xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Have Installed The Duo X3  (Read 242 times)

ricardorn06

• Archived User
I Have Installed The Duo X3
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »

i have just finished installing the duo X3 everything looks good; however, when i boot my xbox, nothing happens! it just boots to its original xbox boot. what went wrong?? I am i total noob so i would greatly appreciate anyones help! thanx!

bc54

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »

like other have said before me, the DuoX 3 is a fake (not really, a fake DuoX/Omega, but not a clone), you already know. i haven't had experience with these chips, but like other fakes it is low quality. did you flash a bios on, or did it come preflashed? do you have a 1.6 bios on it? do you need a 1.6 bios on it? does your bios point to a modded dashboard? if you haven't installed any dashboards, then try booting AID or another burned disk.
finally,  check to make sure all the connections are good, specifically your D0, if it boots to the original dashboard.

ricardorn06

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »

i checked it just now and i forgot to solder the D0 wire to the D0 pin( it was just place inside the hole). Now that i have done that something really weird happens. when i boot my xbox, it has to boot three time and on the third it is flashing the red and green LED. what could cause this? could it be because i haven't flashed it with any bios or anything?? since this is my first mod on an xbox i havent really messed with any flashing process because i thought that it already came flashed.
 I have an xbox v 1.0 and i installed this chip directly to the solding pins (where the mod's headers usually go as this was an option in one of the diagrams i saw.) and i connected the BT wire to the ground on the mod chip pin that connect to the mother board's ground pin.
i greatly appreciate anyones help!! thanx in advance!!

bc54

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »

ok, i did some research, and the duox 3 either comes in a cromwell/flashbios edition or 1.0-1.5/1.6 bios edition. i don't know what bios would be on the 1.0-1.5/1.6 edition but i would guess an evox. try putting it on bank0 (or 1, what ever the chip calls it). if you get a screen like this (1dt pic) then your in luck. flash the chip with a hacked bios (i recomend x2 or ind-bios if its 256kb) and make you switch the bank before flashing with the xbox on (cuz if you mess up you'll need flashbios to fix it).
about the 3 reboot frag. that happens when the mobo gets messed up. check to make sure you didn't splash any solder, and clean the mobo down with a little bit of rubbing alcohol and a towel. make sure you didn't lift any traces. that same thing happened to me when i installed my first chip. hopefully you have better luck cuz mine was toast.
i guess in a worst case scenerio you could sell the mobo cuz they will still sell even if broken.
oh, and you should always practice before you try installing, especially if this was your first time soldering. just google some soldering tuts.
-hope you get lucky

ricardorn06

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »

Hey thanx for the reply!

well i checked all the connection i have made with all the pins and i also checked the mother board. No solder splashes were present. So i desolder the mod chip because i thought that maybe some solder was connecting on the bottom of the chip and i notice that there wasnt any. i replaced everything and booted the xbox without the mod chip and it boot it just fine, no red and green LED flashing, just the old original MS boot up! My guess is that the chip was faulty, or it wasnt preflashed. Anyways, im not going to try this again with this chip at least. Do you have any suggestion on an affordable( tight buget due to college) mod chip that are actually good(unlike the Duo X3 LOL) and that are preflashed?? oh and thank you so much for taking the time to help me, you have been a tremendous help!!

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »

DuoX2 is your best bet - have a look here in BST. They come preflashed with Cromwell (linux) BIOS on one bank, and Flashbios on the other - so you'll still have to flash a hacked BIOS if you want to run Xbox games, but at least the Xbox will boot.

bc54

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 02:49:00 AM »

yeah, thats probaly a good idea. i just got a duox2 gs from litspliff about a month ago. its great. its only $13 shipped and it only took like two days to come in. check out his thread here. he also does other mods, i just got a hard drive from him and its great. you can trust him cuz he been here forever.
the duox2 is just a basic chip, no fancy lcds or other junk. but he sells the white version, cromwell/flashbios., so you'll have to flash it (don't worry its easy). if you need help getting started with it just ask. oh yeah, practice some soldering before installing it and because you have 1.0 xbox, removing the solder that is in the lpc holes is going to be a pain, so i would recomend a wired install. or if you a have de-solderer (one of those suction things) then you should be able to install it easily with the pin header method.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »

If you want to test your install. Simply ground (earth) the Xbox D0 point. this forces boot from the LPC (Chip) If the Xbox boots to the retail bios and not the hacked bios or Cromwell then the D0 point is not asoldered correctly.

ricardorn06

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »

My soldering conections were good and so was the one on the D0, and  all the xbox did was boot up 3 times( turning off and on on the second attemp and staying on on the 3rd attemp while flashing green and red LED) So im not going to re-solder the duo x3 instead im going to just by a duo X2 since many people have had experince with it.

I checked out some of the duox2 on some websites mentioned here and on some i notice that they couldnt ship to the US, does anyone know if the litspiff will ship to the US??

Again, thanks everyone! all of you have been a tremendous help!

bc54

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »

yeah, he ships to the us. i think they won't ship the blue (w/ hacked/illegal bios preflashed) to the us.
but litspliff will only sell the white version (cromwell/flashbios legal)
good luck

ricardorn06

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(bc54 @ Apr 3 2009, 02:25 AM) *

yeah, thats probaly a good idea. i just got a duox2 gs from litspliff about a month ago. its great. its only $13 shipped and it only took like two days to come in. check out his thread here. he also does other mods, i just got a hard drive from him and its great. you can trust him cuz he been here forever.
the duox2 is just a basic chip, no fancy lcds or other junk. but he sells the white version, cromwell/flashbios., so you'll have to flash it (don't worry its easy). if you need help getting started with it just ask. oh yeah, practice some soldering before installing it and because you have 1.0 xbox, removing the solder that is in the lpc holes is going to be a pain, so i would recomend a wired install. or if you a have de-solderer (one of those suction things) then you should be able to install it easily with the pin header method.

hey i resolder the chip( after testing the xbox withouth it, it booted to its original boot up menu.) and i did what you said and it booted to its oringinal menu(with the modchip!) so could this be because i didnt solder the Do wire correctly?? if so how could i solder the d0 wire to that tiny @$$ hole?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 04:51:00 AM »

I always use the alternate D0 on the underside of the board - much bigger and easier to solder. This is the best picture I can find at the moment.

bc54

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »

yeah, use the D0 on the under side of the motherboard. what i have heard is that there is a layer of protective coating on the points, so you're going to want to lightly scrape the coat on the point away, then try soldering. it a real pain, just don't try to force and take your time. if you try to force it you might burn the mobo or lift a line. make sure you tin the wire before so you don't have to add any solder directly to the D0 point.
for me, i just barely touch the wire, iron, and D0 point together until i get a connection. sometimes it takes a long time, but it is better than a ruined board.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »

To test if your D0 is good, simply unplug the chip from the pin header but leave D0 soldered to ground. The box should FRAG.
Most of the Duox3 already had a hacked bios, if the one you have is already flashed but has no custom boot screen (xecuter 2, coloured X or similar) then the box will only display the original dash with no other clue as to the chips operation. Even with the chip correctly working, you still need to install an alternate dash if you don't wish to always see the MS dash.

ricardorn06

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(bc54 @ Apr 6 2009, 11:34 AM) View Post

yeah, use the D0 on the under side of the motherboard. what i have heard is that there is a layer of protective coating on the points, so you're going to want to lightly scrape the coat on the point away, then try soldering. it a real pain, just don't try to force and take your time. if you try to force it you might burn the mobo or lift a line. make sure you tin the wire before so you don't have to add any solder directly to the D0 point.
for me, i just barely touch the wire, iron, and D0 point together until i get a connection. sometimes it takes a long time, but it is better than a ruined board.

hey everyone Just installed the duo X3, and it worked my D0 connection wasnt fully solder so i used the alternative D0 point. Now that i have it installed i see a blue "x" on the boot up and a logo of Duo X3; however, at the bottom of the logo it says for  xbox v1.6. does this mean it is not fully functional for the v1.0?? or do i need to do something else??
sorry for being such a noob and asking so many questions the thing is i dont know were else to ask.
thanx in advance to everyone!!
Pages: [1] 2