xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbit Not Working  (Read 124 times)

FunkmaztafoX

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« on: December 06, 2003, 02:28:00 PM »

sounds like you're having a connection issue with the d0 point. ENSURE that it is making good connection and scrape it slightly and then rub both the pins and the d0 point as well as the LED's with some cotton balls and rubbing alcohol. BE CAREFUL THOUGHT!

corporal35

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 06:59:00 PM »

The only thing that worked for me is dvd-r.You didnt say what error code your getting or if your bios is working or if your getting your led light.

corporal35

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 09:19:00 PM »

Follow largepig's tutorial and color your bios so you know for sure if it is loading.

nalo

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 09:25:00 PM »

Dealing with d0:

problem:  its hard to get that big pogo to connect solidly with d0 becuase d0 is really small.

solution:  enlarge d0.

how?  it's easy.  
1) Call local auto supply store.  Ask for the conductive paint used to repair rear window defroster wires.  
2) Go there.  
3) Buy it for about $8-10.  
4) Go home.
  4.5)if you didn't already, take out the IDE cable from the mobo.  It's worth it so you can see stuff better.
5) Screw your xbit into place, making sure that all the pogo pins snap into their holes on the LPC port.  Wiggle it around and make sure its where it wants to be.
6) Find the pogo pin that is closest to d0, and using a pencil or fine marker, mark the approximate location of the d0 pogo on the mobo (this step is not neccessary if the pogo pin is on d0 already)
7) Remove the xbit and set aside.
8) Gently scrape d0 with something small and sharp.  You dont need to get all the plastic, just remove enough so that some shiny, scratched metal is showing.  While you're scraping stuff, you might as well scrape the rings that make up the LPC port.  Just insert a knife tip into the hole and spin it.  The places that get shiny are the only ones where the pogos will make contact anyway.  As long as your preparing stuff, might as well clean or scrape the pogos on the chip.
9) Get some bright light on your exposed mobo.  Now, using something really thin (I used a little jeweler's screwdriver) paint some paint onto d0.  
10) Start by putting a little drop right down into the d0's ring.  
11) Now, making sure not to get paint on any other little rings, apply a little bit of paint to the board.  Draw a little line of paint over to and beyond the point where the pogo that was intended to contact d0 touched down on the board.
12)  inspect your work.  If you got paint where you didn't want it, dont panic.  To remove unwanted paint, simply let it dry just until the glossiness dissapears (20 seconds?) and then scrape it away. (A long wedge cut from a disused credit card works well) Be careful if using a metal scraper, if you scrape away to coating and expose the traces, shorts could occur.
13)  about 2 minutes from the first application of paint, reapply (It'll be easier to control where the paint goes this time, it'll kinda stick to the dried paint).
14)  let it dry.  I decided that the best way to dry the chip was to blow some hot dry air across the paint while gently raising its surface temperature, so I reassembled the xbox and played some games for about half an hour.  Maybe you should wait longer, like 24 hours or whatever, but I didn't.
15) Reinstall your xbit.  Put your yellow and black wires in first, and get them all threaded to the exterior, and get of the slack taken out of the wires.
16) Position the xbit and spacer.  Thread the mounting screw into the screw thingy the absolute minimun distance to not come out.  
17) Line up the XBit so that all the Pogos are above the LPC as they should be and that the d0 pogo is above or touching the paint.  Avoid scraping the pogo across the paint from side to side, as it is possible for the paint to flake off.  With the xbit in what looks like a good position, press it down with your hand, compressing the pogo pins.  Gently wiggle the chip and feel as all the pogos snap into place.  When it is in what looks like a good place, while still holding it down, tighten the screw.  Place the chip where you want it and then use the screw to hold it there.  Dont use the screw to move the chip.
18) Get your eyes down low and see that d0 is making good contact with the paint.  If you want make damn sure the connection is made, you can apply a little more paint which will stick to the pogo and to the paint trace.  When you see the paint form that nice fillet between the paint and the metal, you know contact is made.   Might as well be soldered, you say to yourself.
19)  put xbox back together.  
20)  Use XBTOOL to change your bios .bin so that the power LED is changed color.  Also, I like to change to colors of the xbox logo.  Make it something drastically different.  Be aware that the power led will be green immediately following power on, and then will turn red about the time the xbox logo is displayed.
21) Flash your xbit.  Be sure to put 256k bios' in 256k slots.  I used m7 and placed it in slot 5 in memory configuration 5.  

If it works, you're done.  If it doesn't work, the contact between the pin and d0 was not your (only) problem.

nalo

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 09:52:00 PM »

Still doesn't work?  Xbox boots like your xbit's not there but you have a green LED?
Wierd.
Remember that the fucntion of the d0 is to inform the xbox where it should boot from.  If d0 is grounded, the xbox will boot from the bios on the LPC.
If the xbox doesnt attempt to boot from the LPC, the d0 must not be grounded.
If you did the paint stuff I talked about in the previous post, or you are confident about your d0 connection for some other reason, and d0 is not grounded, then the d0 pogo must not be grounded.  To test if this is the problem, try grounding the pin and booting the xbox.
Turn of the XBOX and take the DVD drive, HDD, and IDE cable out.
Using a probe from a multimeter or something similar, hold one contact on the top of the d0 pogo and the other on the perforated metal shielding that goes around the mobo.  While you make this contact, have a friend press the power button.  If the evoX bios boots, you've figured out why your mod chip wasnt working and are very close to permanently solving the problem.  If you want, take a few moments to reflect.  Shed a tear of joy.  Maybe go take a celebratory knife hit.
If grounding to the shielding worked, try connecting the d0 pogo and the xbit mounting screw.
If it still works, be very happy.
Remove the xbit and paint a new trace from the mounting screw hole to the d0 pogo.  
Make sure that no shiny metal traces are visible on the bottom of the chip, and then draw a new paint trace from the mounting screw hole ring to the d0 pogo pin.  Make sure that paint flows all over the ring around the mounting hole, and that the connection is solid everywhere.  Er on the side of liberality.  Be sure that some paint flows up and onto the pogo pin's post.  Wait half an hour.  Reinstall the chip.  If you find that the paint is making the chip sit unevenly and causing the pogos to make less than solid contact, remove the chip again.  Scrape off the paint that was causing problems.  Remember, the diameter of the spacer is less than the diameter of the mounting ring.
Reinstall, and with luck your new dashboard will run every time.

daveu20

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 02:13:00 PM »

can someone recommend a specific brand & store. I've been to a bunch of hardware stores and when I ask for conductive paint they look at me like Im stupid. btw, thank u for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

daveu20

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 02:13:00 PM »

specific brand of conductive paint that is.....

nalo

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 03:37:00 PM »

Not hardware stores... go to auto parts store.
Get paint used to repair rear window defroster lines.
Brand doesnt matter, but the stuff I got was permatex.
hope this helps. good luck.

NINJADC

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 11:53:00 PM »

also maplins electronics do a pen that has silver in it
work fine for my 1.5 install
just draw a line or put a blob on the pins it`s easy to use and very fine
at marking thin lines

drunkpug

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 04:19:00 AM »

if u have a hard time seeing if ur d0 is making contact do what i did

put your xbox on a very low table like maby 1.5 to 2 feet off the ground

get as much light as possible on the top on the xbox i have a lamp with 5 bulbes that are adjustable

get level with your xbox

once u are in this position u will be able to see the pin touching d0

and the pogo touching the LPC

looking at the xbox from a level plane

it is very easy to do

also make sure that u hold the chip down with your fingers into the proper spot .  U should not need any of this conductive paint.

i have put atleast 10 + chips in matrix and xbit never need any sort of extra help other than bolting down the matrix chips becaue i stripped the plastic where the screw gets held in. i ended up bolting down 2 of them

it can be done

also realise u are using the repack which has no colored bios

on most of the versions slayrds worked for me burned on a dvd+r
no cdr i tested worked.

good luck 2 u

keep in mind this is not rocket science the more u think about it the more u mess up i have found

it is a simple process dont give up it will come

also did u format your chip in mode 6

i could not get my led to light up untill i formatted in mode 6 ie 4x256 2x512

i flashed bank 6 256 with 4979_Repack

set jumpers

on off on off

good luck

follettosgorbio

• Archived User
Xbit Not Working
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 02:17:00 PM »

To discover if my problem was a matter of D0 not making contact i have done these two test:
(first of all i have tryed to enlarge a bit the d0 and olso clean with alcohol)

1 -  i have checked the all pogo pins connection and olso the D0; boot...waiting for the hi-jacking of the bios..but it was unseccesfull.
2 - i have done the same, without removing the X-bit, but grounding the d0 pogopin with the skrew: the xbox rebooted twice and on the third boot the eject light become red-green and stopped from booting without any error.
3 - i release the skrew for a little, just to move the pogopins away from D0 (the green led was on..so the xbit was functioning) and booted again with the wire grounded (d0-skrew): result, the xbox booted as usual, without the behaview of the 2 point.

So in my case, is not a problem of D0 connection but something else....
Someone could help me?