xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?  (Read 879 times)

Ubergeek

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2003, 05:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (splashrun @ Apr 20 2003, 01:55 AM)

pff.."down for maintanance". Not even an installation url in the box. Not one site mentioning the clips of the FCC-cable...

Xecutor forums, help, faq etc.  have been down for about at least two weeks now. I bought my (faulty I guess) xecutor2 at divineo, and they as well have their FAQ and installation-guides "down for maintanance".

And yes, I could flash mine once, it started two times correctly, after that, 3 boot-attempts and a flashing ejectbutton.

Do you have some hidden ectra info? for instance, what about the jumper on the executor2? The only info I could find was to "remove this jumper for newer revisions of the xbox". Luckily, I found someone in a newsgroup who said the jumper was for write-enabling the chip. After putting it back on, it worked shortly, as mentioned before. And I have a rev 1.1 mobo.

Don't assume the people who don't post got it right. I am posting now because you assumed this, otherwise I would just have frustratedly read other people who aren't being helped much (apart from "he is a newbie" nonsense).

rant over. sad.gif

the gotmod server is screwed sso we're moving it

and ALL our tutorials are on xbox-scene - which just happens to be the site you are on right now

yes including howw to connect a "STANDARD" FCC cable

here ill help you - heres one of the tutorials

http://www.xbox-scen...n_diagrams.html

Ubergeek

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2003, 05:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (splashrun @ Apr 20 2003, 02:09 AM)

blink.gif You say 25% of your mods were broken, and still blame not-working mods on people being newbies? Are you a newbie? If 70% of the people are newbies, and 25% of the chips are defective... A lot more newbies will post errors than experienced people.

Ubergeek could have been much more helpfull if he told us there are in fact broken chips, and how many, in stead of
1. saying there are forums and helpfiles ("down for maintanance")
2. saying he gave it up because stupid people still got it wrong.

If only experienced people bought mods, there really wouldn't be much of a market...I mean, the xbox is a consumer-thing, not a Sun Sparcstation...What did you expect?

Anyway, for other people with the blink-not able to flash problem: just return the mod, get another one. I haven't seen anybody posting problems with a replacement-mod...

1. Copies of all tutorials are xbox-scene.com
2. There's already simple to follow step by steep tutes. It's been dumbed down so much now that it embaressing do it any more - this is what I meant

And i did say there were faulty mods - approx half a percent. And they are all down to dry tracks easily repaired by most users in less than 60 seconds

The fact is you have either not soldered correctly or the PC setup is wrong. There is only a tiny chance the mod is faulty as they are all programmed before shipping installed into an xbox

ChrisF

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2003, 07:17:00 AM »

The way I look at it no one has the right to give Ubergeek any shit.  The product works for the vast majority of people.  The tutorials are fine (I would like to see Win XP settings included in the tutorials though) and the majority of people who post problems come back a day later with the "big solution" as something really basic and previously covered.  He's still on here posting suggestions and trying to help.

Few have had more issues than I have with installation and I'll tell you - I wish there was a "big solution" for me too but the bottom line is that most people who have issues simply aren't doing something basic correctly and it gets resolved.  For those of us who have reinstalled 3-4 times without luck, multimetered the world - well, we got problems that aren't in the tutorials.  I blame the hated FCC cable right now.

tuxbox

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2003, 11:02:00 AM »

wink.gif

I'm no rocket scientist, nor am I a solder genius, but i know how to read and troubleshoot.  I did alot of reading before installing my x2pro.  The turortials are great.  Like some of the peeps here, i didn't get it to flash the first few times.  So I did more research, used the SEARCH feature on the forums and found that my WIN XP LPT settings could be the culprit....and it was.  I used the cable that came with my ZIP drive to flash my chip.  It was short and built like a tank.  Yes, the FCC cable is flimsy, but it does work.  I've folded and pinched that thing so many times to get it to route properly out of the xbox that I was afraid some traces were broken, but it's been tough so far.  There maybe a bad batch of x2pros out there - anything is possible, but I'm more inclined to think it's installation and LPT settings.  Just my 2 cents.  Good Luck.

beerchug.gif

dotKAMbot

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2003, 08:44:00 PM »

I think you have to be very careful with the FCC... I popped my chip off after getting it to flash to do some sh@t, and when I went to flash again, it didn't work.  I then pulled out the FCC cable and put it back in to get it to work again.  It is very touchy, and you have to make sure it is in there good.

If you don't know already, the clips pull out towards where the cable goes in.  I recommend pulling the clips out, and sliding the FCC in all the way, and then closing the clips on them nice and tight.

dKb

jsprag

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2003, 11:20:00 AM »

I was having all the same problems that are described here.  I had checked my FCC cable, my soldering, dip switch settings, and the parallel port settings.  All were fine but was still having problems.  My chip was from extreme-mods also.

On a whim, I decided to purchase and try a "IEEE 1284" compliant cable by Belkin.  Picked it up at Best Buy for $20.  It is shielded differently than a lower grade cable and is overall much beefier.  I hooked it up and everything went great.  Recognized it right away and flashed without any problem.  The cable was 6 feet.

Might be something to try out if nothing else is working.  Of course, if yours won't work even with the programmer plugged directly into the port this won't help you.

One other note - not all parallel cables are wired the same.  "Data Transfer" cables are wired similar to a ethernet crossover or a serial null modem cable.  Pin 2 on one end goes to pin 15 on the other end, for example.  What you want is a straight through cable with no crossover.  If your cable has two male ends, it is probably a data transfer cable.  Something to be aware of.  Take a multimeter and check to make sure that each pin on one connector connects to the matching pin on the other if you're in doubt.

gneitzke

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »

my mod chip did this too i spent hours (9) trying to get it to work... i took it all back out, flipped the fcc around (the end that was on the switchs went to the chip and the chip went to the switchs) and turned it on and it worked great :-/ i dunno but that helped me i had the 00 00 problem until i did that

mindjob

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2003, 02:43:00 PM »

Hi,
I was one of the original people at the beginning of this thread -- indeed, I received TWO bad Xecuter2-Pro's from Extreme Mods.  It took them a whole week, but they were able to send me two replacements, which I plugged right in and worked perfect.  I agree that a lot of people don't know what they are doing (call them a newbie, whatever), but if you tested out everything with a multimeter, and you are getting erratic behaviour from your chip, send it back!  Originally, I got 2 chips... well both turned out bad, and this is my first attempt at modifying an Xbox.  If you've double checked everything, don't listen to the people on these forums that might discourage you, or call you a newbie.  Send it back and get that shit tested... apparently there was a bad batch, although they still deny it.  Well did anyone ever think that the US is heavily scanning our mail system right now because of war?  I mean, Extreme Mods doesn't even package their chips in anti-static material, let alone protect it from magnetic devices and such.  The two-chip shipment from FedEX had the faulty chips; the two-chip shipment from USPS did not...

Just a little something to think about,

~MJ~

Fire

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2003, 03:56:00 PM »

i dont have a XP2... but my friend does.. and guess what.. he ordered off extreme-mod.. and guess what.... it aint work..... (he got it installed by a pro as well)

anyways good luck every1,...

it was amazing how many stuff ups there were!!..

dotKAMbot

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2003, 06:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (mindjob @ Apr 24 2003, 09:43 PM)
Hi,
I was one of the original people at the beginning of this thread -- indeed, I received TWO bad Xecuter2-Pro's from Extreme Mods.  It took them a whole week, but they were able to send me two replacements, which I plugged right in and worked perfect.  I agree that a lot of people don't know what they are doing (call them a newbie, whatever), but if you tested out everything with a multimeter, and you are getting erratic behaviour from your chip, send it back!  Originally, I got 2 chips... well both turned out bad, and this is my first attempt at modifying an Xbox.  If you've double checked everything, don't listen to the people on these forums that might discourage you, or call you a newbie.  Send it back and get that shit tested... apparently there was a bad batch, although they still deny it.  Well did anyone ever think that the US is heavily scanning our mail system right now because of war?  I mean, Extreme Mods doesn't even package their chips in anti-static material, let alone protect it from magnetic devices and such.  The two-chip shipment from FedEX had the faulty chips; the two-chip shipment from USPS did not...

Just a little something to think about,

~MJ~

just a few questions... did they test the chips and tell you that the chips were bad, or just send you new ones?  Also, did they send you a new programmer, cable and everything, or just the chip?

Interesting what you say about the mail vs fed ex, but I am not sure I believe that is the culprit.

dKb

wtaag

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2003, 11:33:00 PM »

I have installed many X2 Pros from extreme mods and everyone one of them have worked flawlessly.

ChrisF

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2003, 07:10:00 AM »

QUOTE (FIREitUP @ Apr 25 2003, 06:53 AM)
they say they test it but with all teh shit ive been hearing about extreme mods, thats just a cover up so ... So do yourself a favor and choose a diferent reseller

Extreme Mods has been nothing but cooperative.  Their service is excellent as is their communication.  Look at all the people on here that suddenly got their's to work after finding the problem.  That being said, I still have a no x2pro error and have tried everything including full multimeter etc (3 pin installs and 1 wired).  Guess what?  I emailed them with all the steps I had taken and they asked that I return the chip and fcc cable.  Excellent service is worth a lot to me.

Websteria

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

Just some good news. I installed my X2 last weekend, even used the hard D0 point... and I'm not a great solderer. Had some troubles getting it to flash till I connected the paralell port directly to the back of the computer. Then it worked fine! :-D

Extreme-Mods.com rocks.

FritzTHEFUNK

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2003, 09:34:00 AM »

I came to this thread a few days ago when I was having problems flashing my newly installed X2Pro. (from Gamebuy.com). I knew my chip was installed right (haha), but I just couldnt get the damn thing to flash.

I wasnt able to flash it unless I plugged the LPT extension directly to my computer. So I had to take off the threads on the LPT port so there was room for the cable to stick on (this was threaded to have a cable between the two connections obviously, I wanted to directly plug it in)
I think I also changed the XPBM connection address to 2h** (whatever the bottom setting is)

After the direct 3 inch connect, it worked fine, flashed like a motha, and i'm on my way.  

props to xboxscene, i've learned so much here.

mindjob

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »

QUOTE (dotKAMbot @ Apr 25 2003, 03:52 AM)
just a few questions... did they test the chips and tell you that the chips were bad, or just send you new ones?  Also, did they send you a new programmer, cable and everything, or just the chip?

Interesting what you say about the mail vs fed ex, but I am not sure I believe that is the culprit.

dKb

dKb, I kept the original LPC wire harnesses, programmers, and FCC cables; I just sent back the chips.  And they didn't confirm that they actually tested the chips, just sent two new ones (just the chips, no install hardware).  I don't think they have to explain that the other ones were bad chips; obviously they were.

~MJ~
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8