flash went perfectly fine. Cornwell bios found the cd with the new bios and flashed it perfectly.

I know the chip is installed correctly so that is out the picture. The chip was set to enable, unprotect, and bank 2 when I flashed it. I am stumped for the moment. If I find out a fix I will let you know.

Thanks
AIG

huntsterunc

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »

I have the programmer, so I'm going out to find a cable tommorrow and likely spend my day flashing the hard way.  As for the banks, to my understanding, there is just 1 bank, however it can be alloted as 1 bank, 2 banks, 3 banks, or 4, all depending on how you set the dip switches.  (similar to partitioning a harddrive?)  I had my swtiches set to the 1mb bank...cromwell came up, the flash seemed to go off fine, but upon reboot, frag.  The harddrive beeped too.  Wonder if that means anything.

I'll fill yall in if I come up with anything.

H

free_loaderz

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 05:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (huntsterunc @ Jan 9 2004, 03:59 AM)
This is the 3rd xbox I've done.  Not to say I'm old hat, but I guess after the first two you kinda figure out whats going on.  I'm stumped on this one.  Put a 2.3b Pro in a v1,1 box.  After getting tired of screwing with the thompson drive and its hatred for media.  I yanked my samsung out of my xbox and used it to flash the bios with a bios cd that I've used successfully b4.

So the bios flashes fine, then the xbox shuts off as it should.  Goto turn it back on and get the 3 reboots then FRAG.  Is this a bad flash?  I've jiggled wires, plugged in different HD's different DVDROMS, tried different banks and still no boot and all FRAG all the time.  I don't think its the soldering as the chip worked prior to flashing the bios.  So I'm guessing bad flash...?   Short of getting the programmer...is there anything else I can do to recover?  I have a xecuter2.2 lite in my xbox.  Could I move that over to the FRAGing xbox to do something?

And for the record, I've combed these forums for hours lookin for a similar problem but to no avail.  I'd greatly appreciate any help.  Thanks alot in advance.

Hunt

Same exact problem - I have the 1.5 XBox and a 2.3pro.  Everything went fine until the REBOOT after the flash sad.gif  Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated

terfog

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 06:28:00 AM »

same problem here but with a xbox v1.0 an xecuter 2.3b lite. i burned a cd rw with xecuter bios 4978. it flashes and then it just frags like ur xbox. any1 have a solution to this im getting pretty scared sad.gif

freminman

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 07:53:00 AM »

I think I'm in the same boat as you guys. Would a Programmer fix this definately? If so I guess I'll be forced to acquire one.

huntsterunc

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

I just used the programmer this afternoon to flash the bios.  According to X2 Bios Manager I had no errors flashing the chip.  It found the chip with no problems at all.  Flashed it with the programmer no problems.  Plugged it in...3 reboots and FRAG.  CAn you still flash the bios if your LPC points are bad?  Only thing I can think of now is that my LPC's might actually be bad and/or my chip is bad.

H

dsrice

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 08:40:00 AM »

huntsterunc, you don't a need  cable, you can remove the silver case around the lpt connector of the programmer and plug directly into the back of motherboard.  no worries about cable legnth, works great. rolleyes.gif

aigatsol

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »

Hunt,

Damn man I hope it is not the LPC points. My system is doing the same thing as yours and I have ordered a programmer today. I will play with the chip again tonight. If I figure anything out then I will definetly post a reply of what I have found.

GRIlVlLOCK

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »

same situation here, guys   uhh.gif

2.3b pro, FRAGs after what seems like a good flash...

any help would be GREATLY appreciated...   sad.gif

afedock

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 11:48:00 AM »

same exact problem...except when the modchip is on i dont have any video (but might possibly be my friends crappy tv for some reason). I turned the xbox on, tray popped out, but in the bios disc, did its stuff and turned itself off....Now it frags.

GRIlVlLOCK

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 12:11:00 PM »

ok guys, everyone list the xbox version, modchip version and bios that you're having problems with...  I think I've figured mine out...

- version 1.4 Xbox
- Xecutor2.3b Pro modchip
- Xecuter4977 bios

My problem (that I didn't research before flashing) is that the 1.4/1.5 xboxes have to have the Xecuter4979 or EvoxM7 bios to work...  (according to this chart)

Hope this helps...

was123

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 12:29:00 PM »

1:) all bioses requier 1meg not 256 or 512...

2:) use 4979 or 4980 nothing else unless you have a 1.5 then go with m7

3:) if its a version1.1 or 1.0 check the d0 on your install cause it changed for 12. and up.this is a big factor with the lite plus chip...

aigatsol

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 02:48:00 PM »

sad.gif

AIG

aigatsol

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 03:26:00 PM »

Dangger,

That does not sound good, I am crossing my fingers my chip flashes with the programmer once it arrives next week. Did you get your 2.3b lite + from modchip.ca? If so when did you order yours. I am wondering if it is a bad batch.

Thanks for the info
AIG

dangger

• Archived User
How To Tell A Bad Flash?
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »

confirmation!...
I got the x2.3 working with the external programmer from modchip.ca

my x2.3 where from systemmods... and they all didn't flash correctly...

then i flashed it with the external programmer with x2bios manager (so simple, too simple)

and that didn't work either..

it wasn't untill i attach all three grounds to the chip until it worked "consistantly"
it's running well on a 1.4 and 1.3 xbox right now with M7

yay!   i hope you guys try out the groundings...   post what you got!
Pages: [1] 2