xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ben Jeremy Installs An Xecutor 2  (Read 110 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Ben Jeremy Installs An Xecutor 2
« on: February 10, 2003, 08:34:00 PM »

OK, here's my experience, and I'll wind it up with a comparison to my Matrix experience....

Upon getting the standard package for a Lite AND a Pro, I decided I would mount mine using the tried-and-true wire harness method.

A friend had attempted to desolder the holes in the LPC and mount the socket header for a Lite, only to find his system would no longer boot (must have lifted a trace somehow, but we never found it).

Opening up my system, which already had a massively wired homebrew (30 wires, yay!), my plan was to mount the harness, then test the boot before removing the socketed homebrew chip. As I had mounted my link wire using the socket, instead of directly linking them on the motherboard, removal of the homebrew would be a snap, and I would NOT be removing my motherboard to do the install.

Shoving the wires out of the way, I went to work. From start to finish, took a bit longer than it normally should have (I'm a bit ailing at the moment, and I was a bit shaky with my Weller P90 and .3mm tip), but from start to finish, it took about 20 minutes. The wires were pre-tinned, except for the D0 wire, which I tinned. Using a toothpick, I dabbed flux paste on the points I was going to solder to, and also touched some to the wire leads. This made the work a snap (ALWAYS use flux!!) I lost one wire during the install, re-soldered, plugged the drives in temporarily and went to boot up....

My original homebrew still booted fine, as expected.

Now I removed the drives, removed the socketed homebrew flash chip and the link wire (which was stuffed into the socket leg with the chip). Since I had the luxury of both a lite and a pro, I plugged the lite into the unit (though that one will go into my other unit soon). Again temporarily putting the drives back in, I booted this unit up - there was the Xecutor2 logo and Evo-X dashboard.

So far, so good.

Heading back to the table, I removed the X2L, only to bump another wire. Resoldering the wire, and plugging together the Pro, I didn't bother with the drives this time. I ran my extra power and A/V cable into the unit by my PC, with a 5ft 25-pin cable and powered on (no need to hook the A/V cable to anything). As expected, I got the flashing LED. As I had forgot to check the 25-pin cable's connection to the PC, I had a moment of confusion.... likewise, I had to reboot the PC and change my EPP mode from 1.7 to 1.9 (the mfg ID came up OK, but it didn't program).

Finally, with the PC configured correctly, the Pro was programming with a 1MB bin I had prepared using the XBox BIOS manager 1.0 tool.

After SUCCESSFULLY programming throught he 5ft cable, I powered down the Xbox, disconnected, and remounted the drives.

Time to check the results....

Success. I was able to boot the Debug BIOS (clock setting came up), as well as the original 4974 BIOS and a variant. The dashboard ran, and as I began this thread, I fired up MXM.

Of course, as far as features goes, it beats the Matrix hands down.... I can program this externally without disconnecting anything. I have 1MB of memory, and can run the Debug BIOS, as well as future 512k or even 1MB BIOSes.

As for installation, well, as I had installed my Matrix on a v1.1 Xbox, it actually took LONGER, due to a lack of information at the time regarding the issues of the alignment mode (though had I realized there was a problem sooner, I might have done my research earlier and figured it out sooner).

Digging out my equipment to install is a bit of a pain in the ass, but I can also rest easy that the installation will never slip (that hasn't happened on the Matrix, yet, either, though).

Overall, the additional value of the larger BIOS and multi-BIOS capability is worth the extra trouble to install, but even the soldering was a snap. If I were to install the other one right now, it would probably only take me 5 minutes to solder it in.

I give this a big thumbs up, but I cannot re-iterate enough that you should REALLY research and browse the Xecutor forums before doing the install, or even pay a bit and get a pro to do it, if you feel at ALL uncomfortable with a soldering iron. It will save you a lot of trouble.

When using a socket header or pogopins adapter, please make sure you correctly orient the chip! Plugging it in the wrong way WILL result in damage. All the information is available on Xecutor's forums.

Now I can look into using the debug BIOS for working on the homebrew software for the Xbox!!

A big thanks and kudos to Team Xecutor, this is a great product, both in Lite and Pro form.

Colonel32

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »

ben jeremy u rock ! best mod on the site  no drama posts and everything is informitive.. thanks ... and mxm rocks i hope to use at as my dash one day  :D  :beer:  

Cr4z33

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 12:23:00 AM »

Err... I'm getting some difficulties translating into my language the word "flux". :o
What kind of solder is it? Is it creamy, gelly, solid or what?
Can you post a pic somewhere so that I can finally understand what it is? :lol:

kiwimonk

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 02:46:00 AM »

I assume your question about flux is real, so here it goes :)
Flux is that stuff you slap all over your wires so the solder actually clings to it.

I personally can't solder all too well without it, so go grab some at Radio Shack!!

for mod jobs on small contacts i would recommend you not use too much since the solder will flow over the flux,
and when flux gets heated it turns into liquid.. too much flux could cause 2 contacts to be shorted .. This is mainly for soldering ICs though (like on PS2 (gulp))
:beer:  

froescheD

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 02:51:00 AM »

Oh my good! Reading this post I realized what damn newbie I still am!  :o  

Cr4z33

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2003, 02:58:00 AM »

Yes, the question was real 'cause I could not find a place where to translate this word.
I think I understood what it is. Looks like a kind of greas and is used to solder more precisely. :)

ramzez

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 06:44:00 AM »

I have the understanding that there are tins that include flux. Am I right?

Wong Hung Lo

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 07:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (ramzez @ Feb 11 2003, 10:08 AM)
I have the understanding that there are tins that include flux. Am I right?

Yes. But you still need to use flux.  

Frank (the spank)

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 07:50:00 AM »

flux? flux capacitor?

I didn't see a flux capacitor when I opened my Xbox....

(IMG:http://www.showtech.com/theme_parks/back_to_the_future/images/flux_capacitor.jpg)

Maybe thats why my Xbox blew up...

nufan

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2003, 09:44:00 AM »

yep great story, and it is a great product, couldnt be happier with my x2 lite :D now i just wanna get in the know how about flashing it :P

kaioshade

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2003, 09:52:00 AM »

yea, i swear by flux. half of my installs wouldnt have happenned if i hadnt used flux. that stuff is great.  

finchline

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2003, 11:40:00 AM »

hmmm...im gonna have to try this flux stuff, in my hundreds of soldering jobs, ive never used flux, it doesnt seem hard to do without it, but i think i will try it next time.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2003, 11:47:00 AM »

QUOTE (finchline @ Feb 11 2003, 03:04 PM)
hmmm...im gonna have to try this flux stuff, in my hundreds of soldering jobs, ive never used flux, it doesnt seem hard to do without it, but i think i will try it next time.

Me too... but flux makes things much easier.

It burns off the layer of varnish and Solder flows to it. Dipping wire ends in flux can be used to 'zap' the insulation with a quick touch of the iron.

Non-flux solder jobs are usually blobby and rife with cold-solder joints.

a_c

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2003, 12:39:00 PM »

BenJeremy, that was a GRATE post lots of info! Its been a while since i read a post this good :D
Keep them coming  :jester:  

mattboy2

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2003, 04:43:00 PM »

yes, nice..

flux is my daddy ;)