xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Type Of Soldering Iron Should I Use?  (Read 82 times)

thefly03

• Archived User
What Type Of Soldering Iron Should I Use?
« on: February 07, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »

I wouldn't suggest the Radio Shack one personally.  I bought the 8 buck one from there and ended up going to Fry's and purchasing one with a ceramic element in it instead.  It's a bit more expensive but is MUCH better.  Here's a link.

http://shop2.outpost...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

thefly03

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 08:23:00 AM »

It's true that you need to be careful, but it's virtually impossible to fuck up the mobo with a 15W iron unless you're a complete space cadet.  Just take it slow and you'll be fine.

bikehorn

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »

15 or 25 watts...one of those orange Wellers would be really cool but too expensive for me to be bothered.

thefly03

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

Wishing you luck man.  You'll be fine.  That sucks that Fry's didn't have one of the ceramic heating element ones.  It's really worth the money if you plan on doing any other mods that require soldering in my opinion.  Let us know how the install goes.

mb3k

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »

I'm about to install a V2 and an OPX chip but I only have the RadioShack dual wattage iron http://www.radioshac...a..._id=64-2055
Hopefully the tip isn't too fat (it worked well with LED mods and stuff, but I'm not sure about the small mod chips)
user posted image

M@X_STERLING

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »

Ok I have come to the conclusion after many tries my soldering skills just plain suck.  blink.gif  And sad to say I don't have a camera to take pics with lol. Oh well will have to wait until I get the patience to try again I guess or I find someone locally to help me solder it.  blink.gif

JustinT9669

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »

I used a Solderless Adapter

MrShadow

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(JustinT9669 @ Feb 9 2005, 03:08 AM)
I used a Solderless Adapter

spyman

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 12:46:00 AM »

ive got quite a few irons ranging in watts, but I deal with different systems, ie Slim PS2's, and different irons really help out.

For the xbox, a basic soldering iron should do the trick, so an $8 15w ratshack iron will work just as well.  For the xbox's I use my weller iron station smile.gif

spyman

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(mb3k @ Feb 8 2005, 07:48 PM)
I'm about to install a V2 and an OPX chip but I only have the RadioShack dual wattage iron http://www.radioshac...a..._id=64-2055

mb3k

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 02:29:00 AM »

Yup,
It worked fine.  I like it set on 30W because it seems to get the contacts heated faster.  Suprisingly it took me an hour and a half to install an OPX on my aunts Xbox because the solder just wouldn't stick and the board it pretty thick.  The front-most 2 points were hard to get at, as recent posts stated that the OPX chip is shaped ever so slightly too big.  It took two tries to get it working.

Today I did my V2 chip install with the 1.6C rebuild board, and it took only about 20 minutes! Worked on the first try too!

Advice on the new 1.6C rebuild board: Solder from D0in pad (on the 1.6c Recovery Board) to the D0 on the pin of the SmartXX chip
They don't seem to say this on any manuals, but this is correct if using a V1 or V2 chip.