xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Nice Idea About The Web Bios Flash Utility  (Read 99 times)

wd-40

• Archived User
Nice Idea About The Web Bios Flash Utility
« on: February 16, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »

Looks like you found our chat on the irc beneficial...  I'm glad to see it and I hope it's working.

Are you hosting alternative bios's to flash?  Will you be able to customize the bios and build it as you go or are they set defaults?  If it's not too late (never is) it would be nice to see configuration choice scripts and have it build the bios you design.  Might also be helpful to have basic/advance so, newbies can change colors and other values like %fan and dashloads.  Just an idea...

also have option for user to provide own in 256 version and allow them to customize their own as well.

[edited]  I saw the post about fan control removed from os.  I can see where your conclusion was to remove it.  By adding the above if not already implented.  That would kill the need for that os menu function.  Could also have useraccounts and have saved profiles and user can select like up to 3 or 5 profiles or something and select the one he's currently using and just change the %fan speed up or down and click "live via flash" or something.  You know this isn't exactly how but, I'm sure you get the suggestions I'm boiling over.

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »

Looks like you found our chat on the irc beneficial... I'm glad to see it and I hope it's working.

lol, that was a feature all along, even though it wasn't shown.  I knew about this the first day the chip was announced.  Also, look at the first screenshots shown, in the bottom right hand corner.  No one could guess what you would need an IP for?  wink.gif

wd-40

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (heinrich @ Feb 17 2004, 01:04 AM)
Looks like you found our chat on the irc beneficial... I'm glad to see it and I hope it's working.

lol, that was a feature all along, even though it wasn't shown.  I knew about this the first day the chip was announced.  Also, look at the first screenshots shown, in the bottom right hand corner.  No one could guess what you would need an IP for?  wink.gif

Wouldn't be too hard to work the weeds out of system link networking.  Are you following this one or am I missing something?  I'm brainstorming a virtual server but...  

Let me ask you this first.  I think I just came up with something but..  Does the SmartXX have it's own mac/ip address by any chance?  May sound like a dumb question to some people but, there's a point to it.

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »

Let me ask you this first. I think I just came up with something but.. Does the SmartXX have it's own mac/ip address by any chance?

The mac address is stored in the EEPROM, and of course it has an IP... while it is running.  When it tells the chip to load a bios, the 'OS' is no longer running.  Its not going to be something 'in the background'.

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 03:53:00 PM »

yea just in case i was in germany and my xbox was in the states and i really wanted to make sure i was running that new bios even when i wasten there  rolleyes.gif

wd-40

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 03:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (heinrich @ Feb 17 2004, 01:36 AM)
Let me ask you this first. I think I just came up with something but.. Does the SmartXX have it's own mac/ip address by any chance?

The mac address is stored in the EEPROM, and of course it has an IP... while it is running.  When it tells the chip to load a bios, the 'OS' is no longer running.  Its not going to be something 'in the background'.

Needing both the xbox ip and modchip ip to be active and seen.  need to be able to set controller chip (modchip) ip configuration as well.  this available?

wd-40

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 04:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (SniperKilla @ Feb 17 2004, 01:53 AM)
yea just in case i was in germany and my xbox was in the states and i really wanted to make sure i was running that new bios even when i wasten there  rolleyes.gif

Be nice to actually have a portable xbox...

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 05:02:00 PM »

Are you hosting alternative bios's to flash?

Host what? where?  I can only assume you are talking about 'scene' bios releases, and why would they need to do that?  The "Flashable via LAN" obviously means you click a little "browse" button on a form, select a bios, and click "Flash", which uploads the bios, and flashes it.  It doesnt download a bios for you....

wd-40

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »

hmm..  maybe I am confused on actual stats of this then.  I'm referring to a http server.  Not where they would host such bios's except legal ones of course.  Also refered to user importing own and having utility to edit the bios online such like xbtool and xbcolor mod, with even more versatile of course.

Otherwise just being able to flash via network cable hooked to your pc.  That's sorta 80's isn't it?

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

QUOTE (wd-40 @ Feb 17 2004, 01:19 AM)
yea just in case i was in germany and my xbox was in the states and i really wanted to make sure i was running that new bios even when i wasten there  rolleyes.gif

my xbox is portable without a chip that has a web interface for bios flashing lol

wd-40

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »

QUOTE (cool_guy @ Feb 17 2004, 02:32 AM)
QUOTE (wd-40 @ Feb 17 2004, 01:56 AM)
QUOTE (heinrich @ Feb 17 2004, 01:36 AM)

Needing both the xbox ip and modchip ip to be active and seen.  need to be able to set controller chip (modchip) ip configuration as well.  this available?

What are you talking about?  The OS is only running when nothing else is.  You were told twice that it is not running all the time.  You can't be playing halo and decide to connect to your modchip over a network and flash the bios.  I don't see what it so hard to understand about that.

This is the same for anything on the xbox, you don't have evox running in the background of your games, the XeniumOS doesnt allow you do this, and neither with the x3 bios with its embedded .xbe (just like the 4978 bios, the .xbe runs, nothing else is, as soon as you launch something else, the process STOPS).  There is no TCP/IP stack in a retail bios, there is no way to do what you are suggesting, especially since I haven't heard one bit about how the smartxx guys are going to release a modbios.

So what is the point of flashing over the network you ask?  So you don't have to burn a cd, thats it.  If your xbox is already modded, with evox installed, you can obviously FTP your bios to hard drive and flash from there, but when you first get the chip, you dont have to burn a bios cd!  Now if only this http server allowed you to access the hard drive as well, that would be one usefull feature.

But it seems that you might have thought of that before, maybe you should work on your own chip?

Im too stupid to work on anything mister cool guy...  I know someone who is working on hacked xbox live though (it works 145hrs and counting).  Just got to find another way of doing things without running multiple...  He'll figure something out I'm sure.  Might have to use a second xbox or pc or something worst case I believe til something get's figured out in coding or soldering on additional chip for xbox live.

wd-40

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 11:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (SniperKilla @ Feb 17 2004, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (wd-40 @ Feb 17 2004, 01:19 AM)
yea just in case i was in germany and my xbox was in the states and i really wanted to make sure i was running that new bios even when i wasten thereĀ  rolleyes.gif

my xbox is portable without a chip that has a web interface for bios flashing lol

running linux?  That linux windows would probably be the best one to put on it.  Forgot the exact name of it but, one that supports winx program support.  Beats having large hd support and multiboot login.   I got tired of having network cables flying throughout my apartment everywhere.  Looked like some 80's sci fi movie here with everything.

The only thing I still can't get working right and maybe you can help throw me the right way of this.  I still need to load Flight Sim 2004 on the baby but, I havn't really spent much more than 15 mins looking around to get things done.  PM me if you have to about such...

Hey...  i beat your ass on pgr2.. hehe..  you beat me like 7 times tho..

lates.. 1st time on there tho. so not too bad.

cool_guy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 12:36:00 PM »

Great, and just so you know, others have already done it.  But I am sure that I will see you see post that was YOUR IDEA to hack xbox live when/if a modbios is released to allow you to do this.  I don't remember who it was who said it, but I will quote them anyway...
Xbox Live! has already been hacked.. just no one has written a tutorial yet.

But good luck, and where the fuck are you going with this thread?  Do you just babble on for the hell of it?  Flight Sim 2004? WTF?  Make your damn point for christ sakes.  There is a forum for useless babbling, its called General Chat.

wd-40

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 12:19:00 AM »

QUOTE (cool_guy @ Feb 17 2004, 10:36 PM)
Great, and just so you know, others have already done it.  But I am sure that I will see you see post that was YOUR IDEA to hack xbox live when/if a modbios is released to allow you to do this.  I don't remember who it was who said it, but I will quote them anyway...
Xbox Live! has already been hacked.. just no one has written a tutorial yet.

But good luck, and where the fuck are you going with this thread?  Do you just babble on for the hell of it?  Flight Sim 2004? WTF?  Make your damn point for christ sakes.  There is a forum for useless babbling, its called General Chat.

Hehe... Anywhoot!  No.  Didn't mean to babble on.  Just asked some questions but, you seem to be the only one being a prick. smile.gif  Have a good one though Cool Guy!