xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Having Problems Grounding A Duox 2  (Read 326 times)

Perplexer

• Recovered User
Having Problems Grounding A Duox 2
« on: January 15, 2005, 12:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Jan 10 2005, 07:14 PM)
You could temporarily ground the Lframe connection and solder the BT point on the chip to pin 9 on the chip. this will enable the chip permanent. If the box still just boots the M$ bios then indeed your D0 point is not connected correctly.

You also said
I had the idea of taking the D0 point on the chip and putting the other end of the wire to the nearest screw hole and grounding it there.

You wouldn't ground D0 from the chip; you would ground LFRAME (on the mobo).  Preferably, you would connect LFRAME to "D0" on the chip.  This, combined with Chancer's suggestion to tie BT to pin9, should cause your chip to boot.

jcain87

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »

mad.gif

jcain87

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »

I'm trying to give everyone the whole picture so sorry for all of this, but I forgot to mention that a while ago (about 4 days ago) I was resoldering a joint that was loose so I gently tugged the wire and then a trace wire camer up with it. I managed to solder the trace wire back to the point and also have the wire that was connecting that point to a point on the LPC. The rip was very small about 5mm or so. The points I'm talking about are the two that are right beside each other on the LPC rebuild.

Would this effect anything. I was still able to play games and everything else.

ckh2004

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »

jcain87, have you ever gotten DuoX 2 to work on your v1.6? Could it be that you did not switch to the correct bios bank? There are two banks of 512KB each. The default switch position gives the bank with Xecuter2 bios which will not boot in v1.6.

jcain87

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »

yea I checked both banks, and it still frags

Besides this is a CromWell\FlashBIOS edition

ckh2004

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

The Flashbios might not be compatible with v1.6. Use an older xbox version to reflash your DuoX 2 with Evox M8+_1.6 bios on one of the banks.

Why not get the normal DuoX 2 in the first place?

jcain87

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 03:14:00 PM »

Thats going to be a pain. My other xbox is a v1 and I wire installed it with an x2.2. I ordered the white version because it was a good deal at modchipman

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »

To temporary ground the Lframe just connect your wire from the Lframe (D0 if you want to call it that) to a metal ring round one of the screws on the motherboard.
Solder a wire from BT on the chip to pin 9 on the chip (Pin 9 is 2 up from the D0 pad on the chip and marked as point G on the duo installation diagram.
make sure the switch is on bank 1. this has on it the latest flash bios which is compatible with your 1.6.
If the box Frags then you have  either a faulty chip (unlikely but it can happen)
or problems with the rebuild, the LPC or the repair that you did
Its not easy from a distance to advise without seeing the work and you obviously don't have a spare chip to try. but probably best to tackle the problem as if you have only just got the mod and go through each stage checking one at a time.

Gotham

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 07:51:00 PM »

I once got a load of bad duo 2's. Problem on them was a solder splashes on the TSOP chip, have a look if you got any on yours. I ended up desoldering and then soldering the chips in manualy and hotswapping them to get a bios on. You need some expereince soldering before attempting to solder in the TSOP chip if not then try another one and redo all points on LPC and rebuild to make sure it's not a install issue. I have installed loads of Duo's and they work flawlessly on 1.6 apart from one bad batch I got.

nickels

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 03:24:00 AM »

so i have a problem installing my doux 2 its the blue and my xbox is a 1.6 i dont much care for playing on line would keeping my bt on the ninth pin and keeping my lframe grounded fry my board. so far it works with the eject but frags when i try to enable the chip. any help would be nice .

HackDaBox

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 06:37:00 AM »

No it won't harm your board but the idea of grounding do and adding a wire from bt to pin 9 is to force the chip to boot. And since your xbox is fragging now that means you have not successfully soldered the pinheader or the lpc rebuild. Please recheck all soldering and examine the mobo ( outside in the sunlight is best) for tiny balls of solder that could be shorting some pins. Once your chip boots fine then i would remove the link from bt to pin 9 and replace it with the normal wire from bt to the eject button so your chip can be disabled and enabled.

HackDaBox !