xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Booting Into Msdash  (Read 191 times)

Bizzley

• Archived User
Booting Into Msdash
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »

Hi there!
First of all I'm a big newbie in the consoles world so please bear the stupidness of this topic  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Recently I have bought an used xbox console. Here are the specs:

- chip - DuoX 2 Lite
- dash - EvoX
- it's a 1.3 console
- custom 250 GB hdd

The console itself it's working perfectly so far, but I can't force it to load into original dash. When I'm pressing the eject button it starts, but it's loading Evox, the same as if I pressed the power button. I've opened the console and the chip is placed correctly (I have checked with the schematics on the creators page). The BT cable is placed correctly. I can run the original dash from evox menu so I don't know what's the reason for this. Maybe the solution is really simple  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Or someone could tell me if there's another way to disable the chip?

bc54

• Archived User
Booting Into Msdash
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:39:00 AM »

i would say check your BT connection. but, you might not want to run the xbox with the modchip off and a upgraded hard drive. unless of course you have successfully locked it, but if you say you don't know much about xbox modding, then you probably have not locked it.
i wish i could help more, but it sounds like a BT prob

litspliff

• Archived User
Booting Into Msdash
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »

it sounds like BT is bridged (not used).

if BT isn't hooked up to your eject PCB, then it won't make a difference what button you start with.
if you need to boot to m$dash, just put it into your bootpath, or patch a different bootpath to your bios of choice.

otherwise, add M$dash as an application...that's what i do.

justtaint

• Archived User
Booting Into Msdash
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »

Bizzley, post a pic of the install.  I can understand why you'd occasionally want to disable the modchip, but without a pic its difficult to diagnose.

What BC54 is getting at is that if the HD isn't locked, starting up the Xbox with the modchip disabled will throw an error.  Since you purchased this already modded, its possible that it is still unlocked.  Its a pretty simple process to lock the HD, but lets cross that bridge as it comes.

Show a pic of the mobo focusing on the BT point and the chip itself.

Bizzley

• Archived User
Booting Into Msdash
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

It's quite hard to make pictures because wires are really thin, and my camera won't catch them. Anyway I can guarantee it's soldered as it should (there are only 2 wires, BT is connected to the upper left point, near the eject button, as showh here: http://www.duomodchi..._v1.2_v1.3.jpg). I dunno about the d0 though, the soldering point is really small but the seller said that it was done by a pro... Let me get this straight what I want to accomplish. I want to press the eject button, and then it should boot to msdash AND the chip should be disabled (it should work that way as shown in the previous link). I just want a clean, non moded console when I turn it on.

Maybe it's this hdd locking and stuff. Don't exactly know what it is about duh. If I lock the drive it would work as it should?

jinn

• Archived User
Booting Into Msdash
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »

What version is your xbox?
Maybe they did a TSOP flash and a DuoX mod.

Bizzley

• Archived User
Booting Into Msdash
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

It's stated in the first post - version 1.3

TSOP and a chip? Well this is an idea, I didn't thought about that... It would explain why after pressing the eject button it boots to the evox. How I can check what BIOS is loaded in the eeprom? (in the evox, in the place where the info about bios should be, there's an empty space...) And is the flashing of it safe?

bc54

• Archived User
Booting Into Msdash
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »

whoah, tsop and modchip. thats crazy. if it could be a tsop, try removing the chip and booting it up. if it is a tsop, then it should boot to evox without the chip, if it is not a tsop, then it will boot to ms dash.
also, just in case it is not a tsop, and it boots to ms dash, put in the original hard drive. if you don't have it anymore, then it should boot to an error 5.

This post has been edited by bc54: Apr 10 2009, 02:03 AM

litspliff

• Archived User
Booting Into Msdash
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »

when you boot with the eject button, does the DuoX2 light up (flashing red)?
if it does, then you have a BT issue. the chip should only light up when it's active.

TSOP and a DuoX2 chip....seen it many times.
it's a good way to have 3 custom bios images available.

if your HD isn't locked, your not going to get a retail boot.
the retail bios will give error 5/6 if the HD is not properly locked.
locking the HD is a one-step process in evox. very easy to do.

locking your HD can cause major problems down the road, so only do it if you're going to be using xbox live, otherwise it's just not worth it.

if you want it to boot up like a regular xbox, and you don't care about XBlive, just follow my original advice.
put M$dash (xboxdash.xbe) in your bootpath and rename to evoxdash.xbe. don't forget all the other files that go with it.

it's that simple.