xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Xbit 1.5 W/adapter In 1.6b Xbox  (Read 1035 times)

Thephost

• Archived User
Xbit 1.5 W/adapter In 1.6b Xbox
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »

Everything you need to install a 1.5 xbit in a 1.6 box is here in this thread.

These are the steps I followed.

1. Rebuild LPC following the DMS instructions.

2. Adapter install following the DMS instructions with the following exceptioins
--a. The Brown wire to LPC Pin 1(square pad) and the Green wire to LPC Pin 2

--b. Using the DVD power cable included with the chip, cut the black wire out completely. The red wire is connected to the orange wire from the adapter. Cover the connection to protect it from shorting out.

3. Flash with M8_16

4. Format and install using your favorite dash/boot CD

Notes: 2b is an option. The mod will work by soldering the orange wire to the LPC as shown on the DMS instructions. The only reason I did this was to prevent the xbit from always being powered up when the Xbox was in standby (Power cord plugged into the outlet). This provides the benifit of no longer need to unplug your Xbox when you change the switch settings on the XBIT.
I also found it easier to do the LPC rebuild after soldering the adapter wires into the LPC port.

somatik1

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »

I have done this right and looks like good wiring, but not sure yet. Still have to double check since there are still some issues.
once I have done the adapter install following the DMS instructions, it seems like the pogo pins don't touch properly due to the soldered adapter on the board. I don't know how to to get it right so the pins can touch and align with the holes while having the adapter soldered in there.

Although, having everything else connected and formatted the chip using M8+, I get the FRAG. GREEn-GREEN- RED and flashing afterwards. Not sure if because I need M8+_16, or if will simply work with M8+?

please let me know

somatik1

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »

could it also be that it's not soldered properly? I did follow the steps on DMS for LPC rebuild under the board and adapter soldering on the top-side of the motherboard.

Thephost

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »

You MUST use a 1.6 version bios with the 1.6 motherboard. Anything else will be reconized as an incompatable bios and WILL NOT WORK.

Always double and tripple check your solder work. Any mistakes at best will result in the mod not working, at worst you could fry your box.

somatik1

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »

ThePhost,

I did double check wiring and everything is peachy! I tried to take out the chip and I can still boot to normal M$Dash and play non-copied games just fine. So I guess the board is ok.
After having all wired and soldered properly, I put the chip in and I believe I tried M8_16 and M8+_16 and having problems for both.
I didn't wire the red cable with orange, so when I put in the power cord, the LED light is on the outer xbit board(jumper selection board).
I tried slot 4(on-on-off) which has bios 4 and 3 and does not work.
Tried slot 5(off-off-on), which has bios 5, 4, 3 and 2 and does not work as well.
Tried slot 6(on-off-on), which has bios 6, 5, 4 and 3, this also does not work.
Certain ones that I flash make the Xbox power light go GREEN-GREEN-and flash RED/GREEN, which I know it's not the wiring because other bioses make it boot but not read cds?
I really don't know what could make this not work?

somatik1

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »

Another success.
IT WORKS. This whole time I had the adapter cable soldered in the wrong place!!!
Do not follow the adapter solder from the DMS site, ONLY FROM THIS FORUM.

I will have an attachment soon with instructions on how to setup properly.
my email is [email protected]

for more info, I will gladly assist you.

blackshotgun05

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2005, 05:51:00 AM »

I have a similair problem to the rest of you here in that I've followed all instructions, done the LCP rebuild and tried both ways round for the green and brown wires.  Everything I try makes it either switch on twice and then
FRAGs or it starts with the standard MS-BIOS  (depending which way round the green and brown wires are)

As other people have noted when switch 4 is on it starts with the generic bios.

I've tried the M8_16 and M8plus_16 bios' and nether work.  They verify correctly and i've tried different banks.  I do have the dip switches set correctly and I've tried incorrect settings with the same results.

One thing though - will the xbox boot up and show the evoX logo without the hard disk and DVD drive installed - it's a pain trying to put it all back together for each test!

Also does the mod chip have to be grounded or does the power wire from the DVD drive do this?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

somatik1

• Archived User
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »

email [email protected]
I will send bioses and install instuctions in word document
THANX to ThePhost.

Thephost

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »

somatik,
Gald to hear your install works.
TFP

thecagey01

• Archived User
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »

Ok, I just did a 1.5 xbox just to see if it was the computer I was using. It was! I used my other computer and it worked the first time. So, I built a 1.6 last night. DMS HAS fixed the picture finally! I built the LPC and soldered the adapter wires as ThePhost has shown in this post. I noticed that the wired interface between the 1.5 chip and the 1.6 adapter can be plugged in backwards! make sure that that is plugged in correctly. If I remember right, the red wire goes to the right of the 1.5 chip and the left of the 1.6 adapter (if you are looking at them from the top of the chips).  I also noticed that some xboxes have a thicker clear coat on the mother board. The solder will stick to the clear coat, but not melt all the way through it. I had to melt the clear coat with a little flux and hold the soldering iron on the connection point for 5 seconds. Dont do it for more than that as it may cause damage to the board. Try soldering the orange wire to its proper place on the LPC if you get it to work then remove it and try soldering the red wire to it from the dvd cable as Thephost did. I also found a great web site that has all the xbox BIOS' and you dont need to join anything, you just click and download. My E-mail is [email protected]. I hope this helps someone.

SpyBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2005, 09:45:00 PM »

ok DMS has a great chip none the less, the tutorials for older xbox versions are good, BUT, the new 1.6 is not well documentend, i had to hunt for a GOOD tutorial on this, i heard i needed those 30awg wires to rebuild the LPC (radioshack, under 5 bucks), i never knew i had to use those untill someone mention it on xbins help. i am really wondering why I DONT have those LPC wires in the 1.6 adapter package????  blink.gif
I had inverted the green and brown wires also, it was not funny to redo those 2 wires, IF ONLY i had broken my motherboard or something else, DMS wont even care. So WHY are people succesfully installing modchips, in this case XBIT 1.5 on 1.6 xbox, NOT creating complete Tutorials to help others?? i dont get it.
I am about to rebuild the lpc now after installing the adapter, i'm goint to use 28awg wires because i had read on earlier posts that i only need 30awg wires because of the tiny holes, then i will flash the m8plus_16 onto the chip i will boot for the first time.

Some times, only when i cant find HOWTOs to do the work and having to SCRATCH the net to find them, i think people behind DMS are noobs who dont really care about the ppl. who are they anyway. but like i said they have a really good modchip.

SpyBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »

ok done, i have a new 1.6 modded working xbox with the xbit 1.6 adapter.

but really, pictures tells it all. as for what you said about the DVD cable which came with the chip, i dont know if i need to plug the red and black wires onto the chip instead of cutting and desoldering another wire. can you upload a picture about that 5v power thing?? my xbit is powered on even if the xbox is off, xbox power cable connect.

SpyBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

here's some picture of my motherboard work, i have only 2 mods on it for now, i just got a new xbox last week.

http://img207.exs.cx...snapshot6mf.jpg

i came into conclusion to simply disconnect the RED and BLACK wires from the modded DVD power cable and solder ONLY the RED wire under the motherboard onto the pin # 10 from the DVD power locations pins then i would solder the RED wire to the unsoldered(if you had soldered it to the LPC already like i did) ORANGE wire from the LPC.

The thing is i dont know how to disconnect both RED and BLACK wires without broken the wires attached to them :/ and then reconnect the wires which are attached to them to the white box(dont know the name)

if you dont want to have your DVD power cable to always be connected to your xbit adapter, then taking it off to then solder it to the back of the mobo is the way to go.

ezspooner

• Archived User
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »

Hi, i've read the forums, and am pretty sure i know what to do, this is going to be my first soldering attempt so i thought i'd get it straight in my head first.  before i ask a question, a suggestion for THEPHOST:

your first post in this topic was almost ideal but to clear up your diagram of the adapter install (i noticed alot of people appeared to be confused by it), how about changing the numbers of rearranged brown and green cables while keeping the order you have them in, so brown is (2) and green is (3) so it is clear that they should simply be swapped.  I'd do it myself but i don't want to take credit for your work.

my questions:

1. can i butcher the 11 cable wire connector, meant for V1.0-v1.5 install in order to get the wires needed for the LPC rebuild?

2. Where have you guys been fixing the chip, adapter and hub boards? I would like to keep everything within the case so it looks unmodded and i never change the dip switches anyway.  in the past i've screwed the chip to the motherboard and left the hub behind the DVD drive, wrapped in a piece of the bag it came packaged in but i feel i might need something more secure since there will effectively be a long chain of boards knocking around inside.

many thanks

Thephost

• Archived User
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2005, 08:22:00 AM »

EZSpooner,
Go ahead and make the changes, the work wasn't exactly mine, it was information I had read other places in this forum and was what I had to do in order to get my install to work properly.

The 11 wire cable can be taken apart if needed, I kept them just in case I needed it later. I purchased some really small wire (smaller than the wire used in the cable even) to do the rebuild. I found it easier to manipulate.

As for affixing it inside the case. I removed the pogo pins, the little pokey things on the bottom, and used some double stick tape and stuck it to the inside of the case. Make sure that itÂ’s insulated from shorts and it won't be pushed on by the case lid when you reinstall it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7