xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Help On Led Lighting!  (Read 23 times)

AlienationECX

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« on: December 18, 2003, 04:11:00 PM »

So i have all of my LED's in place im ready to connect them to the power source, pretty easy right? well i have 1 huge problem and i searched the fourms for a while trying to find the solution. my problem is i cant find the internal power source. i need to find the 12v or lower internal power source. can anyone help with that? i would greatly appriciate it.

animex2

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 04:15:00 PM »

Splice into the molex wire, the red is 5 v (+), black is 12 v (-)

thats what i used for most of my led's, or you can use the 12v (-) ground, but the only place i found (+) power is the 5v from the molex

glueMEgus

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 04:16:00 PM »

^^^^ exactly what i did. id recommend it

AlienationECX

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 11:31:00 AM »

where is the molex wires?
like i said, im really new to this.

circle1011

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 11:38:00 AM »

Its the yellow wire coming from the power supply to the hard drive.

6r4c3_uNd3r_f!r3

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 11:43:00 AM »

just to clarify: yellow is 12v and red is 5v.

if youre putting leds in the controller ports and your xbox has a daughterboard, you can just solder it to each 5v souce (red wire) at the back of the daughterboard. in that way you wont be splicing any wires.

heres a tut:  http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/port-leds.php

This post has been edited by 6r4c3_uNd3r_f!r3: Dec 20 2003, 07:51 PM

Muntzster

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »

yea dude.. ur fan is 7 if ur resistor for some reason fits it.. and makle sure u do use a resitor or ull blow up ur leds

Gman110

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »

I had the same question, can someone please show me where exactly to connect the wires to, a small pic, or tutorial would be helpfull

mhr_54

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »

Connect a wire from the red wire that goes to the hard drive to a 1k resistor, then connect the 1k resistor to your first LED, then connect this LED to the second, etc.  When you get to the last LED, connect its lead to the black wire going to the hard drive.  LEDs are polarity sensitive, so make sure you connect the last LED's long wire to the black, and the first LED's short wire to the red, then just connect each LED in the chain's short lead to the ones next to its long lead.  And the long lead to the short lead.  Sorry if this sounds confusing, but in reality, it's a fairly simple concept (actually doing it can be annoying though, especially if the leads fall off).

vona_a

• Archived User
Help On Led Lighting!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 02:56:00 PM »

Connect a wire from the red wire that goes to the hard drive to a 1k resistor, then connect the 1k resistor to your first LED, then connect this LED to the second, etc. When you get to the last LED, connect its lead to the black wire going to the hard drive

Not to nitpick, but this is pretty useless advice depending on the amount of LEDs being used and the forward voltage that each LED will draw.

FIRST: each LED has a recommended amount of current to draw... lets call this current I. Next, theres a Voltage rating this LED will have... it says that when the led is drawing I amount of current it will drop V amount of voltage. using these two values you CALCULATE the amount of resistance needed per led (theres a posted thread at the top of the forum that does an excellent job in showing how to calculate value).

SECOND: your recommending chaining the LEDS in series to eachother, on a 5V source with a 1K resistor..... thats insane.  hook up more than 2 LEDS like that and you'll be lucky if they come on at all, never mind very dimmly.... especially if your using the higher voltage LEDS.

Please, dont follow this advice... and mhr_54, if you dont know FOR SURE if your idea will work, please post that its only your thoughts, and not for certain....