xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How To Fix Fcc/ffc Cables  (Read 18 times)

pgkool

• Archived User
How To Fix Fcc/ffc Cables
« on: August 02, 2003, 08:03:00 PM »

HOW TO FIX FCC/FFC CABLES...
well the first thing, a few explanations
1. the FCC(flat ?connector?cable) cable is really a FFC(Flat Flexible Cable) cable
2. the one supplied with the X2.0 Pro contains 20 "wires" and is about 230mm long. lable is "80c 60v VW-1(flamability wraper).
3. Most FFC cables break because of lack of users gentle touch wit the cable( and due to bad design a little). At the ends there are two blue plastic spacer to inshure that the cable sits in properly, at the end of that plastic where the wires continue to go, the cable tends to bend and crease at the joint. This bend and crease makes the thin copper wires to break(not too flexible is it). most plp have this problem. How to fix it...read below.

INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO FIX CABLE
1. supplies neded
           :a new or mint condition x-acto knife. Or at least a very sharp blade.
           :a simple testing multi meter
           :Sissors
           :some glue, prefrebly not elmers or glue stick as they run too much and dont hold too well. krazy/super glue.
           :BRIGHT LIGHT
           :ur cable and some PACTIENCE<<-CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH

2. First lets test if its ur cable that is truely broken. Taping ur cable to a sheet of paper helps keep it still. take ur mulimeter and touch one end to a side of the cable and the other end to the other side. tyr to aim for each wire and test all 20 of them. if they all work..keep searching the fourm for how to fix ur x2, but if u at least get 2-3 wires that dont "connect" then u can stop and be pretty shure ur cable is broken.

3. look carfully at the 2 places where the blue plastic ends (on the insides) but the wire continues to go. look under bright lights and see if u can tell that they are bent too much. check if the ends are too flappy but jsut wiglign them back and forth. if not shure u can repair both ends but do one at a time starting wit the one in worst condition.

4. Remove some of the silver tape around the white wire. it shoudl jsut peel off, only take off like 10 mm. look for somethin hard to tape the cable too and add tape about half an in under where the blue plastic ends. enough to scrape another set of traces. take ur sharp knife and carfully scrape away the white plastic ontop of the cable. it should take a while and u shouldnt get it on ur first try..or ur pressing too hard. there is a clear coat on top to scrape off then the white. scrape all 20 wires till u see either silver(nicely done) or copper (scraped little too much but still ok). scrape enough to get it about as long as the original.

5. now that the hard part is done, take a pair of sissors and cut a little but under the blue plastic (1 mm or so) to get the bad part out and to have the entire blue bard still useful.  now u have a blue peice with maybe  dangling wires, use ur knife to get as stright as possible so u only have a blue plastic with maybe traces on top.

6. use some super glue and glue the blue plastic back on to that end making shure the exposed contact are up and the blu plastic is on the back. this is needed as a spacer. dont put too much glue or ull make the spacer too high and make it hard to put back into the connector. try to get the end of the cable and the end of the blue plastic as straight as possible.

7. once this is done. test ur cable. do the other side if nesseccary. Yes u will loose like a inch of cable, but i really hope ur adapter isnt tat far. team excuter did give a little extra room to play with.

8. once ur done ur cable should work and this time handle with care. u dont have to puch the cable in hard. very gentle setteling of the cable in its connector should work. try not to bend the cable near the ends of the blue plastic anymore. put soem tape around it if u need too. (not coverign the contacts too much of course)

~SycoDaDrgN

NOTE: SRY FOR NO PICS. ALSO please give me credit where applicable, anyone can take and edit this if needed, im shure i have plenty of speeling mistakes..im prone to them.. jsut let me know and ill fix em if they annoy u. please give me ur opinions on this, its very simple and is my fist tut ever so hey gimme a break. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE.

Devil-Man

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 11:03:00 PM »

man i'll be the first to say that's an excellent tut!
get some pictures and e-mail that shit to xeero.

twospoons

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 09:15:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

gamingguru

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »

smile.gif

pgkool

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 11:46:00 AM »

thx guys for all ur comments, i dont have a cam but i can borrow one, so ill get pics if i ever open tat ish again, sry for posting late, i was bussy this week. well i fu do mess up u can go it again till ur cable is too short. But if u put the adapter in the xbxo next to the chip u can have the shortest cable ever but u cant use the adapter from outside. (u really dont need to after first flash, get FlashX from excuter) yeh u could buy a new one but $20, man tat lots for me, tats y i did this, so i dont have to buy one(NOT FLAMING, just input gamingguru). Yes twospoons u do end up cuttin a few traces, but u have to be VERY careful scraping. dont try to get it all off in one scrape, take ur time. i did sccape up some copper coating of some but it was jsut thick enough to work. also i didnt put another peace of fcc cable because i was afraid of haveing the contacts sort, but i guess it worked for u. GJ. THX alot all.