xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Duox Flashing Issues  (Read 140 times)

holymoo

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« on: August 11, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »

I had received my white DuoX chip from www.extreme-mods.com and it installed without any issues. I switched it over to the second bank and popped in the cd-rw to flash the bios. It seems like everything was going off without a hitch, but when I rebooted I get a big black screen.

To make things a little bit wierder I can here the sound of the xbox booting up in the background, but after it finishes loading the light around the eject button flickers red.

I think I somehow botched up my chip flashing, but don't know how to remedy this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

killerbootsman

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »

What version xbox do you have? What bios did you use?

holymoo

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 07:23:00 AM »

I have a version 1.0 xbox and I flashed the chip with the X2 5035 bios I got off bittorrent. Hmm, it seems after checking the latest X2 build is only 5032. I wonder if this had anything to do with it?

HackDaBox

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 08:13:00 AM »

=====================================================
= Do not use the New 5032 / 5035 X2 bios's on your Duo X2 Mochips =
=====================================================

There are to many issues with these bioses and the Duo X2 chips.
Use X2 4981.06 for V1.0 - V1.5 or Evox M8 PLus V16 for V1.6a - V1.6b.

www.HackDaBox.com

holymoo

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 08:19:00 AM »

Thank you very much. I'm going to go and flash my bios with the "EurAsia Pro Generic Flash Disc v1.2" on the preloaded cromwell side of the chip. Is this Ok, or should I do it another way?

Trying to be a little more cautious now, since I don't want a busted modchip.

HackDaBox

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 08:28:00 AM »

Choose bank 0. Boot cromwell. Flick switch to bank 1 ( using a toothpick or something small and not metal while the xbox is on ). Insert Eurasia cdrw or dvd-r. When the tray opens replace the eurasia cd with your BIOS cd. The tray will close and your bios will be flashed.

This way you are going over the top of the bad flashed bank and you will still have cromwell ( linux ) bios in case you need it again.

HackDaBox !

holymoo

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »

Honestly, I think I have a new favorite forums. Support here is great. Thanks guys!

ModdingManiac

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »

I think the issue is with Duox2 Clones.......I've flashed only one Duox2 with the new X2 and it worked fine so I can confirm it but I don't see why there would be a problem with an original.. But like Hackdabox said stick with Evox M8_Plus and Xecuter 4981, thats all you will ever need..

Chancer

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »

Some of the problems are not ones that will affect normal use. The worst one is problems if you install a virgin drive with the bios skipping the default.xbe on the bootdisc and trying to boot the HDD. I tested this with 5032 on 2 boxes and both gave problems. switching to evox and the old X2 resulted in no such problems.
I also have had evox halt on test with  2 or three chips when attempting a reflash with the 5032.. The bios however did flash with another app.

ModdingManiac

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Aug 12 2005, 12:19 AM)
Some of the problems are not ones that will affect normal use. The worst one is problems if you install a virgin drive with the bios skipping the default.xbe on the bootdisc and trying to boot the HDD. I tested this with 5032 on 2 boxes and both gave problems. switching to evox and the old X2 resulted in no such problems.

HackDaBox

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »

Hmm. I ordered some Duo X2 chips ( Blue and White ) Clones and Originals from different suppliers from around the world.

I intended to release a detailed report on what i found with some good answers but it was not an easy task. Some of the originals had problems too ! So it's not just a clone thing. I tried flashing with every flashing app available and the Clone's had a hard time flashing with the X2 5032 / X2 5035 yet when flashed with X2 4981.06 or Evox M8 Plus V16 there was no problems at all and the clones work 100% fine. As i said before the originals also have some problems with the new X2 bios and the bios doesn't really do anything fantastic over the older more reliable bioses. The risk is to dangerous , like chancer i had the damn thing skip the default.xbe on the dvd-r ( good disc that allways works ) so i had to flash an older bios to fix it. The Evox M8 Plus V1.6 booted the boot disc no problems.

It's just my opinion that it doesn't offer anything special and could give your customer's a headache that they or you don't need. Evox flashed the same chips over and over without problems on some chips but when it failed i tried other tools like raincoat and eurasia which also failed on the clones.

HackDaBox !

PS i never released the detailed report as it was too messy. Basically clones worked fine with old bioses and originals may or may not work it seems to depend on the exact chip you get !  Or maybe there are good clones out there that still are clones but wont take the new X2 bios ?

Chancer

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »

The 4981 does not use the ini file for the config but i have found it much more stable than the new 503* flavours. They do seem to flash fine with Eurasia.

HackDaBox

• Archived User
Duox Flashing Issues
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »

smile.gif

And i have some origianls that flash the X2 503X using Evox smile.gif

HackDaBox !