xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Evox X-chip Bios V1.0 : Pro's / Cons  (Read 55 times)

christineyoung

• Archived User
Evox X-chip Bios V1.0 : Pro's / Cons
« on: July 10, 2004, 07:16:00 AM »

Well like everyone, it seems all information pertaining to this chip was kept secret until released, and still not much known about this chip.

So let's start praising or bashing the X-Chip's BIOS features and see if our request can be heard, and product improved:

Pro's
====
- X-Control PC Software easy to use
- Backup/Restore EEPROM
- Password protection
- Harddrive key displayed
- lock/unlock harddrive
- Play unsigned code/DVD's
- disabled modchip for xbox live, nice and simple no switched needed
- Evox crew created or worked on so know reliable and trustworthy code
- Install software for PC side
- 1.0 - 1.5, and 1.6 support

Con's
====
- No LCD Support
- 5 Minutes to write whole 4 MB file through USB
- Better allignment/connection diagnostics then red light on ( this just indicates getting 5V power from what i gathered )

This is just a sample of my pro's/con's of chip...but I advide others to post whatthey like/hate as i want more implementations developed, and seeinga s developers only see one path maybe they need to be suggested other features to ad.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 07:33:00 AM »

LCD is a gimmic, not a con. Give me a comparison of flashing a 4mb bios with some other chip/device.

christineyoung

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 07:58:00 AM »

tongue.gif

But in current market place all new generation modchips have LCD capabilities, SmartXX, XENIUM, and future X3.  But then again if your crazy to pay an extra $25 for LCD go ahead, will not be a worthwhile toy in my opinion.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

Yer but you still have to solder custom wires/connections to xenium for LCD. So, really, only XBMC supports it AFAIK.

twisted.penguin

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »

QUOTE (christineyoung @ Jul 10 2004, 03:19 PM)
Con's
====
- No LCD Support
- 5 Minutes to write whole 4 MB file through USB
- Better allignment/connection diagnostics then red light on ( this just indicates getting 5V power from what i gathered )

My only real addition to that is that the chip dosent hug the pinheader's well, and is quite loose. Apart from that, I love the Xchip, love the USB flash, and personally think its overall a great product. Cheers EZB2K  beerchug.gif

As far as the Evox Xchip Bios, meh, It's ok, but soon after I re-flashed my chip with the cromwell bios, and my other bio's.