xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Media Choice And Burning Software Question  (Read 218 times)

JediYodaNT

• Archived User
Media Choice And Burning Software Question
« on: December 22, 2003, 03:09:00 AM »

Ok, Here's My Problem.  I've Walked Through Several Tutorials And Triet To Follow The Directions To The Letter.  I've Installed My Xecuter 2.3 Lite Plus Mod Chip In My V1.0 XBox.  I Can Boot To The Linux Cromwell Flash Screen And Get The Drive To Eject.  Now, What Program Should I Be Using To Make The Bios Disc?  I'm Trying Nero And Not Having Any Luck.  Is It The Burning Software?  Should I Be Using Another?  Or Is It The Media?  I've Tried Several CD-RWs. Smart and Friendly, HP, Memorex, And Memorex Audio.  All 4 Formats Fail To Read In The Drive.  I've Also Tried It With A DVD+R.  Any Suggestions Would Be Wonderful.  Thanks In Advnce.

Softco Industries

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 03:28:00 AM »

How are you burning it?  Find a file (roughly 100mb) on your PC, copy it to ur desktop, and rename it ABC.DAT, and re-naming the bios you want to flash it with BIOS.BIN
Start nero, and make an ISO Compiliation, re-name the disk to BIOS, and place the files on the disk.  ABC.DAT should be before BIOS.BIN
Then try.  This should work.  If not, try the same as a UDF compilation, and finally, an Xbox iso.  If you want to skip using UDF AND Xbox ISO, take a PC CD/DVD Drive, use a molex splitter on the HDD Power cable, and use the DVD Drive's IDE cable.  Then, use the PC DVD to flash it.

JediYodaNT

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 03:34:00 AM »

I Have Been Making The ISO's According To The Tutorials.  I've Inserted A 200mb Dummy File Called ABC.DAT Along With The Bios I Created Using The X2 Bios Manager Program. I've Then Used Nero To Burn The ISO Just As Instructed.  The Problem Is That None Of My Discs Are Being Recognised.

Softco Industries

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 03:35:00 AM »

Does it say "Disc not recognized" or "Bios not recognized"?

JediYodaNT

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 03:39:00 AM »

Neither.  It Keeps Spitting Out The Drive Tray And Asking For The Bios CD To Install.

Softco Industries

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 03:46:00 AM »

Use the PC DVD method.

JediYodaNT

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 04:02:00 AM »

Ok, I Just Tried Setting Up A PC DVD Drive Using The IDE Ribbon From The XBox's DVD Drive And Used A PC Power Splitter To Give It Power.  The Concept Was Great However The XBox Still Wants To Look For Data From It's Own Drive.  It Didn't Even Try To Look At The Contents Of The Disc In The PC DVD Drive.

gsgleason

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 06:13:00 AM »

you should not be making an xiso image for cromwell.  cromwell will read a regular CD which should be readable in a pc.

ppike

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 07:02:00 AM »

I was stuck much like you when I was installing my 2.3 after following every peice of instruction I could find.  I eventually gave up on Nero and tried Easy CD Creator for W95.  I followed the same settings, and it worked like a charm on every peice of media that failed with Nero.

go figure.

vegeotto

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 07:28:00 AM »

I'm stuck with no bios update found...halting.  I've followed all tutorials with nero, and my bios is named bios.bin (512kb, and 1mb) Should i try other cdrws, burning software or what?  Also with the pc drive thing do you still give the dvd drive for the xbox power?

JediYodaNT

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »

Well, I Tried Making A Memorex CD-RW With Easy CD Creator And Still No Luck.

lookformeb

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »

Memorex 700MB CD-RW's won't work...

Must be Memorex 650MB 4x's...  Follow my tutorial step-by-step...   :D

I don't think easy cd creator is the best choice of burning software....

This post has been edited by lookformeb: Dec 22 2003, 05:17 PM