xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?  (Read 872 times)

ChrisF

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (mindjob @ Apr 27 2003, 06:26 AM)
dKb, I kept the original LPC wire harnesses, programmers, and FCC cables; I just sent back the chips.  And they didn't confirm that they actually tested the chips, just sent two new ones (just the chips, no install hardware).  I don't think they have to explain that the other ones were bad chips; obviously they were.

~MJ~

Thanks for posting this.  I just sent back the X2Pro and FCC cable on Friday after 2 weeks.  I did everything many times over and more (just read my posts on this board and this thread).  I hope that the replacement works correctly the first time.  With all of the soldering and unsoldering (I reinstalled the pin header 3 times and finally did wired) I'm hoping I didn't actually hurt anything.  You must be pumped to have it up and running after all those headaches.

chris67rs

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2003, 05:37:00 AM »

muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif  muhaha.gif

dotKAMbot

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2003, 11:06:00 PM »

QUOTE (mindjob @ Apr 27 2003, 05:26 AM)
QUOTE (dotKAMbot @ Apr 25 2003, 03:52 AM)
just a few questions... did they test the chips and tell you that the chips were bad, or just send you new ones?  Also, did they send you a new programmer, cable and everything, or just the chip?

Interesting what you say about the mail vs fed ex, but I am not sure I believe that is the culprit.

dKb

dKb, I kept the original LPC wire harnesses, programmers, and FCC cables; I just sent back the chips.  And they didn't confirm that they actually tested the chips, just sent two new ones (just the chips, no install hardware).  I don't think they have to explain that the other ones were bad chips; obviously they were.

~MJ~

well, if you kept the same LPC, ground, d0, FCC cable, programmer, and only replaced the chip and you also used the same LPT settings, computer and parallel cable, it must have been the chips.  Most commas in a sentence EVER.

hehe... glad to hear you got it working.

about the mail vs FedEX thingy.  I know that in NYC (where I live) they did start scanning everything from FedEX and other parcel services about 3 months ago.  I am not sure what the effect would be on a modchip, and I really don't know that they are doing it in other areas.  Do you live in this area?  I have recieved around 15 chips, all from canada, via canada post/priority mail in the last month, and none of them have had problems.

@ubergeek:  Do you know if any kind of x-ray scanning would have some effect on mod chips?  I don't believe it would, since I know it doesn't hurt laptops/pdas from flying with equipment.  I am sure the government would hear it too, because all kinds of sh@t would be getting destroyed coming in and out of NYC.  Are you still holding strong that there are virtually no bad X2pros coming back?

peace,

dKb

itsluch

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2003, 07:23:00 PM »

I bought an excuter pro and soldered it since I had a xbox with lpc holes filled with soldered. The chip would frag so I knew my first time soldering worked but when came to flash I got the dreaded "no executer pro found" so rechecked everything again still got message. So I thought it was the cable, ordered one from extreme-mod chips then I figured I order another pro chip. I got the cable connected checked with bios on the pc and still got the message. Checked the fcc cable got continuity, checked solder again, checked the programmer and then switched to my second printer port still got message. I said what the hell I switched chips with the new I ordered and BAM it got recongized and flashed flawlessly. Again I switched to the first chip and I got the message again so it was the chip that was bad. Now I have to return for another chip hopefully that comes to me good. It just sucks that there is no other way to see if the chip is bad. People constantly thinking they did a bad job on the soldering when in fact it could be the chip. I ordered my chip in second week of April when the rumour of bad chips was out, so maybe there was a possability of bad chips it seems now that less people are having problems with their chips after they ordered theirs after a certain date. Just my opinon and observations.

RadiatedAnt

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2003, 08:47:00 AM »

wink.gif I ordered a chip also recently, It turned out to be bunk, Im waiting for my new chip they sent as I write. It should be here today or tommarow

Ubergeek

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2003, 09:04:00 AM »

Just so you know i've been keeping an eye on this

A total of 236 Pros / Lites were sent back to the factory by retailers over the last 4 weeks

11 were actually faulty

As you can see a remarkable ratio between percepted faults and actual faulty product

Glad to hear that most of you have been fixed up.

Ubergeek

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2003, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE (dotKAMbot @ Apr 30 2003, 08:06 AM)
@ubergeek:  Do you know if any kind of x-ray scanning would have some effect on mod chips?  I don't believe it would, since I know it doesn't hurt laptops/pdas from flying with equipment.  I am sure the government would hear it too, because all kinds of sh@t would be getting destroyed coming in and out of NYC.  Are you still holding strong that there are virtually no bad X2pros coming back?

peace,

dKb

Well ALL the chips are shipped to retailers via FedEx / DHL / UPS type freight and have the same restrictions thru customs

However they are ALL packaged in Anti-Static protection

I do encourage the retailers to do the same - it would be interesting if you guys who had issues to note if you had protective anti-static packaging or not

Its a good observation dotKAMbot

Neeero

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2003, 12:54:00 PM »

Ordered mine the 24th, got it yesterday (30th).  I installed everything, was able to flash and verify the bios with 4976.02 multiver 256k, but with the 4th switch on boot i get a couple mild beeps, no picture, and a red/green flashing power light.  I'm still not 100% sure that my install was perfect though.

ChrisF

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2003, 01:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (qhplar @ May 1 2003, 06:23 PM)
I just got a X2 Pro yesterday with this issue, X2BM doesn't see the chip. I know it's installed correct! I'm sending it back hopefully they will send me a good one.

Just to be fair - there are hundreds of people on these boards who post about a bad chip and then figure out what they were doing wrong.  If you don't have significant exerpience installing mods and working with electronics I would read this entire post again as well as the "no x2pro found" post in the teamxecuter forums (x2pro forum).  There's a ton of info there including parallel port setting info which can be somewhat tricky.  I worked for 20+ hours over 10 days (3 pinheader installs, 1 wired, full multimetering) before I gave up and sent it back along with the FCC cable.  Don't be in a big hurry to send it off unless you've done a lot of these before.  Most of the 'real' problem chips (so it seems) were ordered right around the same time and that was weeks ago.

Does anyone know if the newer X2Pros have Cromwell on them now?  That would be a nice alternative.

chris67rs

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2003, 06:49:00 AM »

You can use OzXflash on the lite or the pro with the Cromwell 1.8 bios preflashed on it. it works fine. I have reflashed a pro with this bios on it and it worked fine. Afterwords I just used the Slayers2.1 Iso and reflashed it through Evox.

upup

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »

hello,
ok heres my problem, i ordered myself a x2pro mod and installed and worked perfect first time. now i have ordered one for one of my good friends (ordered on may 2nd and receved may 8th). i installed and it works correctly; all switched down boots ms dash, and switch 4 on, boots linux. well i connect my 10 ft cable to the programer to program the chip and it does not detect the chip, so i took my chip out of my xbox and put it in my friends xbox and it boots so i know my sodering is ok but it still would not detect the mod chip. then i put my buds chip back in his xbox and it will not detect it, so i switched my programer with his and it detects it. so i programed his chip and it works.then i put my programer back on my xbox and his on his and it would not detect the mod chip on my buds xbox so does my bud have a bad programer? but the dip switches work though.

pineapples10

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2003, 07:00:00 PM »

anyone who previously thought they had a bad chip solve their problems?

Widowmaker

• Archived User
Bad Batch Of X2 Pros?
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2003, 11:29:00 PM »

Everyone with flash problems on X2 Pro please check my post in the Modchip installation questions / problems title. I solved my 0 - 0 device and successfully flashed with 6 foot cable after 8 hours of pain.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]