xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why Is This Chip Not As Popular As The X's  (Read 233 times)

BlazeYaDead

• Archived User
Why Is This Chip Not As Popular As The X's
« on: May 18, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »

Ok I have decided to mod the xbox soon and need a chip.  I was going to get the x2.3 or probably wait for the x3, but saw this chip compared to the x3 and it just seems like THIS chip blows the x3 away.  So my question is why are the 2.3s still soo popular?  What will the x3 be able to do that this chip wont?  I just want somthing that will let me save my games to the hard drive, do some halo mods, maybe browse the web (if thats a good idea with the xbox), run linux, run all the popular programs like an xbox media player... the basics.  This chip is great for that right?  I want somthing easy and simple too.  The fact that you can flash the chip from the LAN is great.  Im not the best with computers.  I have read over 100 tutorials on EVERYTHING over the last month or so and think I can handle getting a xecuter up and working fine, but this one just seems so much more user friendly.  I just dont get why this isnt the most popular chip.  Do you?  Thanks a lot.

Oh and another thing.  I play on xbox live all the time.  This chip also has some great protection on not letting you get on live with the chip on right?  Just one more thing that the others dont do so well.

pROvIs

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 06:42:00 PM »

ok first off No chip allows you to play on Xbox live with backups.  You need to boot original bios for this and original bios does not allow you to play backups

Second, the X's have been around longer and they dominated some of the previous generation of chips thus they remain very popular.  They still are kind of a base line chip and work well.  However, you are right the Smartxx has a lot more features than the x2s (the x3 we do not know until it comes out).  Now to do the things you want pretty much any chip will due so it just depends on how many bells and whistles you want.  

Main Advantages of SmartXX
LCD Screen can be added on
LAN Flashing
4mb flash space (3.5 Usable)
Easier to set up for Noobs as it has Ed @ Chip and LAN flashing

Cons
Price

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 07:54:00 PM »

i believe its because of lack of good US distributers.. thats the ONLY advantage xenium has over the smartxx smile.gif

BlazeYaDead

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 02:52:00 AM »

OK thanks.  I know you cant go online with backups or the modchip on.  I just meant that I think this chip stops you from connecting to live accidently.  I think I will get this chip.  It might not have as many features as the x3 might have, but I probably wont even use those.  This one seems to do everything I need the simplest out of them.

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:49:00 AM »

its not the chip tha tprevents you from connecting to live when its on.. its the bios..

Xecuter 2 4980 and up have the xbox live disabling patches

LepPpeR

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 05:52:00 AM »

I think also the problem was that Xenium came out first, grabbed the market and the SmartXX has had little plublicity.

death_driver_911

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »

I think also the problem was that Xenium came out first, grabbed the market and the SmartXX has had little plublicity.

this is just like the ps2 and xbox. the ps2 came out first so after everyone spent their money and was satasfied they thought nothing better would come out....

but they were wrong muhaha.gif

BlazeYaDead

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 04:13:00 PM »

OK you guys convinced me.  Now its time to work on my sodering skills... A LOT! and then buy the chip.  Thanks a lot.

KingViper

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »

I installed a Xenium for someone once, and I hated it.  Their xbox had the focus chip, so it didn't work right away, then once I did get it going, it makes you press a key before you even get to the SOS, which wasn't even that full of options.  I think the Xenium looks cheap when its booting up too, just a screen of the chip and a controller.  Anyhow, I know that the SmartXX is basically install and go.  THere is no hassle with Focus or Conexant video encoders, and I dont have to burn CDs.

KingViper

pROvIs

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 09:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (KingViper @ May 20 2004, 12:53 AM)
...and I dont have to burn CDs.

KingViper

amen

kamu1

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 08:48:00 AM »

Hehe, I have a SmartXX coming in that I had overnighted, should be here any min. Anyways, I was kinda stressing over weather or not I picked the chip that would be right for me. I had read all the reviews and the tut's and really found that the SmartXX seemed like the way to go. I am very new to the scene and was kinda overwhelmed with all the other chips and there propaganda. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted in this tread for helping me to keep the knowledge that I did make the right choice with my chip. Late.

OpusDei

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (BlazeYaDead @ May 19 2004, 02:43 AM)
but saw this chip compared to the x3 and it just seems like THIS chip blows the x3 away.

are you absolutley insane ?

lookformeb

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 08:53:00 AM »

QUOTE (LepPpeR @ May 19 2004, 08:52 AM)

I agree completely with that.  The market is completely different between the two chips.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »

laugh.gif

I was on the fence for a while trying to figure out which of the two is better and after looking over everything with a fine tooth comb I'd have to say the smartXX is leaps and bounds superior to the Xenium save 3 aspects:

1. it costs more
2. it uses a parallel interface rather than an spi interface (good for LCDs bad for just about any other kind of expandability)
3. it's made in germany so well translated support can be difficult at times.

the only real reason the Xenium is more popular IMO is is because the Xenium people spend 80% of their time hyping it up and batteling clones and not nearly enough time actually making usefull developments. did you see their latest laundry list... sure they have some cool features lined up like samba support but 2 of the most saught after features that people wanted the STILL failed in include: LCD support and flash via ftp  rolleyes.gif

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 11:18:00 AM »

heh look at XOS 2.0.. it was sopousted to be revolutionary....

wheres the revolution?! USB thumb drive support?! YEA i been waiting for that since the fucking xbox came out!

pffft give mea break
Pages: [1] 2 3