xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1.4 Ghz Xbox...  (Read 101 times)

XDelusion

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« on: November 27, 2003, 07:47:00 PM »

I recall this being announced that some company in Europe or Japan or someplace had found a way to put a 1.4 Ghz CPU in an XBOX, and it also had a switch to toggle between the new speed and the old. This was supposed to go on sale this month, but I have not heard a word.

So I wonder, is this bull or not?

TheMuffinMan

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 07:53:00 PM »

Ah, I heard about this too, to my knowledge, it's been a hoax, since nothing has come out of it since then

ryrules1

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 08:01:00 PM »

HOAX ( i think lol)

ACS

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 08:11:00 PM »

never heard of it but a wile back i saw a post about some guy that did it himself. Don't think it was on xbox-scene however.

vona_a

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 09:02:00 PM »

Considering the CPU is a BGA package, and these things cant be added/removed without a really expensive machine, I highly doubt that anybody outside of a major corp. has done it.....

They are custom chips afaik.... you'd have to be really good (or know someone at Intel) to figure out what has been added/changed as well as a pin layout.

About the only way I could see this possible is if somehow Intel left a way to increase the clock multiplier, and these CPU's are good enough to be OC'd that high.

v_m_vigilante

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 02:27:00 AM »

I'm not sure if this company is what you are looking for, but check out:

http://www.friendtech.com/

see the "DreamX" thingy in the "gaming console upgrades".

Don't know if this is a hoax as well though. Looks good still.

.V.

Pele76

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 02:45:00 AM »

QUOTE (vona_a @ Nov 28 2003, 05:51 AM)
Considering the CPU is a BGA package, and these things cant be added/removed without a really expensive machine, I highly doubt that anybody outside of a major corp. has done it.....

They are custom chips afaik.... you'd have to be really good (or know someone at Intel) to figure out what has been added/changed as well as a pin layout.

About the only way I could see this possible is if somehow Intel left a way to increase the clock multiplier, and these CPU's are good enough to be OC'd that high.

Nope, they are not custommade for Xbox. The CPU is a regular PCBmounted CPU. In sweden there has been a company that sold Xboxes with 1.4Ghz. They were imported from china I think. The Chinese company bought original Xboxes, desoldered the old CPU and resoldered a new 1.4Ghz. The price if I recall it right was around 7000 swedish crowns. Thats approx $800.

I guess the button that were used to clock it down to 733 was just a simple multiplier switch, but thats just guessing.

Pele76

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 03:06:00 AM »

Sorri, seems like it was made in Japan. The CPU is a regular Tualatin 1.4GHz. Some has suggested that a volt-mod also must be done in order to get it to work but thats fairly simple.

Heres a pdf

circle1011

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 05:28:00 AM »

Yeah from all the pictures i would say its real,

Blind_Samurai

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2003, 06:44:00 AM »

(IMG:http://xbox.upgrade123.com/albums/album03/xbx2_cpu_1.jpg)

I think it looks quite real. I guess they somehow desoldered CPU and soldered in an modified version of their adapters. I can't wait till somebody gets their hands on it....

vona_a

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2003, 07:06:00 AM »

Well, looks like they are using an adaptor at least. I guess I was wrong about the CPU having custom instructions solely for the XBOX... hmm, let me try and see where I read that initially, I was sure it was directly from ms.

I still stand behind the fact that desoldering the CPU and soldering in another one isnt something that anyone here can do... and locating a machine to do it isn't easy.

Pele76

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 07:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (vona_a @ Nov 28 2003, 03:55 PM)
I still stand behind the fact that desoldering the CPU and soldering in another one isnt something that anyone here can do... and locating a machine to do it isn't easy.

Nope, that sounds quite hard. I guess it would requires some sort of desolderingstation... Not the esiest thinf to come across if youre not a pro. And then you would need the CPU and some other stuff to get it work properly...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that that little blu pcb with the little chip on it on the picture that Samurai posted is the Voltage mod.

EDIT2: After a closer look I now se that the blue pcb extends under the CPU. Probably the adapter thar Samurai is talking about. I guess the voltmod is included on that also.

This post has been edited by Pele76: Nov 28 2003, 03:52 PM

bcforn64

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 08:19:00 AM »

I want one of these boards! This whole thing sounds like another one of those underground Chinese businesses. I wonder if in Hong-Kong if there is any software available to take advantage of the new CPU increase? With all the bootlegging going on there there has to be some custom software to warrent people actually buying one of these boards. I wonder if Xbox Linux recognises the new chip as a new foriegn CPU, I'm sure it would be able to see the Clock cycle with a CPU clock program.

Pele76

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2003, 08:29:00 AM »

Ofcourse Linux will handle it, And also dashboards with simple changes I guess. The only thing that would not work properly is M$ original stuff I guess.

BTW: Mayby on one of those there would be the possibility to run ps2 emulators properly?

Byrdclaw

• Archived User
1.4 Ghz Xbox...
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2003, 10:47:00 AM »

1) desoldering wouldn't be too hard for a pro to do, hot air soldering stations work wonders

2) I don't see how a bigger heatsink and a little PCB make ya'll think this thing is real.