xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why Is This Chip Not As Popular As The X's  (Read 234 times)

pROvIs

• Archived User
Why Is This Chip Not As Popular As The X's
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »

lets lay of ozxodus for now.   Wait a few weeks and see if they deliver or if their customers are left waiting again.

lookformeb

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 10:12:00 AM »

QUOTE (TSOPrano @ May 25 2004, 12:15 PM)
Anyways, both great chips but the Xenium outperforms the SmartXX...

In what way?

pROvIs

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (TSOPrano @ May 25 2004, 12:15 PM)
XOS 2.0 is sounding great. Full support for any network applications, full support of I/O, and I could go on forever but please, read this again http://www.xbox-scen...ZFyMecDjoTn.php for it shows that the Xenium is everything plus more than the SmartXX.

One thing I must say negatively about OzXodus is that they sure talk a lot.

Anyways, both great chips but the Xenium outperforms the SmartXX and costs less.

all i got to say is where is the download?? Have you seen these features?  nope, so lets wait till its out before we start saying that it "is everything plus more than the SmartXX."

evoxreloaded

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 02:11:00 PM »

ok first the xenium is a better chip for your buck... sure the XOS is delayed ALL THE TIME but what advantages does the smartxx have over the xenium?? 4mb flash space??? who the heck needs all that space for just playing backups and what not... lcd support?? xenium will have that in the next release... and i saw someone diss the bootup... complaining about ther stupid splash screen and how crappy it looks...??  DISABLE PEOPLE!!!!  anywho i guess its your preference.... some people like over-kill .. and some like perfection...

pROvIs

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (evoxreloaded @ May 25 2004, 05:11 PM)
ok first the xenium is a better chip for your buck... sure the XOS is delayed ALL THE TIME but what advantages does the smartxx have over the xenium?? 4mb flash space??? who the heck needs all that space for just playing backups and what not... lcd support?? xenium will have that in the next release... and i saw someone diss the bootup... complaining about ther stupid splash screen and how crappy it looks...??  DISABLE PEOPLE!!!!  anywho i guess its your preference.... some people like over-kill .. and some like perfection...

actually lcd support is not mentioned as one of features of xos 2.0 so... you might still be left waiting... if and when xos 2 ever comes out.  On top of that Xenium has yet to make a 1.6 solution.

evoxreloaded

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

like i said OVER-KILL .... PERFECTION.. im not saying the smartxx is a bad chip in anyway.... but the xenium is all the glory right now... (how many people own a ver1.6???)

as for lcd support ..ahh i dont need it... so fooi to that on both chips... its another USELESS feature such as the smartxx's 4mb flash...

and i dont recall ANYONES chips working on a 1.6... as far as video... they are all at the same place

pROvIs

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2004, 07:48:00 PM »

QUOTE (evoxreloaded @ May 25 2004, 08:45 PM)
like i said OVER-KILL .... PERFECTION.. im not saying the smartxx is a bad chip in anyway.... but the xenium is all the glory right now... (how many people own a ver1.6???)

as for lcd support ..ahh i dont need it... so fooi to that on both chips... its another USELESS feature such as the smartxx's 4mb flash...

and i dont recall ANYONES chips working on a 1.6... as far as video... they are all at the same place

SmartXX has video support for 1.6.  It is fully working on 1.6 boxes.

Price isnt really much of an issue as they only run about 5-10 dollars max price difference.

That 4 megs of space is very useful.  For instance i run,  three custom x2 bios' booting different dashboards configured for different things, i run m7 w/evox for a contained test environment,  that is 1.0 meg right there,  Then i run 512k x2 4978.03 for ftp server, Ed @ chip 2 meg.  That adds up to 3.5 megs right there and each one has a very useful purpose.

Bottom line is SmartXX has features that Xenium does not.  Now some of these things may be remedied in the next release but lets face it they have been saying that is comming out forever and no one has seen anything.  now that they announce their new os it doesnt even have some of the things they said should of been in the OS originally.  I am going to reserve all my judgment for when xos 2 comes out.  If they pull it off then you might have a bit of ground to stand on but as of now you dont.  All XOS 2 promises to do is bridge some of the gap between the two chips but why wait when there is already a product on the market that delivers?

SmartXX Features Xenium doesnt have:
4mb flash space (very useful for different dashes/bios configs.)
3.5 meg Usable Flash space (Xenium 1 meg)
ed @ Chip
Web Flashing
LCD support
extra linux options

lookformeb

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2004, 09:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (evoxreloaded @ May 25 2004, 08:45 PM)

The flash space is an over-kill compared to what?  Perhaps you are uninformed that the new Xenium OS will have the ability to boot a BIOS from the HDD.  If 4MB is an overkill to you, I wonder what you think xGB is...

Your opinions of the graphics of the SmartXX are just that, opinions.

You don't need the LCD... well, no one needs a LCD.  But if we are going to talk about that, then the trust is that until a 1.6 hit the market, the only thing anyone needed was a cheapmod.

You don't recall anyone's chip working on a 1.6 ... well, Provis made the point that the SmartXX does indeed work on a 1.6.  Read the prior news articles on the X-S homepage.

frank10

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2004, 06:46:00 AM »

The smartxx feature that allows you to remotely flash your xbox is its biggest advantage.  Even if xenium's OS 2.0 has network support, it still will not allow you to remotely flash your xbox.

I would like someone to point out a single advantage that the xenium has over the smartxx. (vaporware excluded).

evoxreloaded

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2004, 08:00:00 AM »

If 4MB is an overkill to you, I wonder what you think xGB is...

intersting point Lookformeb..  biggrin.gif  i think i get more in depth using of the two chips (if ozzy ever releases xos2 blink.gif ) and see what cooks up  beerchug.gif

KingViper

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »

There is also the fact that when you buy a Xenium you have a chance of getting a clone, but since there aren't any clones of the SmartXX, you have nothing to worry about.  You know you are getting the real thing.  Though this may be a small advantage, its another one to add to the list.

KingViper

evoxreloaded

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »

clones can work if you have the right technical background... as for the rest it has been confirmed that NO bios is fully functional on a 1.6...

KingViper

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »

jester.gif ) it also has a large bios, lan flashing, linux extras, memory testing, ed @ chip, and LCD support.  So, to get it down good, that is perfection + 6, we'll even take one off cuz it costs a little bit more (even though you are guarunteed to get an original and not some clone).

So, unofficially, the SmartXX is PERFECTION + 5.

biggrin.gif

KingViper

Da Termin8ter

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

Shut up Smartxx is crap ,Xenium Better

evoxreloaded

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »

indeed the x3 will tromp all....