xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2 Attempts At Boot Up And Third One Frags  (Read 275 times)

snake eyes

• Archived User
2 Attempts At Boot Up And Third One Frags
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2003, 11:17:00 AM »

biggrin.gif  )  Well, I'm gonna wrap up and take this biatch back and see if this "professional" can fix it.

sigel

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2003, 11:44:00 AM »

QUOTE (freelookmode @ Nov 24 2003, 07:51 PM)
hi guys:

thanks for all the input.  i will check my solder points again, but for me, it only happened after i tried NFS Underground.  reinstalling evox makes the problem go away, but then i try NFS Underground again, and i get that reboot, reboot, frag...

any comments on that?

--O2

I got sick and tired of trying different stuff and threw the chip into another xbox...works mint now....

To answer your question, i have the same game and it doesn't give me that problem no matter how many times i run it.

It might be that this is the game you happen to be running when it occurs... mine would boot up sometimes and then the next time i turned it on it would FRAG again.

It seemed like heat was causing the problem.

I'm gonna rip out the damn header pins, clean everything up and do a wire install to see if that makes a difference.

freelookmode

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 08:01:00 AM »

happy.gif

heat was something i thought of too.  but i tried a few times to boot it up after a night of leaving it off unplugged, and sometimes it would frag.  i do agree with you somewhat, that the heat is an issue.

that would explain maybe why when i reflashed a different BIOS, everything started working again.  however, remember, for some weird reason i had to reinstall evox too.  i dunno why.  i mean, i reflashed to 4976.02 and it still wouldn't boot.  so i tried again and again until it worked (seemed to be random, like i said), and reinstalled evox.  now everything is fine.

so, if you want the recipe to how i got my xbox working again:

1. boot boot boot until it worked
2. backup all my stuff
3. reflash bios to 4976.02
4. boot boot boot until it worked
5. reinstalled evox 2.5

now everything is rock solid (knock on wood).

--O2

sinist3r

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2003, 11:17:00 AM »

Hi, Guys  i have the same issue and i have seem to have found a fix for it temporary fix that is flash your bios with a bios image that doesnt have the animation enabled and when it turn on and off third time and flash orange/red press eject it will load evox and hence you can use your xbox i have checked my d0 point over and over again and i can't figure itout my xbox is a 1.0 this has seem to let me use my xbox bare in my while evox is load the orange/red flashing is still going on i just ignore it and it works for me till i find a better answer.

freelookmode

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »

ok.

last night my xbox fragged on me for the first time in a LONG time (i guess knocking on wood didn't work.. haha...).  the only thing i did was bring it to a friend's house, but when i powered up i accidentally hit the eject button to power up instead of using the power button, then it fragged.  perhaps the bumping around screwed something up, or it had something to do with the eject button.  i have a strange feeling it has to do with the HD though, for me anyway.  when i was first installing the modchip, i powered up and down a LOT, and i'm afraid i damaged my HD... does that make any sense, anybody?  that an xbox would FRAG due to a busted or a bad HD?

the nice thing about this fragging session though, is that if i tried turning it on and off a few times, it would work on the second or third try.  before, if my xbox started fragging, the only way to boot back up with modchip on was to install the original HD (with original M$dash) again.

--O2

Slackin

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 01:12:00 AM »

Im experiancing same problems as sinister
only will boot with a non animated bios and I have to push the eject button during the red/amber flash in order to get to evox. Happened shortly after i was playing xiii and NFS undergound. Seems now my clock gets reset to 1/1/2002 on every poweroff cycle, will hold clock data on a evox reboot but not when power down. is it possible a file is getting corrupted somewhere? or a setting in the  eeprom?

This red/yellow flashing is annoying but at least I can still play.

matrix w/evox 3921 and evoxm7 bios

sigel

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2003, 04:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (freelookmode @ Dec 3 2003, 03:17 AM)
ok.

last night my xbox fragged on me for the first time in a LONG time (i guess knocking on wood didn't work.. haha...).  the only thing i did was bring it to a friend's house, but when i powered up i accidentally hit the eject button to power up instead of using the power button, then it fragged.  perhaps the bumping around screwed something up, or it had something to do with the eject button.  i have a strange feeling it has to do with the HD though, for me anyway.  when i was first installing the modchip, i powered up and down a LOT, and i'm afraid i damaged my HD... does that make any sense, anybody?  that an xbox would FRAG due to a busted or a bad HD?

the nice thing about this fragging session though, is that if i tried turning it on and off a few times, it would work on the second or third try.  before, if my xbox started fragging, the only way to boot back up with modchip on was to install the original HD (with original M$dash) again.

--O2

Those are not symptoms of a broken hard drive.... if your hard drive breaks the xbox will still boot but give you an error code ( i think it's 13 or 15) to say that it can't load the dashboard

Did you try re-installing evolution x??? It has worked for some people. Let me know how things work out.

BTW... I always power up my xbox with the eject button when i need to insert a cd.... I never heard of that harming an xbox... so you can relax about that too.

s10blazed

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2003, 09:26:00 AM »

*RAISES HAND* - My turn

Same problem as everyone else here but with 2 seperate machines.  My Xbox is a 1.4 with 2.2 Pro. Header pin install.  Worked great for 2 straight weeks upon first install.  I could run any BIOS I chose with no problems.  Games worked beautifully off of 120 GB Seagate drive. Worked fine until...

Well almost as a freak coincidence it started FRAG'ing intermittenly right when I put a Xecutor 2.2 lite in my buddy's 1.0 Xbox.  His FRAG'd every time.  I never did get a Cromwell screen.  I checked every connection (wire install on this one) and the d0 a billion times.  Resorted to ordering a Programmer to verify the BIOS on it.  Waiting for the programmer as I type...

so back to my Xbox... I know the chip is good because its been working fine.  I take it to friends houses quite often and until recently it was fine.  Well I took it apart to examine it.  Like I said, the FRAGs were interemitten.  So I decided to re-do the d0 and make sure my chip was seated snug on the header pins.  I also trimmed a bit of my mod chip's pcb to slide beside some bit of circuitry.  It was keeping it from sitting down on the headerpins by about the width of the pcb.  So now thats tight, and the d0 is excellent.  Booted up clean first try.  Runs all my games great.  Although I have been playing NFS:U a lot lately... right about when this started.  Coincidence maybe? I'll keep track if it FRAGs again. It's been fine for a few hours.

And now back to my buddy's.  I took his apart in preparation or programming the chip when the programmer gets here.  Well I looked it over and decided to re-do the d0 so it was as perfect as can be.  It was a wire install too, and I could easily tell those were in well.  So for the hell of it I put it back together as it laid there, and booted it. FRAG'd once and I went to open the CD in, just to store my BIOS disc I had ready... and VOILA! Cromwell! I'm currently trying to flash it.  Not having luck reading discs in his Thomson drive.

Both xboxs seemed to be connected well before I redid each d0.  I also cleaned the ground surface with a pencil eraser.  I never changed the BIOS in the 1.4 xbox.  Its 4977 with no animation and custom colors.  I keep IGR on and use it quite a bit.  Been playin NFS:U like there's no tomorrow... etc.

Does anyone see a definite common link here?

sigel

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2003, 05:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (freelookmode @ Nov 25 2003, 04:51 AM)
ok peoples.. my new report:

now, when i stuck my xecuter to the side of the box, i put it a little too high, and the dvd-rom tray ended up pressing against the chip.  so after closing the case, there is a little pressure on the modchip.  i dunno if that's relevant or not, but i thought i'd mention it.  right now, i've done the testing with the main case off, so there's no pressure on the chip.  mebbe it heats up faster with the chip like that, dunno.

ANYWAY, i've played NFS Underground for a good hour or so, soft controller boot, didn't work.  powered down and up, and it booted fine!  this time, when i reinstalled evox, i used 2.5 final and the X2 4976.02 bios.

if any of you want to try, try flashing 4976.02 and then reinstall evox.  tell me if it works for you.

--O2

Ok, just figured one of many reasons for double boot and FRAG.

Make sure the dvd drive is not putting any pressure on any part of the chip.

In my case the chip was placed a bit too high on the side and the dvd drive would push down on the header pin connector causing it to frag everytime.

I took out the dvd drive and it worked fine....i applied a bit of pressure to the header pin connector and it fragged.

Moved the chip down a bit and flawless boots from now on.

s_cube

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2003, 06:12:00 PM »

Strangeness around...
-  have a 2.2lite wire install
-  I just got a v1.4 and could not get it to work.  no matter what I did it would frag and display the same problems: clock would reset, no bios would work on it, could boot ms dash no prob.   I noticed the thread about the bad batch of 2.2 pro's and thought a bad batch of 2,2lite could exist.  I got to the point where I dismantled my other box, a v1.3, and took the chip out of there.  Each chip had the identical bios on them (custom M7), but my older x2.2 chip (from the 1.3) eventually worked on the v1.4 box after all the eject and reset/clock bs.    (The new x2.2lites worked on my v1.3 box so I guess that rules out bad batch).    When I did get my x2.2 working on the v1.4  swapping dvd drives would make it frag as well and I would have to reset a few times and hit the eject button.    
-   I've played w/ v1.5 as well, but never experienced anything like this before.     This v1.4 seems to be able to distinguish between chips.  it likes an older one (from SMT) vs. this newer purchased one (from modchipman.com).      It is odd to see this similar problem arising in older versions also ....

s_cube

Numpty

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2003, 02:40:00 AM »

tongue.gif

wsly

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2003, 05:15:00 AM »

wink.gif

Dapo

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »

Why is my modchip LED not even lighting up at all?????
can this be due to the LPC points? I have xecuter 2.3 Lite.
I am also FRAging
Thanks in advance guys.

Lung-Dart

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2003, 04:33:00 PM »

I am having a similair problem with a 1.5 xbox, and a Xecuter 2.3

All LPC points are ok, I have checked and rechecked them time and time again.  The D0 wire is fine.

The xbox boots when the mod is disabled, so I power off and enable the mod.  Turn on and all I get is the 3 boot frag, or power cycle.  Clock is reseting after only 5 minutes, AND IM NOT UNPLUGGIN the xbox.  Wierd huh.

Now, I have installed many mod chips but this is my first 2.3.  I am not having a good expierence that is for sure.  I keep expecting the DVD tray to eject to ask for my evox disk, but nothing.  

Now, when installed correctly does the Xbox logo come up with "Cromwell" below, or should I just get no video on this 1.5??

I've been pulling what hair I have out all week, and I'd like to get this fixed up before I put my barber out of buisness.

Help me please!!!

joecool

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2003, 08:01:00 AM »

I got a major fraging problem with a box.....  

XBOX 1.0, MATRIX CHIP, FLASHed with 4976.

Started to frag every once and a while then one day no boot just fraging, so I decided to remove the chip and do the MECHASSALT exploit (I've done many),  even with chip out xbox would frag.  so I couldn't do the exploit now it just frags.....

I've seen a few pictures of wire traces with differnet colors for the D0 and the LPC, does any one know the location these or post them please, as I'm going to redo the traces on the bottom... thanks in advance

THanks everyone for your contributions making xboxing so fun!!!!!!!

Joecool
Pages: 1 [2] 3