xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Bye Everyone.. I Guesse Im Going To Jail..  (Read 1046 times)

regulater7

• Archived User
Bye Everyone.. I Guesse Im Going To Jail..
« on: October 10, 2003, 07:10:00 PM »

well.. i know this isnt the right forum, i dont even know which one is lol, so plz dont get to mad, im already fucked... but i have a legal question..

well lets get started.. im 17, im a senoir and go to Wilson High, in Portland OR. USA. and recently there was a theft of some rather NEW CPU's and harddrives... (5 ATHALON BARTON XP 2500+, and 4 WESTERN DIGITIL 40GIG HARDRIVES, to be exact..they where upgrading there lab.) and some how someone said it was me.....and a few of my homies... well sense im not a "nerd" type looking person or w/e you want to call it, me and my friends stick out from the STRUT class (computer techy class) and so the cop searched my house, i was like ok come on in (after i hassled them abit about showing me there warrent.. yes they had a warrent for 600$ worth of stuff..) i let them search cuz i had not stolen the items or had any involvement.. well they came across my "backups" raughly 54 of them (lol).. and took them.... they are trying to get me on pirating software etc.. all that BS... (yes i fucked up and broke the law, buy my question is...) the warrent only let them search and sieze for "5 ATHALON BARTON XP 2500+, and 4 WESTERN DIGITIL 40GIG HARDRIVES"... couldnt i have a weed plant growing in my bedroom, and they couldnt say shit, cuz the warrent wasnt for that?? or am i mistaken and very fucked lol?? i cant belive they would do this, but my theory is they truely belive i stole the parts... cuz they said if u confess we will drop the Copyright charges...... so wtf?? did they pull a fast one on me? or did they sieze my items illegaly... thanks im very upset... and ready to fight this tell the end.. or bend over in prison lol... anyway? im afraid for nothing, or am i fucked.. thank anyone!!!!! AH!!

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 07:21:00 PM »

What they did was illegal. Unless the warrant specifically stated it was for the search of pirated software, they had no right to confiscate 'em or try to press charges on you. The cops are simply looking for a 'fall guy'. They can't find the real one, they're being pressured by many sources to find the guy, and at that point, bringing ANYONE in that could be vaguely accepted as the thief is OK in their eyes.
Get a good lawyer (do NOT skimp on the cash here.... drop out and get a job or two, if neccessary), and do not accept any deal they make with you. If you didn't do it, and you're not just trying to get out of a crime you commited, you'll win, providing you got enough cash and a lawyer that actually has balls.
Note on my advice: You may be wondering why I told him to drop out if he has to. Yes, education is worth alot, but you can barely get a job at McDonalds with a criminal record that has a theft charge on it (especially one that's larger than $500). So he could take two routes: cave in, get charged, serve time, persue his education, and eventually have a Bachelors in Electronic Engineering (for example), but be unable to get a job, or he could fight it, possibly have to drop out, get out of the bogus charges, go back to school, and get on with his life, so that EE degree can actually get him a job and, therefore, advance into life as any adult knows it.
Yes, legally, once he turns 18, the record is wiped clean. However, the charges can still be pulled up if an employer/cop really wants to, it just costs a little bit of cash (I know that for a hard-lined fact).

LepPpeR

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 07:24:00 PM »

if that backups where in plain view then they are able to bring up charges on it.  If they were hidden in a smaller area than a computer could fit then they did not have a right to search there.

RobwDav

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 07:35:00 PM »

I gotta agree w/PM.....we are not lawyers...you  want real advi -- go get it.  However, I gotta believe that they were w/in their right to seize the backups.  I'm sayin, if you had weed, or a gun (they believed coulda been used in somen) or w/e....they could seize, and inquire later.........However, do I believe the "local popo" took you video game backups NO.  C'mon now, how the H- is the local Barney and Andy gonna know what they're lookin at foreal....there's gotta be ish you're not talkin bout.....and I don't blame ya  -it's your bus biggrin.gif

When they start suin' 12yr old girls for stockpilin Nsync Mp3s, is when I'll believe one bullet Barney locked you up for Fn M$.......................................wait unsure.gif

RobwDav

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 07:40:00 PM »

Unless I misread.......he mentioned some hdds being stolen also....so I gotta assume the coppers were looking for these........

That being said, it's prolly safe to say the "size of location" theory is a no go....IMO

RobwDav

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 07:48:00 PM »

LMFAO.......what race is he? hahahha......dude you won't do any time over this....unless you're some bada- who's swung twice already.....

shank69xo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 07:54:00 PM »

Get a good lawyer. If the warrant didnt specify the backups as items listed for search and seizure then they were takin illegally. But illegally seized or not, they got them now, even if they obtained them unlawfully. The state CAN and WILL do what they want. Thats why so many people are wrongfully imprisoned. Get a LAWYER now. And worst case.. You didnt make the backups. You dont know where they came from. And get rid of your modded XBOX. And if you still have your PC HD. take a magnet to it, if you have any illegal apps or BIOS on it.

regulater7

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 08:01:00 PM »

lol thanks for the advice.. thats funny, cuz im white, and the cop was black.. lol.. well im trying to stay postive.. and they where in plain site..... right next to my TV in my room, im DVD JEWEL CASES all stacked......... im fucked...

krobby

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »

Yeah, i'd definitely be going out to buy all the originals without anyone finding out that you JUST bought them now.

shank69xo

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 09:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (bebrewer1 @ Oct 11 2003, 05:27 AM)
Getting a GOOD aggressive lawyer is your best path from here.  Here's the facts that he/she will tell you-

1.) If it wasn't on their warrant, they can suck your ass.  We are talking about video game backups here not drugs or illegal weapons.

2.) Probably most important, the local police have NO jurisdiction over software piracy.  The laws that govern backups, etc are federal not local.  If TechTV does segments on how to backup your games to a hard drive on the Xbox then I don't think you are going to be labeled an Al Queda member.  I don't think the FBI will give a rats ass when Barney Fife calls saying "Duh, we like found some DVD backups of some games in this kids house".

3.) Don't talk to the police at all about anything.  If they are talking to you, they are trying to pin something on you and will manipulate your words.  If you do talk to them, record every conversation and make a copy of the tape for your lawyer.

The best advice you can get. DO NOT SPEAK TO THE PIGS ANYMORE>
That is most important

fizgig10

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2003, 09:10:00 PM »

Jesus Christ!!  I'm gonna get some popcorn, pull up a chair and see what happens in this thread.

Law and Order bites my nutts compared to this!

iquid-!ce

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2003, 12:21:00 AM »

i know you only had 54 backups and the person im going to mention had over 1.5 tb of copyrighted stuff.... but ill say it anyways.you need to get your self a good lawyer NOW as there cracking down on piracy alot did anyone not see the chap on tech tv who got caught with about 1.5 tb of copyrighted stuff on his comp and got 2 years? i know he was into the cracking and release of copyrighted programs but the us goverment seems to be getting real tough with piracy and id call 54 pirated games quite a collection for them to prosecute against. look at the few hundred people they took to court over sharing music on kazaa a while back. im suprised they never got a warrant and came back to search your pc for more copyrighted material. and as for an illegal search i think youll find that that wont stand up in court as the last time i lokked a barton chip was small enough to fit in a dvd case and once they opend one and found pirated software you lost your rights as youd broke the laew

robgue

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2003, 01:02:00 AM »

huh.gif

Hoppy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2003, 01:28:00 AM »

1.  Get your Computer, Modded Xbox, and any sort of documents pertaining or hinting at piracy out of your home and store them at a friends house.  (one you know you can trust and isn't also under police scrutiny).

2. Get a lawyer.

3.  If the cops call you or want to talk to you at all, tell them to speak to you through your lawyer.

4.  Stay chill about it all because you are innocent with the processors at least.

Cops love to use fear as a bargaining chip.  Maybe they will get you on piracy, however, they may also be telling you they'll drop the charge if you confess because they want to get you on something at least so they can justify their bullshit warrant.  My buddies little brother was in trouble with the law before.  Supposedly he was making threating phone calls to his Ex's house.  One day a cop came to his house and talked to him in his car.  He goes "Look, we've got evidence on this audio tape so why don't you just confess".  He simply told him "Play it.  If you've got evidence I want to hear it".  Needless to say, the case was dropped.

*edit*
Normally I'm against this sort of thing, but your story pisses me off, and if they don't pin any sort of charges against you for anything, a lawsuit might be fun.  Nothing outrageous like a million bucks like some of these fucking assholes around this country.  But if you can get a nice sum to help pay for college tuition, it'd be worth it.  Talk to a lawyer about it AFTER everything is said and done.  Don't start screaming lawsuit till you know if your 100% free and clear.

bebrewer1

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2003, 07:25:00 AM »

ohmy.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8