xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Box Frags With Chip Off.  (Read 137 times)

christineyoung

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« on: July 17, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »

Are you sure hd is locked? and if your harddrive make/model is lockable?

Have you tried your original harddrive in unit for a test?

mdaniels7

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »

Just tried the old hard drive for a test and the same thing happens. When in stealth mode the box frags. What could be the cause? Wht is the solution?

ChrisF

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

Just so it's clear - you can boot the hacked bios (says Xecuter on boot) with chip enabled but with chip disabled your Xbox frags?

I would take the chip out and see what happens.  This is an odd problem.  I'd review the switch settings to make absolutely sure you are using them right.  If you are, a reinstall may solve your issues (which would be convenient since you have to take the chip out to test the box without it anyway - it may just be an odd bridge that is preventing D0 from being ungrounded but still disables the chip - weird symptom).

mdaniels7

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »

Ok I took out the chip and the original dashboard booted but when i reinstalled it the same thing happens when in stealth mode box frags. So wht can be the case do youthink its a faulty chip I moved it around took it out and reinsalled it and when i finally got it sitting right again and tried the stealth mode the same thing happened. Do you think its the chip?

mdaniels7

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 10:10:00 AM »

Now there is another problem the chip is only good for one shot. When i cut my box off and then back on the original dash boots
WTF MAN! Cant the chip just work right. $h#^ when i finally get the hacked bios to boot it works fine but the minute i cut the box off then back on the original MS dash boots even without the chip being in stealth. Whats wrong is it a faulty chip just had it to where the stealth mode didnt work now its the chip will boot but when i cut the box off then back on the original dash boots and i have to set the chip in all over again and then when i cut it off after i get it to boot to the hacked bios the minute i cut it on only the original dash boots . Pls some one help i am gettin to the point where i want to just throw the box in a pool. grr.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 10:12:00 AM »

Sounds like your problem is on the chip or related to it.  Did you do the stealth mode wire to use the buttons (that thin little wire with a small capacitor that was included) or are you just flipping the chip on/off with the provided dip switches (try a lot of combinations in case you have something wrong - if there are 4 banks there are only 16 unique combos).

Ichijoe

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »

Sounds like you need to use XBTool.exe (hosted on X-S in the Tool's section).

Use an older Xecuter2 BIOS say 4981.67 (since you have a 250GB HHD),
and set the Boot order to whatever you wish.

But I think the defaut is:

Default-xbe (Game Disc)
Avalaunch.xbe
Evox.xbe
Xboxdash.xbe

So you may wish to check the spelling convention used and make sure
that it is properly reflected in the BIOS. (i.e. Avalaunch.xbe to Boot the
Avalaunch Dashboard.

mdaniels7

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 02:00:00 PM »

So the avalaunch dashboard is the original M$ dash?

PhiPsi

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »

Mine does the same thing and I have read my A$$ off trying to find the solution. I read somewhere I thing here in the tutorals. taht it has to do with the live itself. I have a verision 1.0 box with an x-bit also. I use slayers install disk. I never had live on the box until after my mod. now i have live and can not disable my chip without it fragging. I will see if i can find that read for you...I remember that we would have to delete file and then have live update....but that is from memory and its been awhile since i read it....hope it helps....and  your not alone...i just have not messed with it yet........hope this helps

Here is what i have found....seeing that i never had live to begin with This would not work...http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/error21.php

SteveOA

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 10:08:00 PM »

one of your traces is cut.  My did the same thing, most likey from trying to set your d0 point it split a trace get a magnify glass and lok around that point for anything out of the ordinary

PhiPsi

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 06:44:00 AM »

If one of the traces was damaged on install would it not work at all? just woundering myself as i would like to get  mine working as well.....how did you fix your trace? With a jumper or did you add alittle soder??? thanks

ChrisF

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »

QUOTE (PhiPsi @ Jul 27 2004, 02:47 PM)
If one of the traces was damaged on install would it not work at all? just woundering myself as i would like to get  mine working as well.....how did you fix your trace? With a jumper or did you add alittle soder??? thanks

Depends on the trace.  Trace damage around the LPC can result in a perfectly working stock xbox but no chip will boot off the LPC and you will only get a frag (the LPC is superfluous to a stock Xbox - they just left it in the design).  Trace damage in other areas can be much more problematic.  Around D0 or other bios related areas you may get a frag with no chip in the box whatsoever.  In other areas the whole thing could be shot.

So far as fixing - this is small work.  Motherboard repair is a skill.  Generally the people who run into this problem are ill equipped from a skill standpoint and if the area is very small from an equipment standpoint.  You need to complete the trace in some way - that could be with a wire, that could be creating a jumper between two points that are connected by design.  Personally, I draw the line at fixing MB damage.  I don't have that skillset and I hand it to a professional.

Rendell

• Archived User
Box Frags With Chip Off.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 12:53:00 AM »

Yep , sage advice.

It is possible that the box will boot up fine with a lifted trace. In my case it didnt. I soldered a wire to each end of the trace that was lifted and it certainly is SMALL work but if you are confident soldering then i say go for it. My trace was the one right next to the d0 point. I had never modded a box or even soldered before.

A multi meter test will verify which trace it is. Using a pin scrape of the plastic coating on the point at the ends of the trace and press the multimeter points into these.